57% say only kids who win should get trophies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son took his participation finals t-shirt (loss) and crammed it in the garbage on the way off the field and I couldn't be happier about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      My son took his participation finals t-shirt (loss) and crammed it in the garbage on the way off the field and I couldn't be happier about it.
      Sounds like you are raising a real peach, right in Daddy's image.

Comment

No, just someone who believes in earning the right to get the trophy.

Comment

No, more like a future entitled a-hole who will drive his future employer crazy. If he was so opposed to it, he could have given it to goodwill. Nice values you are teaching there tough guy.

Comment

I realize this will be foreign to you, but how about teaching him to lose like a winner. If that was my son, we'd be driving back to the fields, and I'd make him walk the last 3 miles, dig the shirt out of the trash, and make him wear it without washing it for a week.

Comment

You would think it would go without saying that a T-Shirt is not a trophy but apparently not.

The funny thing about trophy hugger parents like this guy/woman is that they pretty much develop a losing culture in their kids. They teach their kid to focus on negativity, build lack of composure and pretty much ensure that their kid will be filling cans up with participation T-Shirts for years to come.

It is a lot easier to pitch a fit about not winning than to put in the work to win. That is probably why your son didn't.
              Last edited by forcepush71; 08-23-2014, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by forcepush71 View Post
                You would think it would go without saying that a T-Shirt is not a trophy but apparently not.

The funny thing about trophy hugger parents like this guy/woman is that they pretty much develop a losing culture in their kids. They teach their kid to focus on negativity, build lack of composure and pretty much ensure that their kid will be filling cans up with participation T-Shirts for years to come.

It is a lot easier to pitch a fit about not winning than to put in the work to win. That is probably why you son didn't.
                That's BS just trying to sound like somebody who knows how to win. Likely read it in a book somewhere. Act like you've been there before, will ya?

The kid's inclination to stuff that t-shirt in the trash is a good one. Nothing wrong with that. Also nothing wrong with saving for extra inspiration once in a while. Focusing on the win is key but the refusal to lose is another virtue that some people have and some don't. The poster above has no clue.

Comment

That's BS just trying to sound like somebody who knows how to win. Likely read it in a book somewhere. Act like you've been there before, will ya?

The kid's inclination to stuff that t-shirt in the trash is a good one. Nothing wrong with that. Also nothing wrong with saving for extra inspiration once in a while. Focusing on the win is key but the refusal to lose is another virtue that some people have and some don't. The poster above has no clue.
                  I learned it from my dad who was a track athlete who represented the U.S. in multiple international competitions, he was even better at football. Never saw one of his trophies in our home, never. Also from my old football coach who played for Notre Dame and coached my team to back to back championships and on whose team I was a captain. He would say "winning is a matter of pride" and if anyone lost composure he would take you out of the game. When I played for him there was nothing better than watching your opponent melting down after the game. Only ever happened when playing against dirty teams and it was like beating them twice in one game.

You can pretend that throwing a T-Shirt in the trash is refusing to lose but in fact he did lose and then had a meltdown. The meltdown doesn't teach or motivate him to win the next time, it is just a lot easier that practicing or playing harder.

Comment

I realize this will be foreign to you, but how about teaching him to lose like a winner. If that was my son, we'd be driving back to the fields, and I'd make him walk the last 3 miles, dig the shirt out of the trash, and make him wear it without washing it for a week.
                    Lose like a winner? Pretty sure that is still losing and still does not deserve a t-shirt, kind of like a bad reminder. Hey look at my T-shirt for losing isn't that awesome!! Plus if I did drive back for him to get it out of trash He would sprint on his own, not walk. Now that I think about he should go get it and wear it to get fired up for the next tournament. Thx

Love that bumper sticker,

Coming in second is a 1st place loser.

Comment

No, more like a future entitled a-hole who will drive his future employer crazy. If he was so opposed to it, he could have given it to goodwill. Nice values you are teaching there tough guy.
                      BTW own my businesses, and pretty sure you would make it about 2 hours before you got fired.

Comment

not sure I get the whole tshirt thing...giving away some sort of trinket, medal, or tshirt when participating in a tournament or event isn't consider some sort of "reward", especially at the older levels. It is a good way to market your event by having others advertise for you by giving them something. For the younger players not yet competing, I find they are quite happy to get something to take home, and usually don't care what it is. So if you are in a competitive age group and get a "take away" gift and don't want it, then give it to someone else. If you are mad about not winning a trophy and sulk as you walk out and express your feelings by throwing away a tshirt, you are truly a sore loser and need to grow up. If you want to win, work harder and maybe the next time you and your team might.

Comment

Coming in second is a 1st place loser.
                          You just called your kid a 1st place loser.

Comment

BTW own my businesses, and pretty sure you would make it about 2 hours before you got fired.
                            Yep, a world-class a-hole. Nothing is better than when my kid's team beats a team with a parent like you. And parents like you on our own teams would be avoided like the plague. Happiest day ever is when a parent like you takes his kid's talents somewhere else for the next season.

Comment

Yep, a world-class a-hole. Nothing is better than when my kid's team beats a team with a parent like you. And parents like you on our own teams would be avoided like the plague. Happiest day ever is when a parent like you takes his kid's talents somewhere else for the next season.
                              No - happiest day ever is when this parent's kid gets cut, then tries to jump to the top team at another club, doesn't get a spot there, and either quits the sport in a huff or comes crawling back to the B Team. The next season, the poor B team parents get an earful about how the A Team coach is an idiot and how critical little Landon was to the team's success. I've seen it several times and it always ends up exposing the parent as a bigger loser than the poor kid he's pushing around.

Comment

Originally posted by forcepush71 View Post
                                You just called your kid a 1st place loser.
                                That is correct when you lose in the finals you and your whole team are 1st place losers, thought that was apparent.

If you ask any kid in TIP if they would like a tshirt for losing in the finals how many do you think would say yes?

Or maybe they should give a tshirt to the parent that says Father of 1st place loser and wear it proudly. Would you want to wear it and everyone say Good Try, well done, second place, Yeah!!!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X