Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

most over the top, crazy parents?

so I must be lucky in that my U10 son and his teams have not yet encountered any of the "crazy soccer parents" I hear stories of from friends, so I would be interested in hearing from folks providing some of the most interesting, over the top encounters with parents of opposing teams at games, whether they are town or club. and I don't mean the crowd on this discussion board, as they are in a league of their own. And no, I am not affiliated with NEFC, Stars, valeo, or the usual targets on this board.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    so I must be lucky in that my U10 son and his teams have not yet encountered any of the "crazy soccer parents" I hear stories of from friends, so I would be interested in hearing from folks providing some of the most interesting, over the top encounters with parents of opposing teams at games, whether they are town or club. and I don't mean the crowd on this discussion board, as they are in a league of their own. And no, I am not affiliated with NEFC, Stars, valeo, or the usual targets on this board.
    Are you kidding me? Get a life and a job! Loser! You will definitely be the one people are talking about if this is what you are interested in.

Comment

Look in the mirror and you'll find your answer

Comment

Some general comments:
        - Parents of players on top teams at a club are usually the worst, regardless of the club. Those parents are especially annoying when that top team isn't actually any good and loses a lot of games.
        - Generally, if the team is capable of reaching the semi-finals in the top bracket of a tournament, those parents think everything is a push and everybody who gets a shot off was offsides.
        - If a team plays a lot of games each year (think >50), those parents get pretty obsessed with winning and losing.
        - Some parents stick to simply yelling "come on...(somebody else's kid)!" every time they make a bad play.
        - The most irritating are the parents who pick up all of the coach's favorite comments and yell those to their kids.

My advice if you're looking for wacky parents - stand down the sideline from them all at a game your kid isn't playing in, and just watch them go to work.
        Pacing, groaning, throwing their hats, yelling, criticizing... it's not every team, and it's not every parent... but they're definitely out there in impressive numbers.

Comment

WOW! I have a story about a crazy b#### who makes a thread on talking soccer to see if any of her sons U10 team will spill the beans about what a head case she is. She is the talk of the town. Real classy broad who need to take her meds.

Comment

Just go to YouTube and search Valeo Soccer. Browse through the long list of videos. It will answer all of your questions.

Comment

Parents of players on top teams at a club are usually the worst, regardless of the club. Those parents are especially annoying when that top team isn't actually any good and loses a lot of games.
              I'll add to watch out for any parent who claims that top teams aren't any good just because they lose a lot of games. Top teams are top teams for a reason. Whether they lose a lot of games in their top brackets or not, they can still beat 90% of the rest of the area teams. Its all relative people.

-signed a parent of a child not on a top team

Comment

I'll add to watch out for any parent who claims that top teams aren't any good just because they lose a lot of games. Top teams are top teams for a reason. Whether they lose a lot of games in their top brackets or not, they can still beat 90% of the rest of the area teams. Its all relative people.

-signed a parent of a child not on a top team
                I meant that in the context of a club whose top team in a given age group plays in the third or fourth level of tournaments, against younger or other clubs' "not top" teams... and lacks success there.

Comment

I meant that in the context of a club whose top team in a given age group plays in the third or fourth level of tournaments, against younger or other clubs' "not top" teams... and lacks success there.
                  I get ya, but I would also contend that some smaller clubs might have top teams in this situation you pose and are STILL quality teams IMO. My kid played for one last year in fact. She was on top team for a small club and in no way could contend with the top teams of bigger clubs, so we often played their 2nd and 3rd teams in tournaments, and I would still consider them a good team with good talent even though we played in lower brackets at those big tournaments. I just get irritated with the hyperbole of club soccer that basically says that unless you win the National Championship, that you suck. For instance, I see lots of Scorpions/Breakers bashing here as if they are all terrible now and are losing all their talent, but yet their top teams would beat 90% of all other teams in New England. Its just perspective.

But I will say this ... I've watched and been involved in a lot of youth soccer at all levels ... from Rec to travel to premier ... and there are crazy ass parents on the sidelines of all the games.

Comment

Add "top'" team parents on large clubs whose team is not very good. These parents usually don't understand the skill difference and think some frenzied rah rah from sidelines is all that will take to make up the difference.

Comment

Add "top'" team parents on large clubs whose team is not very good. These parents usually don't understand the skill difference and think some frenzied rah rah from sidelines is all that will take to make up the difference.

This isn't from who you were discussing with, just to be clear.

Comment

Worst: Noisemaker after goal--blast horn, no less. I've learned to ignore just about all the other sideline silliness (my club's parents included), but seeing the look on a 10 yo goalie's face after a game-winner goes in, and then the blast horn comes from the sideline, that made me want to throttle someone.

Comment

Worst: Noisemaker after goal--blast horn, no less. I've learned to ignore just about all the other sideline silliness (my club's parents included), but seeing the look on a 10 yo goalie's face after a game-winner goes in, and then the blast horn comes from the sideline, that made me want to throttle someone.
                          That has to be one of the funniest post I have read in my life. I am literally in tears.

-- Pathfinder

Comment

I like to alternate cowbell / air horn. If you can get the keeper in tears early don't let them get their composure back. You can even preempt punts and goal kicks with a little cowbell or a couple short blasts on the horn. Don't be afraid to keep bringing the pain in the parking lot after the game. I'm sure the dad will be able to eventually console her and, ultimately, he would thank you for providing an important life lesson.

Comment

Sorry to say this was at a U8 town travel game, but...a father was yelling non-stop at his daughter through most of a game, telling her what she was doing wrong, what she should be doing, etc. Finally the little girl stopped on the field and turned and screamed back "stop yelling at me!"..without hesitation, the father immediately screamed back "I will when you do what you are supposed to do out there". Poor kid, she was just 7 years old trying to have some fun and had the lunatic parent already. Probably wont be playing soccer for long sadly.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X