Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Five games against St Johns Prep, Xavarian and BC High make up for it.
    Have nothing to do with their less than strenuous conference schedule. And they routinely struggle against those squads: losses every year, including some ugly results. Time for a review of the program.

Comment

As an Alumni of SJ I will not lay the fault on the coach but will say as it was when I was there all glory goes to Football, Basketball and baseball. Hockey was great when I was there but has declined. You get more fans at a public high school soccer game then at an SJ game. They do not support it very much

Many alumni including myself have chosen not to send their kids there not for the sports issues but for other reasons, one found that my town has a great quality education at a lesser price and have chosen to save the funds for college use instead.

Reading the quarterly report that comes out especially after graduation, most SJ grads are going to state colleges and state universities, could have gone there if they went to public HS and saved the money.

Finally, SJ is not what it was to many of the former alumni, things have changed so dramatically in that many us do not give to the alumni fund, go ahead existing parents take a look at the annual contributions by the alumni and you can see what i am talking about our disappointment in the school the way it is today is shown in our lack of giving.

What does it all mean -that many good athlete's in all sports are choosing not to go to SJ but attend other schools instead.

What happened you kid get cut the first day of tryouts or something? You obviously have a kid there – or did.…….I wouldn’t call their 2013 record (8-9-3) a disaster. Six of their nine losses were only one goal. A losing record yes, disaster…far from it. CMASS D1 teams that won 1 or 2 games last year are disasters. They consistently have one of if not the toughest schedule’s in CMASS every year. You are correct on that the athletic administration does not regard the soccer team in high regard. But what does that cost them? They still get the same as every other team in the area. If you have gripes about the coach then say them. Are they losing players because of the coach – name some. As for this year’s team, maybe .500 or slightly better. A couple good juniors and seniors that will have to carry the team. They had a very good group of freshman that came in last year that will move up and start to contribute on the varsity.

Comment

Five games against St Johns Prep, Xavarian and BC High make up for it.
        Xavarian is a middle of the road program, not strong at all. They like Leominster some years good other years poor. So putting them on the list is pointless ! Don't forget they play Burncoat twice, the weakest if all city schools

Comment

Xavarian is a middle of the road program, not strong at all. They like Leominster some years good other years poor. So putting them on the list is pointless ! Don't forget they play Burncoat twice, the weakest if all city schools
          play once.......as for XB they would beat most Midland A and B teams.

Comment

Any word on how teams will be this year ? Heavy graduation loss from last year, returning players/starters, new coach, etc...

How's Mid-Wach A & B and Inter-High looking ? Pretty much all the D1 leagues in Central

Comment

I would agree with my fellow alumni on all points except I would add the coaching issues now and the prior acoach s added factors.

As an Alumni of SJ I will not lay the fault on the coach but will say as it was when I was there all glory goes to Football, Basketball and baseball. Hockey was great when I was there but has declined. You get more fans at a public high school soccer game then at an SJ game. They do not support it very much

Many alumni including myself have chosen not to send their kids there not for the sports issues but for other reasons, one found that my town has a great quality education at a lesser price and have chosen to save the funds for college use instead.

Reading the quarterly report that comes out especially after graduation, most SJ grads are going to state colleges and state universities, could have gone there if they went to public HS and saved the money.

Finally, SJ is not what it was to many of the former alumni, things have changed so dramatically in that many us do not give to the alumni fund, go ahead existing parents take a look at the annual contributions by the alumni and you can see what i am talking about our disappointment in the school the way it is today is shown in our lack of giving.

What does it all mean -that many good athlete's in all sports are choosing not to go to SJ but attend other schools instead.

Comment

If you attended SJ we alumni and readers of TS will listen to your comments but if you are just a parent whose kid goes there you have not earned the right to make SJ comments pro or con. This is just the way it is and how us alumni and think

What happened you kid get cut the first day of tryouts or something? You obviously have a kid there – or did.…….I wouldn’t call their 2013 record (8-9-3) a disaster. Six of their nine losses were only one goal. A losing record yes, disaster…far from it. CMASS D1 teams that won 1 or 2 games last year are disasters. They consistently have one of if not the toughest schedule’s in CMASS every year. You are correct on that the athletic administration does not regard the soccer team in high regard. But what does that cost them? They still get the same as every other team in the area. If you have gripes about the coach then say them. Are they losing players because of the coach – name some. As for this year’s team, maybe .500 or slightly better. A couple good juniors and seniors that will have to carry the team. They had a very good group of freshman that came in last year that will move up and start to contribute on the varsity.

Comment

If you attended SJ we alumni and readers of TS will listen to your comments but if you are just a parent whose kid goes there you have not earned the right to make SJ comments pro or con. This is just the way it is and how us alumni and think
                  If your teachers read this post, they would be horrified. What a waste of money.

Comment

They would be proud as they too would agree that SJ has changed.

If your teachers read this post, they would be horrified. What a waste of money.

Comment

If you are a soccer alumnus, you should be concerned at the direction of the program. Been listening to tales of incoming freshmen for years, but they never seem to progress. RG was the beginning of the end and KS is far from the answer. The AD needs to get a grip. But, just like him, you are not going to listen.

Comment

If you are a soccer alumnus, you should be concerned at the direction of the program. Been listening to tales of incoming freshmen for years, but they never seem to progress. RG was the beginning of the end and KS is far from the answer. The AD needs to get a grip. But, just like him, you are not going to listen.
                        Young men go to St J's to play on the best sports teams in CMass and sometimes the state. A .500 record won't cut it. In the last decade St J's soccer lived at the district finals and then the state chamionships, as with most other sports. So as an earlier poster indicated, maybe times are tough and they are hunkering down. But the school has to know what it's goals are to survive as an expensive, boys only private school. Athletic excellence is atop that list.

Comment

I am an alumnus and as an alumnus like many of us others we are disappointed in the direction of the school and athletic programs. As far as listening, they only want to hear how much I can give as an alumnus to support the school they do not listen to us anymore.

Many will not give as the school does not give back in financial aid to many of the almuni's kids instead they give to many others especially in sport specific like football and basketball.
                          The AD is a football guy and that is all he cares about as well.

Comment

Yet they are no longer the best sports teams in cmass and the issues with that lies in the price as very talented athletes will not attend there because of that and even if some parents can afford some save the money for college and send the kids to public school and that result you can see in the last few years of sports results at SJ -the public schools are winning over SJ.

Young men go to St J's to play on the best sports teams in CMass and sometimes the state. A .500 record won't cut it. In the last decade St J's soccer lived at the district finals and then the state chamionships, as with most other sports. So as an earlier poster indicated, maybe times are tough and they are hunkering down. But the school has to know what it's goals are to survive as an expensive, boys only private school. Athletic excellence is atop that list.

Comment

Yet they are no longer the best sports teams in cmass and the issues with that lies in the price as very talented athletes will not attend there because of that and even if some parents can afford some save the money for college and send the kids to public school and that result you can see in the last few years of sports results at SJ -the public schools are winning over SJ.
                              Mr Foley and his BBall team would beg to differ. And the track team is pretty good I suspect.

Comment

Inner city now attending SJ pretty much free of charge to play sports where everyone else pays, kind of like some club soccer teams.

Mr Foley and his BBall team would beg to differ. And the track team is pretty good I suspect.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X