Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the true path to a college soccer scholarship and how much should it cost?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So how does a student athlete fare when she is in over her head academically?
    Also, How often does D1 coaching staff veto a chosen major that may be deemed too difficult to keep up with?
    Typically what they will do is start by requiring more study hall time and time spent with tutors. The only problem is that it really turns the player's life into a two dimensional rut. All of their time gets used up either playing or studying. You have to have a pretty special kid to be willing to go through all the extra work and potentially just squeak by.

As far as coaches vetoing a major. The coach won't do that but the academic coordinator absolutely will. In my day I was given my major with very little option. In my daughter's case, they did talk her out of what she was thinking of studying. In all fairness she was having second thoughts but they told her that her original major could not even be considered because they couldn't guarantee that it would fit with NCAA guidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by beentheredonethat View Post
      Typically what they will do is start by requiring more study hall time and time spent with tutors. The only problem is that it really turns the player's life into a two dimensional rut. All of their time gets used up either playing or studying. You have to have a pretty special kid to be willing to go through all the extra work and potentially just squeak by.

As far as coaches vetoing a major. The coach won't do that but the academic coordinator absolutely will. In my day I was given my major with very little option. In my daughter's case, they did talk her out of what she was thinking of studying. In all fairness she was having second thoughts but they told her that her original major could not even be considered because they couldn't guarantee that it would fit with NCAA guidelines.
      BTDT, could you elaborate on what it means for a major to not fit with NCAA guidelines? I've heard lots of stories about athletes who couldn't major in certain areas because the areas required field work, labs or other commitments that would conflict with practice, but never one that the NCAA would prohibit.

Comment

Originally posted by dd2 View Post
        BTDT, could you elaborate on what it means for a major to not fit with NCAA guidelines? I've heard lots of stories about athletes who couldn't major in certain areas because the areas required field work, labs or other commitments that would conflict with practice, but never one that the NCAA would prohibit.
        DD2 .. Truthfully I can't really answer your question, I wasn't involved in the discussion. What I was told was that the NCAA has guidelines about classes and graduation paths that must be followed in order for an athlete to remain elidgible. It made sense to me. No basket weaving 101 or 8 year graduation paths. From what I understood the Sports Management major at FDU is relatively new and the department had not done the compliance paperwork so the academic coordinator wasn't letting any athletes into the major.

Comment

Keepers?

Can someone hep me understand the "college path" stuff for GKs?

Comment

Can someone hep me understand the "college path" stuff for GKs?
            ?????

Comment

Thanks for your reply here. Coaches that my daughter is corresponding with don't seem concerned about major. Does this come to light after an offer/commitment time is made?

Comment

If your kid has to change their major you and your kid have already made such a huge mistake that you might as well start all over with the college search. The only exception is if your kid is one of the top 100 college football, baseball and hockey players in the country if they are a male. If they are a female unless they are on the NT it is an even bigger mistake.

Comment

GKs

Sorry -- what I meant was, how does the path to college soccer differ for goalies? Is the recruiting similar? Are there different activities these kids need to pursue?

Comment

Sorry -- what I meant was, how does the path to college soccer differ for goalies? Is the recruiting similar? Are there different activities these kids need to pursue?
                    These threads tend to be very toxic and the message tends to get lost amongst tons of negative posts. If you would send me your email via a private message. I would be more than happy to give you a perspective about gk recruiting.

Comment

Thanks for your reply here. Coaches that my daughter is corresponding with don't seem concerned about major. Does this come to light after an offer/commitment time is made?
                      You absolutely should have this discussion before you commit. My daughter was actually waffeling between two majors. The one she is in now was discussed before she committed. The one that she later decided on and then was told she could not go into was not.

Comment

These threads tend to be very toxic and the message tends to get lost amongst tons of negative posts. If you would send me your email via a private message. I would be more than happy to give you a perspective about gk recruiting.
                        Thank you. But I am afraid I do not know how to post a private message!

Comment

Other than new, unapproved/uncertified majors, what majors are verboten?

Comment

If your kid has to change their major you and your kid have already made such a huge mistake that you might as well start all over with the college search. The only exception is if your kid is one of the top 100 college football, baseball and hockey players in the country if they are a male. If they are a female unless they are on the NT it is an even bigger mistake.
                            Having been a top athlete I will tell you that your thinking is actually pretty myopic. At the end of the day all of this comes down to what an 18 year kid thinks they want. Everyone's kid had their own criteria which they used to make their college decision. In our case, there is are several reasons beyond soccer why my kid chose the school she chose. Even though it might not be everyone's cup of tea after a month in and dealing with everything from an injury to homesickness, it still looks to be a good fit for her because some of those other pieces she weighed appear to be exactly what she was looking for. The message to a college bound kid should be to use a broad set of criteria to evaluate their choices so that if one or two aspects don't work out as originally planned they don't end up at a place they find intolerable.

Comment

Thank you. But I am afraid I do not know how to post a private message!
                              You need to log in with an identity. If you have an identity there is a mechanism to communcate between registered users. It is discreet so not everyone has to know your business.

Comment

Someone who is making sence. How rare on this board.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X