Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCAA Lacrosse Returns Sanity to Early Recruiting. Soccer Next?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NCAA Lacrosse Returns Sanity to Early Recruiting. Soccer Next?

Finally a sport and group of coaches do the right thing. No recruiting until Junior year. And the NCAA supports common sense.

http://www.iwlca.org/news_article/sh...rer_id=2547057

Will soccer follow? I hope so. Committing kids as young as middle school is plain crazy.

It's basically an experiment that others will be watching. The temptation for both sides (coaches and families) to still try and lock things in early will not go away.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Finally a sport and group of coaches do the right thing. No recruiting until Junior year. And the NCAA supports common sense.

http://www.iwlca.org/news_article/sh...rer_id=2547057

Will soccer follow? I hope so. Committing kids as young as middle school is plain crazy.
      LaX is smart. Also go by grade for age groups. Having graduating classes together makes the most sense for college recruiting - the goal of the majority of players. College is the same goal for majority of players in soccer but USSF doesn't care and did birth year to help the .0001% for USWNT. Soccer will likely go the opposite direction & start recruiting 6th & 7th graders. Boys DA goes down to 3rd/4th grade now...

Comment

This sounds great but it's really just a PR stand, that's all. All this does is make the youth Lacrosse clubs more powerful because the reality will not change, early contact will still happen but only through them as a result of this action. The Lacrosse clubs will end up acting as the intermediary and soon Lacrosse will be like the AAU Basketball world where there is a whole underground market that compensates the club for "encouraging" their prospect to commit to specific colleges. This is the type of stunt the NCAA does to "show" that they are doing something about an issue. It's BS. In reality it will make the problem worse, not better by encouraging the selling of influence. Now if they really wanted to solve the problem they would start with Football and Basketball and punish a program by taking away scholarships for every instance where an athlete promoted a "commitment" that occurred before the legal contact date. The NCAA should also attack all of the "recruit" rating services that feed the problem in much the same way as they way they went after sports agents. If kids can't have legal representation for what is essentially a contract negation, why should they have what is essentially a PR firm? They won't do that because everyone's making too much money and they really don't want that to stop.

Comment

This sounds great but it's really just a PR stand, that's all. All this does is make the youth Lacrosse clubs more powerful because the reality will not change, early contact will still happen but only through them as a result of this action. The Lacrosse clubs will end up acting as the intermediary and soon Lacrosse will be like the AAU Basketball world where there is a whole underground market that compensates the club for "encouraging" their prospect to commit to specific colleges. This is the type of stunt the NCAA does to "show" that they are doing something about an issue. It's BS. In reality it will make the problem worse, not better by encouraging the selling of influence. Now if they really wanted to solve the problem they would start with Football and Basketball and punish a program by taking away scholarships for every instance where an athlete promoted a "commitment" that occurred before the legal contact date. The NCAA should also attack all of the "recruit" rating services that feed the problem in much the same way as they way they went after sports agents. If kids can't have legal representation for what is essentially a contract negation, why should they have what is essentially a PR firm? They won't do that because everyone's making too much money and they really don't want that to stop.
          Very true. As long as coaches want to snap up top talent before others do there will be an incentive to work around the system. As long as parents want their kids locked into top programs as early as possible there will be an incentive to work around the system. Even with more substantial punishment like you suggest, it may get better but it won't go away

Comment

Fess up, BTNT. You don't want any real reform. You are a fan of the earlier the better and making scholarships more like professional contracts. Btw, some of the very best 5 star bball recruits are deep into their senior years and have yet to commit.

Comment

Fess up, BTNT. You don't want any real reform. You are a fan of the earlier the better and making scholarships more like professional contracts. Btw, some of the very best 5 star bball recruits are deep into their senior years and have yet to commit.
              Definitely not him - but the true top football and bball athletes can afford to string programs along. That is much less so in soccer (maybe NT level), and definitely doesn't hold for an "average" college recruit.

Anyway, most kids don't go get on a plane and change multiple time zones to go to college. Athletes are a little different but not by much. I know there was talk of making all ECNL events more regional, with maybe just a national championship round, which I think makes tons of sense. ECNL won't draw as many top programs (because they'll shop GDA more heavily once it gains traction) so a more regional focus would work better for players and coaches

Comment

Swing for the trees, maybe someday you'll hit that homerun you clearly want to hit. You have missed today though. I personally think the NCAA is a monopolistic sham based upon some antiquated ideal of chivalry which doesn't even exist in Olympic sports any longer and that college athletes are nothing but unpaid professionals that have the deck stacked against them by universities that are raking in millions and intent on preserving their revenue stream. Take a look at these two documentaries. "The Business of Amateurs" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04GT-PZQJKo&vl=en or "Schooled: The Price of College Sports" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHHFenuapdk. The youth sport industries, of which club soccer is a founding partner, are nothing more than whore's businesses that caters to them. I am definitely not in favor of the child prostitution that is currently being promoted by the club soccer industry but I don't really see that anything is going to put a stop to any of it because there is just too much money being made at too many stops along the way to make that realistic. That doesn't mean that the athletes shouldn't be able to get there's on terms that are at least equitable or that they shouldn't have basic protections like lifetime healthcare for injuries sustained while competing for the college.

Comment

Swing for the trees, maybe someday you'll hit that homerun you clearly want to hit. You have missed today though. I personally think the NCAA is a monopolistic sham based upon some antiquated ideal of chivalry which doesn't even exist in Olympic sports any longer and that college athletes are nothing but unpaid professionals that have the deck stacked against them by universities that are raking in millions and intent on preserving their revenue stream. Take a look at these two documentaries. "The Business of Amateurs" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04GT-PZQJKo&vl=en or "Schooled: The Price of College Sports" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHHFenuapdk. The youth sport industries, of which club soccer is a founding partner, are nothing more than whore's businesses that caters to them. I am definitely not in favor of the child prostitution that is currently being promoted by the club soccer industry but I don't really see that anything is going to put a stop to any of it because there is just too much money being made at too many stops along the way to make that realistic. That doesn't mean that the athletes shouldn't be able to get there's on terms that are at least equitable or that they shouldn't have basic protections like lifetime healthcare for injuries sustained while competing for the college.
                  OK, we'll say this one is a double. Can always count on you to quickly get us back on an accuracy spree.

Comment

OK, we'll say this one is a double. Can always count on you to quickly get us back on an accuracy spree.
                    I hope that you will take the time to go watch the documentary "Schooled: The Price of College Sports". It's available on Netflix. My point of view is basically the same as Sonny Vaccaro's .. "Play the games, make the money, just give the kids their due"

Comment

This isn't him. It lacks the usual "your kid is crap, and all parents are deluded idiots who have no clue about anyrhing" theme.

And I agree with this post. College athletes should unionize and be able to negotiate for health care and compensation.

Comment

This isn't him. It lacks the usual "your kid is crap, and all parents are deluded idiots who have no clue about anyrhing" theme.

And I agree with this post. College athletes should unionize and be able to negotiate for health care and compensation.
                        Problem is that at smaller schools they simply can't afford to let that happen. Not everyone is playing football at Univ of Michigan or basketball at UNC. Many athletic programs run in the red but are used as a draw for students the school wants/general selling point. Only some programs get any kind of TV revenue. I agree the system sucks but I'm not sure what the solution is either

Comment

Problem is that at smaller schools they simply can't afford to let that happen. Not everyone is playing football at Univ of Michigan or basketball at UNC. Many athletic programs run in the red but are used as a draw for students the school wants/general selling point. Only some programs get any kind of TV revenue. I agree the system sucks but I'm not sure what the solution is either
                          This is the rub. # of revenue generating programs is relatively low. Carving out a league for "paid" athletes could negate Title IX

Comment

This rule only makes more work for the club coach. Recruiting won't stop, it will just go through the club coach. If they want to stop early recruiting then then must say there can be zero contact between a college coach and a club lax coach. This will be said for soccer and aau basketball soon.

I will say this, in the near future you better have a really good club coach that knows the process and has strong relationships with college coaches in order to make things happen early.

Comment

This is really a cop out. That is why they have conferences. They equalize things like enrollment differences.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X