Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off-season training (strength and agility work)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am looking to have my child do training in the off-season, but I am looking at nonsoccer training (strength, agility, speed work). How many use this in the off-season and what type of benefits have you seen?
    The age of the players is crucial when you decide what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Not sure of the age of your child. Many colleges have off season programs available for download. Link below is an example:

http://jmusports.com/documents/2015/...ts.pdf?id=1290

My $.02. As a former personal trainer I would look for a program that focuses on injury prevention and stability before strength and agility. If you don't balance the athlete’s strength and weaknesses you are setting them up for failure {serious injury}. As older age groups practice/play 10 months or more per year this becomes evident in the increase of season ending injuries {especially females with ACL injuries}. Most players are doing the same/similar workouts and cool downs for most of the year. My daughter's {U17} off season work consists of body weight exercises, biking and core conditioning. She does not participate in ANY soccer style training. I believe your idea of Non soccer activities is best. Our results have been four years of injury free play. She starts/plays High School and Club. She plays 90% or more of every game on both Teams.
      Good luck to your player and best wishes for an injury free season.
      As a former personal trainer you probably know the answer to these questions:
      1. What is the basic principle of off season training?
      2. What consists of injury prevention training?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      Working...
      X