Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off-season training (strength and agility work)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off-season training (strength and agility work)

I am looking to have my child do training in the off-season, but I am looking at nonsoccer training (strength, agility, speed work). How many use this in the off-season and what type of benefits have you seen?

Sign them up for the local swim team

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Sign them up for the local swim team
      That is an interesting suggestion if you don't mind, but could you maybe explain some of the benefits?

Comment

That is an interesting suggestion if you don't mind, but could you maybe explain some of the benefits?
        http://www.google.com

Comment

http://www.cooperstrength.com/

Comment

Cooper is excellent. Everyone who actually wants to maximize their overall ability should be training in the offseason. Not just sport specific but improving as an athlete. You should be working on things that are inherent to your sport but total strength, speed, agility, and fitness should be the goal. Give your kid a few weeks off then have him/her work with someone competent until the next season begins. You should continue throughout the season working things that aren't being addressed at soccer training.

Comment

Soccer is a pretty grueling sport. Season really never stops so the same muscles are used over and over and over with little rest. Swim team is all about core, stretching and utilizes different muscles.

Whether you are on a competitive swim team or the local YMCA kids will be doing at least 2000 yards a day. They will be a stronger different athlete when soccer season resumes.

Comment

Fitness Ideas

I am looking to have my child do training in the off-season, but I am looking at nonsoccer training (strength, agility, speed work). How many use this in the off-season and what type of benefits have you seen?
                Not sure of the age of your child. Many colleges have off season programs available for download. Link below is an example:

http://jmusports.com/documents/2015/...ts.pdf?id=1290

My $.02. As a former personal trainer I would look for a program that focuses on injury prevention and stability before strength and agility. If you don't balance the athlete’s strength and weaknesses you are setting them up for failure {serious injury}. As older age groups practice/play 10 months or more per year this becomes evident in the increase of season ending injuries {especially females with ACL injuries}. Most players are doing the same/similar workouts and cool downs for most of the year. My daughter's {U17} off season work consists of body weight exercises, biking and core conditioning. She does not participate in ANY soccer style training. I believe your idea of Non soccer activities is best. Our results have been four years of injury free play. She starts/plays High School and Club. She plays 90% or more of every game on both Teams.
                Good luck to your player and best wishes for an injury free season.

Comment

Not sure of the age of your child. Many colleges have off season programs available for download. Link below is an example:

My $.02. As a former personal trainer I would look for a program that focuses on injury prevention and stability before strength and agility. If you don't balance the athlete’s strength and weaknesses you are setting them up for failure {serious injury}. As older age groups practice/play 10 months or more per year this becomes evident in the increase of season ending injuries {especially females with ACL injuries}. Most players are doing the same/similar workouts and cool downs for most of the year. My daughter's {U17} off season work consists of body weight exercises, biking and core conditioning. She does not participate in ANY soccer style training. I believe your idea of Non soccer activities is best. Our results have been four years of injury free play. She starts/plays High School and Club. She plays 90% or more of every game on both Teams.

Thank you for the response.

The overall goal is injury prevention...as well as developing overall athleticism.

Comment

Find a trainer who knows what they're doing and that works with young athletes. It's easy enough to hang a "trainer"shingle in the door. Ask around for recommendations.

Comment

How old is the kid. If he's younger than 12 don't bother.

Comment

Yes if his teens do some kickboxing. It is a great way to strength the muscles and flexibility is improved. along with the right amount of muscle build. You can do a class or do one on one. the one on one lets you work on areas you want.

Comment

Thank you for all of the information...

Up until last year, my daughter played both soccer and lacrosse and has decided to focus on soccer (almost required with how long the season runs) and we were looking for something to do to maintain a high level of conditioning but also allowed for improvement that was not just playing more soccer.

I have found a training center, the guy who runs it has worked as a strength and conditioning coach at a few high-level D1 schools and came highly recommended from not only a few other soccer players but athletes from other sports as well.

Comment

Honestly, teams are NOT doing the proper warm up and cool down needed. Almost never, especially under U16. And where is the DOC that should be evaluating this? Nowhere to be seen.

Comment

Honestly, teams are NOT doing the proper warm up and cool down needed. Almost never, especially under U16. And where is the DOC that should be evaluating this? Nowhere to be seen.
                              There is little time to do that kind of work. Most teams (except DA) practice at most 3 times week for 1 1/2 hours. They are trying to maximize instruction and scrimmage time, not training. Strength and conditioning, stretching etc is mostly on the player's shoulders, not the club. The clubs know it shouldn't be but with such limited time available most chose to focus on the soccer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X