Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Doesn't say how far away she was from the shot, only that she shot from 25 yards out. I got the impression there wasn't much time to move, and the ball more likely played her and she made no clear attempt to stop a goal-scoring opportunity.
    I think it's pretty clear that she was all the way at the right sideline when the shot was taken from the left. In the blink of an eye, she flew 60 yards across the field, intercepted the ball 2 yards off the goal line and blocked the ball with her arm, instead of chesting it up to her head, nodding the ball to her feet, and vollying the ball 118 yards to score, like a true player would have.

That is, we can all speculate. Sounds like handball to me, though.

Comment

'vs one of the girls from the other team'......

Something tells me this was a PK against your daughter's team, not the 'other team'. My guess is, you're upset that your daughter's team was penalized and are also lying by saying it was called against the other team because you want people's opinions here to help you feel better about yourself.
      Gawd forbid someone asks a real question, with no ulterior motive....

Comment

Gawd forbid someone asks a real question, with no ulterior motive....
        IKR? So many aholes on this board. To them every poster has a motive/scheme/lie

Comment

We really need video. Was the player at point-blank range and reflexively moved her arm to protect her body? Or, did the player have time to consider the incoming ball and blocked it with her arm instead of using her chest or moving out of the way? Could the player have ducked instead of choosing to block with an arm? U14s should be able to play the ball off their chests and shouldn't move to block with their arms. We'll never know. Refs suck.

Comment

We really need video. Was the player at point-blank range and reflexively moved her arm to protect her body? Or, did the player have time to consider the incoming ball and blocked it with her arm instead of using her chest or moving out of the way? Could the player have ducked instead of choosing to block with an arm? U14s should be able to play the ball off their chests and shouldn't move to block with their arms. We'll never know. Refs suck.
            Agreed it's tough to call just based on description. So much depends on arm placement. Also if her arms were tucked in tight but she was trying to turn away that could change the ball direction, resulting in the call.

Oh and btw refs are human. Even at the pro level they make mistakes. Try doing it yourself and see how hard it is.

Comment

Agreed it's tough to call just based on description. So much depends on arm placement. Also if her arms were tucked in tight but she was trying to turn away that could change the ball direction, resulting in the call.

Oh and btw refs are human. Even at the pro level they make mistakes. Try doing it yourself and see how hard it is.
              Nope. Refs suck. It doesn't matter what call the ref made, it was the wrong one. Every time. Is the ref even watching the right game?

Comment

Nope. Refs suck. It doesn't matter what call the ref made, it was the wrong one. Every time. Is the ref even watching the right game?
                uh huh. Here goes the thread spiraling into the usual "all refs suck" diatribe. So tired. Get out and ref yourself and try and change things, instead of being an anonymous keyboard warrior.

Comment

The box is 18 yards and since the team was awarded a PK the defender had to be in the box. If the ball was shot from 25 yards then there was at least 7+ yards between the offensive player and the defender in the box. Was this enough time and space to move out of the way, you all can argue that.

Comment

The box is 18 yards and since the team was awarded a PK the defender had to be in the box. If the ball was shot from 25 yards then there was at least 7+ yards between the offensive player and the defender in the box. Was this enough time and space to move out of the way, you all can argue that.
                    Average speed by a youth player is 15 meters per second. Assuming the 25 yards is not a guess, and accurate, and assuming the player was indeed at the top of the box, and not well into it, that would mean about half-a second, +/-. Assuming, also, she wasn't screened and had a clear view of the shot from start to finish.

Half-second for a girl getting to know her body, what hurts, and how to make a decision to take it in the chest or protect herself. OP indicated it was going to hit her either way.

Still wouldn't call it a PK.

Comment

I doubt she was standing on the goal line. Maybes seven yards away? "It is handling if the player plays the ball, but not handling if the ball plays the player".
                      You can usually tell if it was a deliberate attempt to control the balls trajectory, an unavoidable and non deliberate touch or a deliberate attempt to protect ones self.
                      It's up to the ref's interpretation... the rule leaves some leeway.
                      So this is what I am always confused about. I didn't play soccer but have read the rules. It's my understanding that it's not a handball if it's not deliberate. I have seen several games where the ball literally bounces off someone's foot or the ground and hits a player in the hand. Clearly unintentional and no "play" is even going on. So is that bad reffing or do I have it wrong?

Comment

So this is what I am always confused about. I didn't play soccer but have read the rules. It's my understanding that it's not a handball if it's not deliberate. I have seen several games where the ball literally bounces off someone's foot or the ground and hits a player in the hand. Clearly unintentional and no "play" is even going on. So is that bad reffing or do I have it wrong?
                        Hand ball requires hand-to ball, which includes arm in a non-natural position. In this case, the U14 player absolutely did move her arm to block the ball. The argument now is that because this was defensive, it's okay. This was not okay. It's U14. Your chest is a part of the body your regularly use to play the ball. The arm moved to block the ball. Easy call.

Comment

It can be vague...

"Hand to ball" = Yes
                          "Ball to hand" = No
                          "Hand in an unnatural position" = Yes
                          "Daylight between arm/hand and body" = Yes

"Unintentional" is an old, inaccurate misnomer. If you are running around with your hand above your head, and make no clear attempt to handle a ball, and it hits you...it's a handball...intent or not.

Comment

It can be vague...

"Hand to ball" = Yes
                            "Ball to hand" = No
                            "Hand in an unnatural position" = Yes
                            "Daylight between arm/hand and body" = Yes

"Unintentional" is an old, inaccurate misnomer. If you are running around with your hand above your head, and make no clear attempt to handle a ball, and it hits you...it's a handball...intent or not.
                            Still discussing this???

Comment

Still discussing this???
                              As long as someone has a question, why not?

Don't worry, it will turn toward this being GPS' fault soon eventually

Comment

Hand ball requires hand-to ball, which includes arm in a non-natural position. In this case, the U14 player absolutely did move her arm to block the ball. The argument now is that because this was defensive, it's okay. This was not okay. It's U14. Your chest is a part of the body your regularly use to play the ball. The arm moved to block the ball. Easy call.
                                Boys game and the player is part of a wall just inside the 18, to block a free kick. The player places his arms in front of his body to protect his manhood. The ball is drilled right at his nuts and contacts his hand which never moved. PK or not?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X