The Pros and Cons of Parent Coaches

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No problem with it who cares ! A coach is a coach they don't play ! Sound like you have a confidence issue its not a big deal! It's very hard to find a good coach so if you have a parent coach they might be very good leave it !

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      From what I've seen, clubs stink as administrators. So, managers are needed so they can be freed up as coaches.

Not saying it's right, just what I've seen.
      Different poster but our club has an excellent professional one. It's the coaches who are often times the worst administrators. How one of ours even makes it to games on time is beyond me. In such a case I'd prefer an organized parent!

Comment

At the high school varsity level or club level U14 and older it's a bad idea. Favoritism and bias toward the parent-coach's kid is unavoidable and inherent. Too much at stake at this level. Parent-coaches can't seem to help themselves and take advantage of their position. We've all heard about club parent-coaches getting calls from college coaches about a player only to have the parent-coach change the subject to their own kid. Nobody wants a parent-coached team except the parent-coach themselves. I've never seen it work.

Comment

Parent coaches are the absolute worst at the middle and high school levels. At least in club soccer, you can pick up and move.

Doesn't matter how talented your kid is or how hard they work; the coaches kids and friends play the most minutes.

Comment

Any great coaches don't coach their kids.

Comment

Parent coaches are the absolute worst at the middle and high school levels. At least in club soccer, you can pick up and move.

Doesn't matter how talented your kid is or how hard they work; the coaches kids and friends play the most minutes.
              Coach kids and friends definitely play the most minutes. There are no pros to having a daddy coach. I would like someone to name one pro and I can match it with 10 cons. problem solved.

Comment

No problem with it who cares ! A coach is a coach they don't play ! Sound like you have a confidence issue its not a big deal! It's very hard to find a good coach so if you have a parent coach they might be very good leave it !
                We need more exclamation points!! One is not enough!! Two at a minimum going forward please!! Three is best to really get your point across!!!

Who decides if they are very good?? (Same rule applies to question marks) The parent/coach?? The kid?? Do other parents get a say??

Comment

Every parent-coach thinks they're the one and only parent-coach who doesn't favor their own kid.

Comment

Every coach comes with biases. With parent coaches it is just easier to see. In NewSpeak, they might use the word "transparency" and call it a good thing. Find me one coach who arrives in a vacuum, coaches in a vacuum, and lets the chips fall where they may. Doesn't happen! Everyone has friends, bosses, owners, neighbors--who knows who any given coach is beholden to?

Comment

Every coach comes with biases. With parent coaches it is just easier to see. In NewSpeak, they might use the word "transparency" and call it a good thing. Find me one coach who arrives in a vacuum, coaches in a vacuum, and lets the chips fall where they may. Doesn't happen! Everyone has friends, bosses, owners, neighbors--who knows who any given coach is beholden to?
                      I coach in a Dyson

Comment

Why do you feel it was a win/win? Was it because you were able to make sure your kid got preferred treatment and playing time?

We've seen your kind....
                        Here is the biggest con to being a parent coach

Comment

I coach in a Dyson
                          I use a hoover

Comment

Every parent-coach thinks they're the one and only parent-coach who doesn't favor their own kid.
                            That would be me. My kid gets mad because I don't give equal treatment due to my concern of having a bias. But because I coach more than one team and my kid tags along to all the practices, she's one of the best on her team. Not the very best, but one of the best.

I haven't heard one complaint. I do feel like the parents are happy. We win more than we lose and my daughter's team seems to become more skilled relative to our usual competitors over time. Most of the teams we play against are NOT Daddy coaches. Maybe I care more for the team because it's my daughter's team, and it's the place where my daughter is learning her soccer skills so I try harder because I have a vested interest.

Comment

That would be me. My kid gets mad because I don't give equal treatment due to my concern of having a bias. But because I coach more than one team and my kid tags along to all the practices, she's one of the best on her team. Not the very best, but one of the best.

I haven't heard one complaint. I do feel like the parents are happy. We win more than we lose and my daughter's team seems to become more skilled relative to our usual competitors over time. Most of the teams we play against are NOT Daddy coaches. Maybe I care more for the team because it's my daughter's team, and it's the place where my daughter is learning her soccer skills so I try harder because I have a vested interest.
                              They burn your effigy in the parking lot before games. Don't be fooled. Parents will never complain to your face.

Comment

They burn your effigy in the parking lot before games. Don't be fooled. Parents will never complain to your face.
                                I helped coach my daughter's team for a couple of years. I was just the assistant who helped organize practices and didn't have anything to do with substitutions or positions. My kid was the best player at that point, because she has soccer playing siblings and played a lot with them (plus she was an early grower). The interaction with other parents was very dispiriting, but should not have surprised me. I knew that a couple of kids' parents felt that their kids were just about as good as my daughter and they let everyone know that they would soon pass her. They were very nice to my face, but ate me and my daughter alive behind my back.

We moved my daughter up to a club team the next year, and the team she left behind went from winning every game to only winning a couple. My daughter still plays for a top club, and will play in college. The kids of the more nasty parents are either sitting on HS JV or not playing at all.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X