Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I think this is an honest post. Here is one of my problems with Ginormous Priced Soccer: When corporations control the market their sworn duty is NOT necessarily to do the good things you've experienced with kid #4, but rather to MAXIMIZE profits. This involves eliminating competition, and eventually allows the corporation to treat the consumer like **** because they are the only game in town. I am not Bernie Sanders but I have lived long enough to see that having fewer choices never helps the consumer in the long run.
    So, why only GPS gets the ire? Or, is medium-sized business OK? Where do you draw the line? Who puts you in charge of drawing that line?

Should we go back to rec leagues, one per town?

You sure as hell sound like Bernie.

Comment

So, why only GPS gets the ire? Or, is medium-sized business OK? Where do you draw the line? Who puts you in charge of drawing that line?

Should we go back to rec leagues, one per town?

You sure as hell sound like Bernie.
      Gotta Pay Somebody gets the ire on this thread, NEFC, PTFCUSA and any other rapacious poaching predators get it when I can give it any where else. I'm not in charge of a broom, but if I was I'd keep soccer as local as I could, promote as much grass roots involvement as possible, let kids play without a $200 Bayern kit, make the u8s show up and watch the u15s, encourage (and pay) the u18s to help train the u10s, and develop real clubs, not "for profit soccer services". But that's just me. You can keep on writing the cheques.

Comment

Grassroots. Fantastic. How well do they know the game? Do you expect professional people to work for free?

Is this model any different from any other sport? No, it's not.

Sounds like you should be advocating for more bake sales to help grow the game.

Good luck, bwahahahaha

Comment

Would love to see JB and PB's faces reading this. Bald Morons

Comment

I think this is an honest post. Here is one of my problems with Ginormous Priced Soccer: When corporations control the market their sworn duty is NOT necessarily to do the good things you've experienced with kid #4, but rather to MAXIMIZE profits. This involves eliminating competition, and eventually allows the corporation to treat the consumer like **** because they are the only game in town. I am not Bernie Sanders but I have lived long enough to see that having fewer choices never helps the consumer in the long run.
            I'm the poster that you are responding to. You raise a very valid concern and one that I've also been concerned with. They have certainly grown and I think that they jus bought out another small club. Truth is, that some of this is a bit selfish on my part. We did one of the smaller niche clubs (one of the clubs that got a lot of negativity on this site due to the owner) and we had a great experience for a number of years. Good coaching, great training and a lot of really great tournaments. BUT... and here's the selfish part... the club wasn't able to attract good talent and we slowly started losing good players, which means you start losing games and GS Points. Say what you want about GS points (and I think the whole thing is a bit of a scam), but it does help you get into the better tournaments. So with all of that, we had to explore and we found that the best option was GPS. It might be short sited, but it's a "short" time before my kid goes to college and we are already in the scouting and recruiting phase and he needs to be at the better tournaments to be seen.

Comment

I'm the poster that you are responding to. You raise a very valid concern and one that I've also been concerned with. They have certainly grown and I think that they jus bought out another small club. Truth is, that some of this is a bit selfish on my part. We did one of the smaller niche clubs (one of the clubs that got a lot of negativity on this site due to the owner) and we had a great experience for a number of years. Good coaching, great training and a lot of really great tournaments. BUT... and here's the selfish part... the club wasn't able to attract good talent and we slowly started losing good players, which means you start losing games and GS Points. Say what you want about GS points (and I think the whole thing is a bit of a scam), but it does help you get into the better tournaments. So with all of that, we had to explore and we found that the best option was GPS. It might be short sited, but it's a "short" time before my kid goes to college and we are already in the scouting and recruiting phase and he needs to be at the better tournaments to be seen.
              Insightful. So, my question to the masses: is this GPS' fault?

Comment

Ah, the holy grail of college soccer causes another family to abandon their principles. Your "concern" shows that you are troubled by the choice you feel you've been forced to make, and that should tell you all you need to know. Of course you should do what you think is the right thing for your kid, but don't for a minute forget that the scenario you describe was created by Greed Powered Soccer, for the benefit of, yep, Greed Powered Soccer. When you feed the beast, the beast eats you next.

Comment

Ah, the holy grail of college soccer causes another family to abandon their principles. Your "concern" shows that you are troubled by the choice you feel you've been forced to make, and that should tell you all you need to know. Of course you should do what you think is the right thing for your kid, but don't for a minute forget that the scenario you describe was created by Greed Powered Soccer, for the benefit of, yep, Greed Powered Soccer. When you feed the beast, the beast eats you next.
                  I find it deplorable that these big bad bald people at GPS walked door to door, held each parent down and forced them to sign a contract that demanded they pay thousands of dollars each your for your kid to play a silly little game.

I mean, where are the police in all this? Soccer Lives Matter. We should put a stop to the gestapo tactics that force parents into this activity.

Comment

Gaping Profit Sph!ncter

Comment

GPeniSnvy

Comment

Wow, you're a pompous ass. Not troubled at. Do you really think there isn't some level of greed with the other clubs? The small ones will pick up kids that don't belong on the team so they can afford to continue to exist. Each has there own motives and so what if they make a profit. As long as people are getting value for their money, who cares? Or is it a bad thing to make money? Define Greed for me? So many of the clubs that GPS has acquired would have failed anyway. Most of these small club owner don't have a clue how to run a business. God forbid that GPS has some intelligent people running it. And again, this is our first year with GPS, so we have zero allegiance to this club.

Comment

I find it deplorable that these big bad bald people at GPS walked door to door, held each parent down and forced them to sign a contract that demanded they pay thousands of dollars each your for your kid to play a silly little game.

I mean, where are the police in all this? Soccer Lives Matter. We should put a stop to the gestapo tactics that force parents into this activity.
                          Do you find it entertaining to marginalize Black Lives Matter?

Comment

kevin the goat c.u.n.t wouldn't let that happen

Comment

Marginalize? I'm all for it! I think everyone should have their own category that matters.

Soccer moms.

Rec Soccer players.

Black lives.

Lumberjacks.

Wal-Mart Greeters.

Blue Lives.

Brown lives.

Yellow lives.

Inuit lives.

Rich lives.

Poor lives.

Except Diego Costa. I hate him. He doesn't get to matter.

Comment

Global Propaganda System

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X