Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which ISL school would be best for soccer?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Go ISL if you want an fantastic experience, elite peer group (socially, athletically, academically), and better college preparedness. If you can afford it or are given the option to afford it, hard to turn it down.

But, if all you want is college admission advantage, then stay Public. Class rank matters. Given same test scores and other qualifications (soccer) the one in 2nd percentile of Public HS has distinct advantage over the one in 2nd decile/quartile of ISL school.
    As someone who attended public high school and then an elite college and whose kids did public and elite colleges, I'd add that the argument for public is more than "if all you want is college admissions..."

Especially if you're going to an elite college there is something to be said for exposure to something broader than an EXCLUSIVELY elite peer group. Also question the extent of the gap between a full slate of AP classes in a public and the private curriculum. At any rate, an elite private college, especially of the LAC variety, for some might seem a little redundant after the elite prep atmosphere.

Comment

The public school kid has an advantage with college admissions.
      That statement plays differently depending. Mine transfered to ISL from public for last 3 yrs and wound up at a better college than would have from public even with lower class rank. As mentioned elsewhere academics there prepare well for college so there was no question about academic fitness

Comment

Wow, you have your priorities straight.
        Guess what? Many parents think sports is a priority when it comes to choosing schools. If you played high school sports you know how much you identify with your sport all throughout your life. You hear it all the time " I played football at Xaverian. We won states my senior year." or "I played hockey at CM. We made it to the Super 8" etc. and if high school sports are important to a parent and their kids what's wrong with trying to find the best place to play those sports. Academics are important, yes. But one's entire life experience is based on so many other things.

Comment

That statement plays differently depending. Mine transfered to ISL from public for last 3 yrs and wound up at a better college than would have from public even with lower class rank. As mentioned elsewhere academics there prepare well for college so there was no question about academic fitness
          Transferring to a prep school and repeating a year, I've never heard anyone ever say that they regretted doing. Ask a kid or their parent who has done it. They will usually say it was the best decision they ever made in their life.

Comment

Guess what? Many parents think sports is a priority when it comes to choosing schools. If you played high school sports you know how much you identify with your sport all throughout your life. You hear it all the time " I played football at Xaverian. We won states my senior year." or "I played hockey at CM. We made it to the Super 8" etc. and if high school sports are important to a parent and their kids what's wrong with trying to find the best place to play those sports. Academics are important, yes. But one's entire life experience is based on so many other things.
            Really? I always thought that was a cliche. Like, the guy pouring you a smoothie still talks about the time he had the winnah against BC High in double OhTee.

People really still brag about crap from HS? Shoot, I need to get my talking points together then. I buried at stuff since it didn't matter, but heck, maybe it's time to dig out the All-State collateral and get it up on the wall.

Comment

Really? I always thought that was a cliche. Like, the guy pouring you a smoothie still talks about the time he had the winnah against BC High in double OhTee.

People really still brag about crap from HS? Shoot, I need to get my talking points together then. I buried at stuff since it didn't matter, but heck, maybe it's time to dig out the All-State collateral and get it up on the wall.
              Debate team or chess team?

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2013450]Go ISL if you want an fantastic experience, elite peer group (socially, athletically, academically),...

QUOTE]

Would you really want your kid hanging around with this guy's 'elite' son?

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2014017]
                  Go ISL if you want an fantastic experience, elite peer group (socially, athletically, academically),...

QUOTE]

Would you really want your kid hanging around with this guy's 'elite' son?
                  Um, "This Guy" sent his 3 kids to local HS.
                  Many in our town send their kids to ISL and its undeniably a great experience, and undeniably a filtered gene pool. Used the word elite on purpose. To some connotations are positive, and to others negative. Each reader will take from it what they will.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2014049]

Many in our town send their kids to ISL and its undeniably a great experience, and undeniably a filtered gene pool. Used the word elite on purpose. To some connotations are positive, and to others negative. Each reader will take from it what they will.
                    Filtered gene pool? Good luck to them in the real world. Lol. Everyone's situation is different, my neighbors kid went to an ISL and came home depressed and with a serious eating disorder. Truth be told though, the kid was a wreck before heading off to school. A lot of your situation in life comes from personality and ability to work hard, own inate personality, etc. can find stars and duds everywhere.

Comment

Lol. The only All-state you ever made was all-state pillow biting.

Comment

Is there a wall around your town?

Comment

Kids from most Massachusetts suburbs that go to private school do so for status, and parental ego reasons, rather than educational ones. Every time an ISL parent tells me their son/daughter is heading off to some middling college that's equally atended by public school students I have to scratch my head. More often than not they pay less for college than they do high school. It's always baffled me. Hey, but what do I know?

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2014096]

Kids from most Massachusetts suburbs that go to private school do so for status, and parental ego reasons, rather than educational ones. Every time an ISL parent tells me their son/daughter is heading off to some middling college that's equally atended by public school students I have to scratch my head. More often than not they pay less for college than they do high school. It's always baffled me. Hey, but what do I know?
                            Typical public school parent justifying their choice to send their kids to public school. You don't understand the benefits of private schools because you haven't experienced the benefits of private schools. Keep short changing your kids. Less competition for my kids.

Comment

Go ISL if you want an fantastic experience, elite peer group (socially, athletically, academically), and better college preparedness. If you can afford it or are given the option to afford it, hard to turn it down.

But, if all you want is college admission advantage, then stay Public. Class rank matters. Given same test scores and other qualifications (soccer) the one in 2nd percentile of Public HS has distinct advantage over the one in 2nd decile/quartile of ISL school.
                              Andover 2015 college matriculation:
                              Harvard (13)
                              Yale (11)
                              Princeton (10)
                              Stanford (13)
                              MIT (8)

Which public school is better?

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2014114]

Typical public school parent justifying their choice to send their kids to public school. You don't understand the benefits of private schools because you haven't experienced the benefits of private schools. Keep short changing your kids. Less competition for my kids.
                                Not the op - private/prep isn't for everybody, nor are all private/prep schools great or a good fit for any particular person. Both private and public have benefits and drawbacks. Many local HS are excellent - as a state we're way above national norms for educational performance so we're luckier than many other states where you almost have to go private if you care about your kids' education; that or live in the few districts that do well. We also have a plethora of excellent private and prep schools in the area and affluent parents who can afford them (and often live in the affluent districts that have the best public schools).

- parent of one "elite" private school student and one public. Both are doing fantastic but they're very different people.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X