Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    How do you deal with a youth soccer coach that enjoys a couple of cocktails before coaching your kids?
    This question really wasn't asked to draw out the humor from the TS crowd. Although I definitely enjoy some of the humorous posts that I read on her daily. I am looking for some guidance or suggestions from anyone that may have gotten stuck dealing with this issue in the past.
    post #11 probably your best bet. If a club doesn't handle the problem fast they're idiots. Chances are they know about it and are just keeping fingers crossed parents don't notice and nothing happens.

Comment

How do you deal with a youth soccer coach that enjoys a couple of cocktails before coaching your kids?
      If it is town soccer go to the board. If they don't react pull your kid off the team and be honest with the coach/other parents why you are leaving. Go to a neighboring town explain the situation, I bet they let you play for them.

If it is club go to head of the club, if they don't respond by addressing your concerns let your wallet do the talking, find a new club. Stop paying or dispute the charges you already paid on your cc.

Comment

If it is town soccer go to the board. If they don't react pull your kid off the team and be honest with the coach/other parents why you are leaving. Go to a neighboring town explain the situation, I bet they let you play for them.

If it is club go to head of the club, if they don't respond by addressing your concerns let your wallet do the talking, find a new club. Stop paying or dispute the charges you already paid on your cc.
        It's funny that adults think you can't smell alcohol or hangover breath. Some of the young people I work with ooze ketones from their pores after a night of drinking.

Comment

I agree and would take it a step further assuming this isn't a one time event. I would think that you are morally, maybe even legally, obligated to let not only the board or club owner know what is happening but the parents should definitely be informed too. I would maybe even take it a step further, if nothing is done, and inform the local police department to let them know that they have a coach driving around town under the influence.
          Tough spot to be in!

Comment

Tempted to say run. I've never seen it, even been with them while we were having a few between games and they always said "nope, not till after". After, on Tourneys and such, I've had more than few with many coaches.

But, curious, what's the take on parents popping 3-4 between games, maybe a little brandy in the coffee on those cold winter mornings?

It's a bit hypocritical to not consider that. And, I'm no angel here....

Comment

So I'm hungover and exhausted after servicing the team moms all night and now I have to deal with this b.s. before I go out and scream at your kids. Someone get me a Bloody Mary and make it quick.
              A good team manager would have already had this ready for you right when you woke up.
              She was in the shower.

Comment

I would say after is acceptable but unprofessional. As long as no laws are being broken..I guess it's ok. Before/during organized activities NO ONE should be drinking alcohol. If you can't wait a couple of hours then maybe it's time to hit one of those special meetings held in the church basement every week.

Comment

She was in the shower.

Bloody Mary hit the spot!!! Now hydrating and fueling up for tonight with a few Gatorades.

Comment

Club coaching isn't for those with a weak stomach or low testosterone. It's a physically demanding, thirsty job. Someone's got to do it. Glad it's me. ;)

Comment

So I'm hungover and exhausted after servicing the team moms all night and now I have to deal with this b.s. before I go out and scream at your kids. Someone get me a Bloody Mary and make it quick.
                      The team manager must make a great bloody mary. I see you finally let her little one start today.

Comment

I would say after is acceptable but unprofessional. As long as no laws are being broken..I guess it's ok. Before/during organized activities NO ONE should be drinking alcohol. If you can't wait a couple of hours then maybe it's time to hit one of those special meetings held in the church basement every week.
                        The meetings are held at the same time as my teams games.

Comment

Been there don that

Had an actual situation happen to my ten year old daughter. Guy didnt just have a couple of drinks but was belligerent (wasn't the first or second time). Stood up to board and told my story. I was told that my daughter and my husband were liars by the coach. My daughter did the right thing. We teach them that when things like this happen to come to us. My husband after hearing her suspicions went over and shook the coaches hand the day of the game and confirmed his daughters suspicion. The board at the time told the coach to use listerine. He showed up the following next week completely housed to coach another team. Long story short board got a letter from another concerned parent and the board did not let him get a a travel team and was supposedly not supposed to coach for a year . But new board came in and doesn't want to deal with issues of the past and the guy is back coaching U6. Moral is its just wrong. I could care less if you do a keg stand after you leave game but you are role model for children and smelling or drinking alcohol is not okay. I hope the board is prepared to accept liability for his actions especially his buddies that protected him instead of the children.

Comment

Had an actual situation happen to my ten year old daughter. Guy didnt just have a couple of drinks but was belligerent (wasn't the first or second time). Stood up to board and told my story. I was told that my daughter and my husband were liars by the coach. My daughter did the right thing. We teach them that when things like this happen to come to us. My husband after hearing her suspicions went over and shook the coaches hand the day of the game and confirmed his daughters suspicion. The board at the time told the coach to use listerine. He showed up the following next week completely housed to coach another team. Long story short board got a letter from another concerned parent and the board did not let him get a a travel team and was supposedly not supposed to coach for a year . But new board came in and doesn't want to deal with issues of the past and the guy is back coaching U6. Moral is its just wrong. I could care less if you do a keg stand after you leave game but you are role model for children and smelling or drinking alcohol is not okay. I hope the board is prepared to accept liability for his actions especially his buddies that protected him instead of the children.
                            A well managed club takes accusations seriously. Like someone said, if they don't then leave. If you can smell it then they do too. Stuff like that eventually catches up with them - and hopefully no one gets hurt in the process. But you don't have to stay around

Comment

True leadership at it's finest. Run!!!

Comment

Club coaching isn't for those with a weak stomach or low testosterone. It's a physically demanding, thirsty job. Someone's got to do it. Glad it's me. ;)
                                What if the coach runs a meth lab out of his garage?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X