Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Sports isn't always a priority at many schools. And at a small school like that without a big revenue sport (big football or basketball program) to offset $ losing sports (like soccer) then it's tougher to justify running programs at a loss year in and year out. Finally, small things like players' renting buses may hint at bigger financial issues that should be explored - Franklin Pierce almost folded not that long ago as have others.
    Not sure if this is true...but I heard from a few people who played there that once St. A's put in a Football program several years back, it's been draining money from other sports ever since.

Comment

I believe St A's announced that they were moving to D3- so by definition, no scholarships at that point. There's been statements on here somewhere saying they were having problems finding a suitable conference to join though (and might have been a good idea to line that up before filing the change paperwork, but since there's a transition period before you can switch I imagine the plan was to find a conference during the transition period).

A school having less scholarships than their competitors is not unique though, and seems some of those competitors have fared marginally better. A coach in this situation has to be really active and aggressive in recruiting, but of course has to work with what he/she's got (academics, location, facilities, etc.).

Comment

I believe St A's announced that they were moving to D3- so by definition, no scholarships at that point. There's been statements on here somewhere saying they were having problems finding a suitable conference to join though (and might have been a good idea to line that up before filing the change paperwork, but since there's a transition period before you can switch I imagine the plan was to find a conference during the transition period).

A school having less scholarships than their competitors is not unique though, and seems some of those competitors have fared marginally better. A coach in this situation has to be really active and aggressive in recruiting, but of course has to work with what he/she's got (academics, location, facilities, etc.).
        I don't think the move to D3 has even been decided upon. Lots of alumni resistance to the move to D3.

Comment

I don't think the move to D3 has even been decided upon. Lots of alumni resistance to the move to D3.
          That uncertainty can be a detraction for prospect players. People like certainty especially when it comes to picking a school. Even top programs with coaching transitions can fall into a recruiting void if the replacement isn't announced quickly and he/she ramps up their recruiting efforts immediately

Comment

Not sure if this is true...but I heard from a few people who played there that once St. A's put in a Football program several years back, it's been draining money from other sports ever since.
            All college sports "lose" money at the D2 and D3 level with very rare exceptions. But that's not the way colleges look at their athletic programs. Athletic programs are not profit centers. They are more of a marketing or advertising vehicle to promote the school and encourage applications. Do you think more or less high school seniors would want to attend a college that had zero college sports teams? Schools dropping athletics would see a marked drop in their applicants and enrollment.

Comment

All college sports "lose" money at the D2 and D3 level with very rare exceptions. But that's not the way colleges look at their athletic programs. Athletic programs are not profit centers. They are more of a marketing or advertising vehicle to promote the school and encourage applications. Do you think more or less high school seniors would want to attend a college that had zero college sports teams? Schools dropping athletics would see a marked drop in their applicants and enrollment.
              Bingo. It's all about marketing and signing up prospective students. And if you can't make the team more impressive and marketable, i.e. bench player, they will find someone else that will. And presume you'll stay at the school to graduate.
              Even though college sports lose money, they do have budgets and do want to minimize the losses. The more paying students they bring in, the better it is for the budget.

Comment

Not a surprise to have alumni resistance with any change, but fact is that most of the teams are not competitive where they are. Would seem to make sense to play somewhere on an equal footing, where they'd have a chance to be competitive year-in and year-out in most sports- this has a better chance to draw more students. You can say that a decision hasn't been made to leave, but that's just because they can't find a conference. They got rejected by NEWMAC.

Comment

That uncertainty can be a detraction for prospect players. People like certainty especially when it comes to picking a school. Even top programs with coaching transitions can fall into a recruiting void if the replacement isn't announced quickly and he/she ramps up their recruiting efforts immediately
                  It was a distraction for my daughter without question.

Comment

It was a distraction for my daughter without question.
                    Imagine the recruiting nightmare UConn will have with that player lawsuit hanging over them. Coach could be gone and at a minimum it showed that he's total jerk. If that doesn't get cleared up quickly players are going to be very leary

Comment

smart players already were leary. i know a couple top recruits that visited uconn and couldn't get away fast enough. the last couple years uconn won in spite of the coaching and poor recruiting. they won because the aac is extremely weak and they had a couple scorers capable of exploiting weak defenses. these 2 graduated, so even without the legal problems it was gonna be difficult. now, might be impossible. and i say "might" only because the aac is just so awful.

Comment

you might say those two capitalized on the strength of the conference

Comment

you might say those two capitalized on the strength of the conference
                          i would say they capitalized on the lack of strength of the aac conference. a better measurement of team and individual ability is success against top competition, and typically uconn as a team and players individually haven't

Comment

i would say they capitalized on the lack of strength of the aac conference. a better measurement of team and individual ability is success against top competition, and typically uconn as a team and players individually haven't
                            either way, they capitalized ;-)

Comment

either way, they capitalized ;-)
                              Either way they have consistently made it into the tourney

Comment

other teams from weak conferences consistently make the ncaa tournament and get bounced after a game or two. recent bu teams for example. but these teams aren't ranked top 20, and their players aren't viewed as first or second team all americans. uconn is more similar to these teams from lesser conferences than they are to an ncaa contender.

i appreciate the run they have made, and have attended a few of their games over the last few years. i only point this out to emphasize the huge divide in individual and team talent between ncaa pretenders and contenders. uconn and bc have been the closest to making the transition to the next level, yet they are miles away, both moving in the wrong direction

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X