Costs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets keep the numbers coming folks. I am interested especially for future decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Lets keep the numbers coming folks. I am interested especially for future decisions.
      You're looking to play club...if you gotta ask, you can't afford it

Comment

Forget the numbers: Here are the costs of club soccer:
        Time away from friends and family (me and kid); Lost productivity at work (me); Loss of perspective on the role of sport in kid's life (me and kid); Lack of development of interest in other sports that at age 12 he might have had greater love for/ability in; Over involvement in kid's life resulting in lack of independence; burnout and eventual resentment of game (kid); mistaken belief that club soccer was a means to an end, and self-doubt and humiliation when that end goal wasn't reached (both); strain on marriage when one spouse gets it, and the other doesn't.

Cool GPS Bayern Shirt? Priceless.

Comment

You're looking to play club...if you gotta ask, you can't afford it
          You might have to make sacrifices and possibly eliminate other kid activities, but its affordable to middle class if you find the right club.

Comment

Time away from friends and family (me and kid); Lost productivity at work (me); Loss of perspective on the role of sport in kid's life (me and kid); Lack of development of interest in other sports that at age 12 he might have had greater love for/ability in; Over involvement in kid's life resulting in lack of independence; burnout and eventual resentment of game (kid); mistaken belief that club soccer was a means to an end, and self-doubt and humiliation when that end goal wasn't reached (both); strain on marriage when one spouse gets it, and the other doesn't.

All of this is true, but not all for all families, it's most for most families.
            With that said, I believe many of the above cons have off-setting pros such as making new friends, and enjoying time with children travelling to tourneys, panera, ice cream, car rides, etc.

Comment

Time away from friends and family (me and kid); Lost productivity at work (me); Loss of perspective on the role of sport in kid's life (me and kid); Lack of development of interest in other sports that at age 12 he might have had greater love for/ability in; Over involvement in kid's life resulting in lack of independence; burnout and eventual resentment of game (kid); mistaken belief that club soccer was a means to an end, and self-doubt and humiliation when that end goal wasn't reached (both); strain on marriage when one spouse gets it, and the other doesn't. Cool GPS Bayern Shirt? Priceless.
              Its not for everybody. Too bad it didn't work out for you, and I'm sure there are others. Its a balancing act and I can see where you might get sucked in too far. Its only a sport and except for the very few, its a sport with no real post HS or post college financial benefit. I think of it as physical fitness/activity for my kid and entertainment for me. One day at a time.

Comment

All of this is true, but not all for all families, it's most for most families.
                With that said, I believe many of the above cons have off-setting pros such as making new friends, and enjoying time with children travelling to tourneys, panera, ice cream, car rides, etc.
                Well said. People love to paint with very broad strokes.

Comment

You might have to make sacrifices and possibly eliminate other kid activities, but its affordable to middle class if you find the right club.
                  To what ends?
                  All positives attributed to soccer are available everywhere at much cheaper cost.

Comment

To what ends?
                    All positives attributed to soccer are available everywhere at much cheaper cost.
                    imagine your kids could not make the soccer team and you were forced to play lacrosse - then you would have problems - what a made up stupid game

Comment

To what ends?
                      Club Hockey, lax, basketball, baseball, gymnastics are all pretty expensive too.

Comment

This certainly can happen if you let things get out of hand. We view club soccer like any other extra; dance, karate, music, etc. You have a choice whether it takes over your life.

We've encouraged our son to continue to be a multi sport athlete and he has. (He's 11.)

We've both made new friends outside of our small school/town.

So many great conversations are had during car rides. This is 1 on 1 time we might not have had.

Both parents go to all games when posdible, so little family divide.

We have no false expectations. He's playing bc it's fun and he wants to improve.

Club Soccer is what you choose to make of it.

Comment

To what ends?
                          Wrong. My kid played town and local club before moving to a big club's top team. There is no comparison in terms of what she gets out of the experience: the challenge, competition, camaraderie, exposure, development, etc

Comment

I people were concerned about how much I pay in taxes vs. how much I pay my kid's club team....

Comment

I people were concerned about how much I pay in taxes vs. how much I pay my kid's club team....
                              Go to the talking-taxes discussion board, and I'm sure everyone will be interested in how much you pay in taxes ...

Comment

If you don't like what you get for your tax bill you can relocate. Same with soccer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X