Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which ISL school would be best for soccer?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This country's youth could use a dose of religion to get their moral compasses back on track.
    Thanks - This is exactly the information I was seeking in the thread entitled "Which ISL school would be best for soccer?"

Comment

Thanks - This is exactly the information I was seeking in the thread entitled "Which ISL school would be best for soccer?"
      You shouldn't be seeking any useful information on this anonymous cesspool. 98% entertainment here.

Comment

It's part of the broader debate/issue of growing income disparity in this country. Public education budgets in many areas keep getting sliced and in any given state certain districts consistently get a raw deal (because of our heavy dependence on property taxes to fund education budgets). Now we have a Secretary of Education who wants to blow the entire system up and send our kids to religious schools. Parents who may not have a choice but to rely on public schools see it as only getting worse, not better.
        The politics of education and budgets. Most towns in this state spend between 10-15k (?) per student. The average prep school parent is paying around 40-45k. Even the parochial schools are now hovering around 20K. So who is actually creating the divide, our politicians who are under funding education or the wealthy parents who have the means to fund what a real education costs?

Comment

The politics of education and budgets. Most towns in this state spend between 10-15k (?) per student. The average prep school parent is paying around 40-45k. Even the parochial schools are now hovering around 20K. So who is actually creating the divide, our politicians who are under funding education or the wealthy parents who have the means to fund what a real education costs?
          My niece went to a very expensive private school, and played three sports. School has a huge endowment and gives a lot of money toward students' tuition.

Yes, there are some snobs there and there is a divide. But, many kids cannot afford to go there any more than any other kid can. They spread the money around pretty liberally.

Comment

My niece went to a very expensive private school, and played three sports. School has a huge endowment and gives a lot of money toward students' tuition.

Yes, there are some snobs there and there is a divide. But, many kids cannot afford to go there any more than any other kid can. They spread the money around pretty liberally.
            You miss the point. It's not that the preps aren't accessible but rather that what our politicians are actually putting into fund a public education is substantially less than what it really takes to fund a true top flight education. When you strip away the fancy buildings and adjusting class sizes my bet is the true cost of providing a truly high quality education is probably about $20-25K, or what the average parochial school costs when you don't have generous pension benefits or mandated special need spending. In 2014 Mass spent $15,087 per student on and when you look at the actual spending budget you'll see that 26% of that number is tied to pensions and payments to out of district schools (ie special needs) so the actual money available to educate the average student is substantially below what it takes to provide a high quality education. The bottom line is pensions and no child left behind are killing public education not wealthy parents.

Comment

You miss the point. It's not that the preps aren't accessible but rather that what our politicians are actually putting into fund a public education is substantially less than what it really takes to fund a true top flight education. When you strip away the fancy buildings and adjusting class sizes my bet is the true cost of providing a truly high quality education is probably about $20-25K, or what the average parochial school costs when you don't have generous pension benefits or mandated special need spending. In 2014 Mass spent $15,087 per student on and when you look at the actual spending budget you'll see that 26% of that number is tied to pensions and payments to out of district schools (ie special needs) so the actual money available to educate the average student is substantially below what it takes to provide a high quality education. The bottom line is pensions and no child left behind are killing public education not wealthy parents.
              Another issue is the formula they use for level funding as well as the towns and cities that have passed overrides for their schools and the ones that have not.

That is the true divide as of right now, if you live in a community that values the schools you will find they pass overrides and have kept up with the increases, the ones that have not are the lower of the property tax rate cities and towns and in all fairness if you are not willing to increase your property tax rate you will have subpar services and school systems.

I live in one such town and worked night and day trying to pass an override for a new school (middle/HS combined) and it failed by 2:1 and still the same parents that voted against it and told me that I do not want the value of my house to increase since that only means I pay more taxes, still complain day and night that the schools suck.

I on the other hand realized that I really like living where I am, so I sent all three of my children to private schools.

Remember you do have the right to choice into a school and there are many great schools that are in the school choice system.

Get together with a few neighbors and choice in and car pool.

Here is a list of schools:

http://www.doe.mass.edu/finance/schoolchoice/

If you get one child in the other siblilings will automatically get in.

Until the state and federal government start funding the schools or your city or town passes enough of an override to properly fund the schools nothing will change.

Even the privilege special needs students get to go to better schools because their parents can afford to hire an atty to get them placed in a private school.

The special need kids that are in substantially separate classrooms are not being properly serviced or educated by most (and I say most not all) public schools because they do not have the resources.

Even our new supreme court justice thought babysitting an autistic kid was sufficient enough of an education, he felt there does not have to be any measure of actually learning or educating a child.

Thank god he got overturned by the court he now sits on, which now will set a new line in the sand in regards to no child left behind because it was the very first case the supreme court has ruled on in regards to this law.

The sped kids deserve just as much opportunity and inclusion that any other child in the school system and if school can not educate and include (clubs/sports/ events) then the child the child and their family should have the right to go to a private school that can accommodate and service them appropriately.

Comment

I went to a public high school in a city. I live in the suburbs, but we had no high school so we went to the big city for school. I met all kinds of people there, some from other surrounding towns, some from the inner city. I then had a gaggle of friends from all walks, some athletes, some students, some dropped out.

Of that smattering, and the cross-section came from everywhere, they went on to become successful sales/marketing folks, a few doctors, politicians, firemen, DeadHeads, teachers, Engineers, policemen, river guides, ski instructors, coaches, small business owners, complete drop-outs, lawyers, etc.

So, the school is what you want to make out of it.

BUT, to be clear, I agree with your bolded statement 100%. That's a Union problem, and a big one. That's why I give my $$ everywhere I possibly can (and have to at times) to non-union shops.

Comment

So you don't think teachers should get a pension with their measly salaries? And let me guess you don't have a kid with special needs.

Comment

So you don't think teachers should get a pension with their measly salaries? And let me guess you don't have a kid with special needs.
                    Former teacher here. As an entry level teacher was paid at a rate of over $32 per hour over ten years ago. Hardly measly.

Comment

Former teacher here. As an entry level teacher was paid at a rate of over $32 per hour over ten years ago. Hardly measly.
                      http://www.nea.org/home/38465.htm

Average Starting Salary for a teacher in Massachusetts is $38,570

Comment

I know housekeepers who make more than that. Shameful.

Comment

This is bad info, my family is full of teachers and they work about 200 days per year and none of them make under 75K, but hey do deserve it especially all the extra work they have to do outside the classroom and keep up with IEPs and MCAS, they have to go to add training and professional development and be evaluated all the time.

The bottom line is that our politicians need to do one big sweeping change with tax reform, heath insurance for all and education all in one.

Fund all public education K-12 and public college by simplifying the tax code with an average tax rate at 17%

A lot of the wealthy countries have gone this route and so far it is going well.

It is the idea if it is not broke don't fix it and leave things the way they are that is dragging this country down right now, we need to be more progressive and make big changes so we are helping all people not just the fortunate few.

The corporate tax burden (what they actually pay) is the second lowest of the top 37 wealthiest countries

Most of the fraud of medicare, mass health and medicaid is committed by the medical providers not your average person living in the projects like most of you believe, they hire great coders that now how to bill services multiple times or break them down to get the most money out of government provided agencies and they bill for services never provided

Do not believe everything you hear do some research and get the facts, better yet listen to NPR for 1 hour a day and you will be well informed.

Comment

This is bad info, my family is full of teachers and they work about 200 days per year and none of them make under 75K, but hey do deserve it especially all the extra work they have to do outside the classroom and keep up with IEPs and MCAS, they have to go to add training and professional development and be evaluated all the time.

The bottom line is that our politicians need to do one big sweeping change with tax reform, heath insurance for all and education all in one.

Fund all public education K-12 and public college by simplifying the tax code with an average tax rate at 17%

A lot of the wealthy countries have gone this route and so far it is going well.

It is the idea if it is not broke don't fix it and leave things the way they are that is dragging this country down right now, we need to be more progressive and make big changes so we are helping all people not just the fortunate few.

The corporate tax burden (what they actually pay) is the second lowest of the top 37 wealthiest countries

Most of the fraud of medicare, mass health and medicaid is committed by the medical providers not your average person living in the projects like most of you believe, they hire great coders that now how to bill services multiple times or break them down to get the most money out of government provided agencies and they bill for services never provided

Do not believe everything you hear do some research and get the facts, better yet listen to NPR for 1 hour a day and you will be well informed.
                            talking about starting salary you dufus and this is a very reputable organization.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X