Best Coaches To Play for in NH Club Soccer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually I would disagree with you there. It’s true that most college players are identified and recruited while playing club soccer but a tough, strict high school coach with a good grasp of tactics plays a very important part in preparing kids for the college athletic experience. Setting boundaries and expectations, determining the levels and rigors of daily training, laying out the rules that need to be followed: these are all much closer to a high school program than a club program.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Actually I would disagree with you there. It’s true that most college players are identified and recruited while playing club soccer but a tough, strict high school coach with a good grasp of tactics plays a very important part in preparing kids for the college athletic experience. Setting boundaries and expectations, determining the levels and rigors of daily training, laying out the rules that need to be followed: these are all much closer to a high school program than a club program.
      This issue is that most high school coaches do none of this.

Comment

This issue is that most high school coaches do none of this.
        Yeah...that's where I was. I know a few (like CL for Central Boys) who is a great steward for the game in NH and does a lot for the community and preparing the kids for life after soccer...whenever that is. He'll get those with the right ambitions ready for college, but that's his background. I think he's the exception though, not the rule.

Comment

I attended the high school jamboree over the weekend in Pembroke hosted by GPSNH and Bedford HS and seeing some atrocious coaches and player attitudes.
          Do they realise its only pre season? Referees had to send players off or give yellow cards for not just over zealous tackles but words of disrespect and swearing...... Nashua North girls for one. Coach decent but players out of control. My daughters team were certainly up against it for sure.
          Other things of note.Memorial girls will struggle this year along with Merrimack whos coach RM leaves a lot to be desired.
          Teams who done well and were well coached Portsmouth girls with new coach BS, Bedford with MW and annual powerhouse Exeter and long time coach MC.
          Her brother DC now at Exeter seems to have inherited and decent boys group and will be up there. Bedford with SP rebuilding after losing his top six players. They were outclassed by TB and his Nashua South group which was no surprise with many of the top players at GPSNH now. Portsmouth looked big and strong so too were Oyster River. Trinity had lots of players but lacked quality so too Salem with new coach MP.
          Anyone else attend, thoughts ?

Comment

Good recap, but maybe put into into a HS Soccer thread vs. one about Club soccer coaches?

Comment

My apologies. Just statiing some of the issues some coaches will have this season. Its on the high school thread. How can i remove it of this one ?

Comment

My apologies. Just statiing some of the issues some coaches will have this season. Its on the high school thread. How can i remove it of this one ?
                No apologies necessary and I'm no moderator. Just thought it might get better traction there :-)

Comment

===
                  Level of play, speeds of play, quality of play and most times coaching levels are just not there (some good coaches exist). Almost never does a college coach turn up to watch a high school game because of these issues. Club coaching, should and does, get 90% of the credit. High School is mainly for those who do not want to play in college while those who do want to play work their hardest in Club. Let's face it, when 75% of your high school team can't make a pass your options are limited in regards to improvement.

Comment

===
                    Level of play, speeds of play, quality of play and most times coaching levels are just not there (some good coaches exist). Almost never does a college coach turn up to watch a high school game because of these issues. Club coaching, should and does, get 90% of the credit. High School is mainly for those who do not want to play in college while those who do want to play work their hardest in Club. Let's face it, when 75% of your high school team can't make a pass your options are limited in regards to improvement.
                    Meanwhile when you talk to successful college coaches who have had Winning traditions and longevity they will always go see a kid play HS that they first identify through club soccer. HS soccer mimics the college game with intensity, pressure on ball, and speed of play. Club soccer on Saturday is good and by Sunday at 12 it is a joke with little pressure on ball, sloppy play and unforced mistakes because kids are spent. That’s why Saturday games are attended by colleges more than sundays.

Comment

Meanwhile when you talk to successful college coaches who have had Winning traditions and longevity they will always go see a kid play HS that they first identify through club soccer. HS soccer mimics the college game with intensity, pressure on ball, and speed of play. Club soccer on Saturday is good and by Sunday at 12 it is a joke with little pressure on ball, sloppy play and unforced mistakes because kids are spent. That’s why Saturday games are attended by colleges more than sundays.
                      My daughter was being recruited by several D1 colleges and settled on a school and none came to a HS game.

Comment

HS soccer mimics the college game???? How so? Since only a handful of NH players go on to play D1 in college and they all play HS how does it mimic college?

Comment

HS soccer mimics the college game???? How so? Since only a handful of NH players go on to play D1 in college and they all play HS how does it mimic college?
                          When did the poster say DI college - my son played DII and college coaches came to his HS games. My daughter plays DIII now and the 4 schools who recruited her heavily came to some of her HS games. They were identified in club and recruited while playing in both club and HS. In fact my sons college coach in the recruiting process said he wanted to see kids play HS for the very reason the poster said.

Club gets the exposure but there are schools that will make the effort especially if your kid is Seriously on their radar.

Comment

When did the poster say DI college - my son played DII and college coaches came to his HS games. My daughter plays DIII now and the 4 schools who recruited her heavily came to some of her HS games. They were identified in club and recruited while playing in both club and HS. In fact my sons college coach in the recruiting process said he wanted to see kids play HS for the very reason the poster said.

Club gets the exposure but there are schools that will make the effort especially if your kid is Seriously on their radar.
                            I call BS, college coaches very rarely attend hs games, unless it is very close. They are in season and don’t have the time.

Comment

I call BS, college coaches very rarely attend hs games, unless it is very close. They are in season and don’t have the time.
                              It's plausible. If you were looking at a PSU or KSC, St. A's, etc. and went to HS nearby, they would come take a look. While it's different today, that's how I was recruited many years ago. Some of those coaches would go to the HS Jamborees and playoffs.

I wouldn't call it commonplace today, but plausible.

Comment

It's plausible. If you were looking at a PSU or KSC, St. A's, etc. and went to HS nearby, they would come take a look. While it's different today, that's how I was recruited many years ago. Some of those coaches would go to the HS Jamborees and playoffs.

I wouldn't call it commonplace today, but plausible.
                                ====
                                Fair point. We are in the Manchester area and St. A's came to a few games last year. I would never expect schools like BC, Providence, UMass, Tufts, Merrimack, etc. to show!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X