Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Given that the Metro League only has seven teams, finishing out of the Top Ten would be quite an achievement.
    That was the point.

Doesn’t matter. Jesuit drops 12 on every team.

Comment

Championship on girls side is Mountainsides to lose. Calling my shot now, States best player and a great supporting group.
      MS will get to the finals and have a great shot at bringing home the banner. But there is a lot of work to do.

Comment

MS will get to the finals and have a great shot at bringing home the banner. But there is a lot of work to do.
        I agree they have best player in state but you need rest of team to set up and coaching to do their job. One player can’t win a game by herself.

Comment

Predict West Salem is better than MS. On 9/16 Jesuit will be tested. Championship game will be a repeat of 9/16.

Comment

Who’s the troll that hates west Salem?

For Christ’s sakes, west will score zero goals and concede 9. Didn’t they give up 13 goals last year?

No west parent is stupid to post that s__t, so it’s clear someone is trolling.

Nice try.

Comment

I agree they have best player in state but you need rest of team to set up and coaching to do their job. One player can’t win a game by herself.

Mountainside will be very strong. A little early to call it. Let’s see four games.

Comment

Mountainside will be very strong. A little early to call it. Let’s see four games.
                If Jesuit didn’t lose a lot of starters, I think Jesuit still runs away with it. Maybe even if they lost a lot of starters. Mountainside and Salem or someone else fight it out for the privilege of losing to Jesuit in the finals.

Any school from last year’s top 8 lose a lot more starters than others?

Any surprise newcomers to the top 8?

Comment

UofJ just reloads

Comment

Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
                    Top Nine

Jesuit
                    Oregon City
                    Clackamas
                    West Linn
                    Mountainside
                    Sherwood
                    Sunset
                    Tualatin
                    Tigard

Jesuit will average 10 goals per game.

Sunset? No chance. They won't even be top ten their conference.

They should be 7th in their conference if they play their cards right.

Comment

Given that the Metro League only has seven teams, finishing out of the Top Ten would be quite an achievement.
                      They will overachieve this year and finish in 7th in the Metro.

Comment

Combine all 6A Schools-

How many GK punts will there be? 14,780
                        How many times a GK is instructed by a coach to bowl the ball? 0
                        How many goal kicks dumped to the middle of the field? 17,800
                        How many goal kicks played short? 28
                        How many headers? 9,000,977
                        Average three pass combinations per game? 1
                        How many times per game that the ball leaves the playing field? 87

Comment

Combine all 6A Schools-

How many GK punts will there be? 14,780
                          How many times a GK is instructed by a coach to bowl the ball? 0
                          How many goal kicks dumped to the middle of the field? 17,800
                          How many goal kicks played short? 28
                          How many headers? 9,000,977
                          Average three pass combinations per game? 1
                          How many times per game that the ball leaves the playing field? 87
                          You just described the u14 TA game I watched in Oceanside last November.

Comment

You just described the u14 TA game I watched in Oceanside last November.
                            You guys are ridiculous. Play out of the back is great to keep possession, but a wise coach once told me, if you can pass the ball up and have someone that can bring it down and your team can advance from better field position, transition to attacking the other team quicker, or score, do it. The goal is to get the ball in the goal. Now I know everyone will point out “the big kid” who can do this will go away when kids get older, so learn how to possess even if you can win via booting the ball, because eventually you will need to know how to beat teams with short quick passing and good dribbling decisions up the field. Have discipline now, to pay off later.

I have a kid that is on the higher end of dribbling skills, lots of futsal, very quick. The “possession based” play you are touting as some savior of strategy, should be developed “yes”, but at competitive levels you better also have kids on the field that can bring the ball down in the air, muscle others off the ball, know how to use their larger frame/body, able to shoot from the outside to keep the defense honest. Possession skills need to be developed, but so does all the other things I list here too.

I would also add, it depends on the team you are playing. What are your strengths vs. theirs? No two games are alike. Now please stop the reply lecture of how extremely “not possession based” XYZ team was playing or how OR doesn’t teach this style of play. This approach to learning soccer is nothing new, and “yes” it is not new to teach it in OR. Any Mom or Dad on YouTube could figure out they should appreciate possession based play. It has great value, but it is not the whole story. Don’t you know your kind of rhetoric is for beginning soccer minds? Those that hold on to simple things they have learned and apply it to everything they see?

I am no genius, but the “oh so and so doesn’t teach how to possess the ball” is so yesterday.

Comment

You guys are ridiculous. Play out of the back is great to keep possession, but a wise coach once told me, if you can pass the ball up and have someone that can bring it down and your team can advance from better field position, transition to attacking the other team quicker, or score, do it. The goal is to get the ball in the goal. Now I know everyone will point out “the big kid” who can do this will go away when kids get older, so learn how to possess even if you can win via booting the ball, because eventually you will need to know how to beat teams with short quick passing and good dribbling decisions up the field. Have discipline now, to pay off later.

I have a kid that is on the higher end of dribbling skills, lots of futsal, very quick. The “possession based” play you are touting as some savior of strategy, should be developed “yes”, but at competitive levels you better also have kids on the field that can bring the ball down in the air, muscle others off the ball, know how to use their larger frame/body, able to shoot from the outside to keep the defense honest. Possession skills need to be developed, but so does all the other things I list here too.

I would also add, it depends on the team you are playing. What are your strengths vs. theirs? No two games are alike. Now please stop the reply lecture of how extremely “not possession based” XYZ team was playing or how OR doesn’t teach this style of play. This approach to learning soccer is nothing new, and “yes” it is not new to teach it in OR. Any Mom or Dad on YouTube could figure out they should appreciate possession based play. It has great value, but it is not the whole story. Don’t you know your kind of rhetoric is for beginning soccer minds? Those that hold on to simple things they have learned and apply it to everything they see?

I am no genius, but the “oh so and so doesn’t teach how to possess the ball” is so yesterday.
                              It was my post you were replying to, and I agree with you! I was pointing out to the "elitist/soccer purist" (also known as TA advocate/apologist) that their product is just as smelly as the other teams they criticize. For the record, I enjoy soccer. I find value in watching any match, and while there are certain teams that may be harder to watch than others, I appreciate the effort, the passion and hopefully the joy of the players. Be it DA, ECNL, OYSA, PDP, Highschool, College, MLS...on up. Wish others on here could feel the same and stop trying to influence others with their own insecurities. Our kids are only kids once...let them look back fondly and with appreciation for the game and the role their parents played in supporting them.

Comment

This.

Many people confuse "pedagogical" soccer with "competitive" soccer. The mantra to "play out of the back" is good advice in pedagogical soccer--teams that cannot do this will be at a disadvantage. Being able to advance the ball on the ground, in the face of pressure from the opposing defense, is an important skill for players (individually, and as members of teams) to learn. Teams that can ONLY advance the ball by airing it out are at a disadvantage--bootball teams are generally easy to defend at the top level; and few keepers at this age are good enough at distribution to accurately place punts. High-level teams will generally have fast defenders, and the fastest defender without the ball will usually be faster than the fastest forward with it.

But a team that refuses to play longballs is just as one-dimensional as one that only does so. Such teams become easy to defend; simply press them. The way to break a press is over the top--not necessarily a prayer into space behind the defense for a forward to run onto, but the more defenders the ball can pass over, in general the better.

Again, it gets back to the point of the game. If a team is trying to win more than teach (and since are talking about HS soccer--games being played in front of paying spectators--winning should be a primary goal), then the more tactics available, the better. Defense sits back? Bring it out of the back, be patient, and look to get their defense out of shape and exploit the opening. Defense presses? Punish them with a longball over the top. But a team that can't (or won't) do either of these, will be at a disadvantage.

Soccer fans that are religious about "playing out of the back" are just as obnoxious and shortsighted as baseball fans who denigrate home-run sluggers and insist upon "manufacturing runs", or American football fans who think that running between the tackles is the only way to play. But in the context of youth-soccer, learning to do so is important, and far too many coaches screw over their kids by not teaching this.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X