Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    a good coach is demanding but not derogatory or demeaning. Why would you let your kid be around somebody who is derogatory?
    Most likely because the same behaviors are happening in the home.

Comment

a good coach is demanding but not derogatory or demeaning. Why would you let your kid be around somebody who is derogatory?
      Usually don’t know until it’s too late and kid is already signed up for the club team, odp team or whatever. At least half the coaches in Oregon at her age group yell derogatory things at the players and aren’t the best coaches. Sadly, it’s hard to avoid.

Comment

Usually don’t know until it’s too late and kid is already signed up for the club team, odp team or whatever. At least half the coaches in Oregon at her age group yell derogatory things at the players and aren’t the best coaches. Sadly, it’s hard to avoid.
        What age group is this? I have very rarely heard coaches lash out with personal insults and denounce their players. Any decent club would terminate a coach who repeatedly exhibited this behavior, even if they have conditioned the players and families to accept it.

Comment

What age group is this? I have very rarely heard coaches lash out with personal insults and denounce their players. Any decent club would terminate a coach who repeatedly exhibited this behavior, even if they have conditioned the players and families to accept it.
          He has been fired for such behavior. Started a new club. Fired. Started a new club again. Welcome to Medford

Comment

Had 3 like this. One at ODP, two at local club. The first was worse and was finally fired after many years. Have know 2 that never made any real derogatory remarks but most lose their temper once in awhile, say hurtful things and then everyone moves on.

Comment

Had 3 like this. One at ODP, two at local club. The first was worse and was finally fired after many years. Have know 2 that never made any real derogatory remarks but most lose their temper once in awhile, say hurtful things and then everyone moves on.
              Again what age group? Did you do anything to protect your child and other kids on the team or just turn a deaf ear and “move on”.
              https://changingthegameproject.com/a...erated-sports/

Comment

I’m sorry to break it to ya but the best youth coaches in Oregon don’t call their players “f&cking morons”. How is turning a deaf ear to verbal abuse setting kids up for success in relationships later as they enter adulthood? Do they just become resilient and think it’s acceptable, or the norm?
                Who did he call a f*ing moron? Boys? Girls? Age group? Has he said similar things before? Why would a parent tolerate this? Why would a club tolerate this?

Comment

If the behavior from the coach is consistent and repeated it’s not just verbal abuse it’s bullying. Specifically, bullying is defined as repeated hostile and deliberate behavior from one person (coach) to another (player) with the intent to harm marked by an imbalance of power.
                  Studies show coaches initially become emotionally abusive after the athlete reached a more competitive level and did not live up to the coach’s expectations. The experiences include degrading comments, personal criticisms, acts of humiliation, belittlement, and the silent treatment, etc. . The coach typically used these strategies in front of an audience, ie teammates and other coaches. It also sends a message to bystanders.
                  There are plenty of great coaches in Oregon. There is no reason on earth to keep your child with a coach like this for a whole year or god forbid longer. If they aren’t the victim of the coaches verbal/emotional abuse on the team, they are being conditioned to be a bystander.

Comment

If the behavior from the coach is consistent and repeated it’s not just verbal abuse it’s bullying. Specifically, bullying is defined as repeated hostile and deliberate behavior from one person (coach) to another (player) with the intent to harm marked by an imbalance of power.
                    Studies show coaches initially become emotionally abusive after the athlete reached a more competitive level and did not live up to the coach’s expectations. The experiences include degrading comments, personal criticisms, acts of humiliation, belittlement, and the silent treatment, etc. . The coach typically used these strategies in front of an audience, ie teammates and other coaches. It also sends a message to bystanders.
                    There are plenty of great coaches in Oregon. There is no reason on earth to keep your child with a coach like this for a whole year or god forbid longer. If they aren’t the victim of the coaches verbal/emotional abuse on the team, they are being conditioned to be a bystander.
                    Oh the B word. Please go cry somewhere else about how you and your kid didn’t meet anyone’s expectations including your own. Your soapbox stand far from the realities of what is happening is hilarious. You probably are worse to your kids than that coach is to the players. If you don’t like it or they don’t there are 5 other clubs within 15 miles. You keep on with your lacking pathway and stop trying to throw gas on any match because your flame burned out well before you turned sour.

Comment

Who did he call a f*ing moron? Boys? Girls? Age group? Has he said similar things before? Why would a parent tolerate this? Why would a club tolerate this?
                      Goalie on girls team. Status Quo.
                      Why would a parent tolerate this? Good question.

Comment

To the player?

Or to another coach, friend, confidant behind close doors.

Meant for somebody else and intercepted, overheard?

100% coaches say stuff they don't want anyone to hear, aren't meant for anyone. Coaching can be frustrating and it can be difficult to manage a whole lot of of people's expectations.

Calling a player a name is not acceptable. Depending on factors (aggravating/mitigating) discipline to include getting fired.

I see a lot of things that are tolerated by opposing clubs and I'm amazed. Especially at "marquee clubs." Remote control coaches, berating referees, yelling at players "what is wrong with you" even.

There are lot of people knowledgeable of the game, and can maybe even teach it, but have no business influence the development of a person - soccer included.

Comment

To the player?

100% coaches say stuff they don't want anyone to hear, aren't meant for anyone. Coaching can be frustrating and it can be difficult to manage a whole lot of of people's expectations.

Calling a player a name is not acceptable. Depending on factors (aggravating/mitigating) discipline to include getting fired.

I see a lot of things that are tolerated by opposing clubs and I'm amazed. Especially at "marquee clubs." Remote control coaches, berating referees, yelling at players "what is wrong with you" even.

There are lot of people knowledgeable of the game, and can maybe even teach it, but have no business influence the development of a person - soccer included.
                          Don’t act surprised. He’s always been this way. Been fired for similar behavior, fired from GPS for allegedly not paying. Ills, started new club with no oversight.

Feel sad for parents they look the other way when he is verbally abusive to players.

He was fired from one club for saying something defeatist and for plagiarism. Now new club plagiarized a bunch if content and nobody cares. He is a liar (playing background) and a thief (plagiarist) and sounds like he doesn’t lay his debts.

Very poor role model for future powerful men in the young women’s lives...coaches, professors, bosses, husbands. Hope they don’t allow low morals and abuse in those relationships.

But, but, but....

Comment

Don’t act surprised. He’s always been this way. Been fired for similar behavior, fired from GPS for allegedly not paying. Ills, started new club with no oversight.

Feel sad for parents they look the other way when he is verbally abusive to players.

He was fired from one club for saying something defeatist and for plagiarism. Now new club plagiarized a bunch if content and nobody cares. He is a liar (playing background) and a thief (plagiarist) and sounds like he doesn’t lay his debts.

Very poor role model for future powerful men in the young women’s lives...coaches, professors, bosses, husbands. Hope they don’t allow low morals and abuse in those relationships.

But, but, but....
                            Sounds like a great guy.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2553522]To the player?

Yelled at/about goalie after letting in a goal.
                              Heard by team on field and on bench.
                              Blamed loss on goalie.
                              Nothing new.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2553826]
                                To the player?

Yelled at/about goalie after letting in a goal.
                                Heard by team on field and on bench.
                                Blamed loss on goalie.
                                Nothing new.
                                Still, context matters.

Mumbling, talking to yourself... "what a f'ing moron" is in poor taste, unprofessional..but it happens. I've been there. I've had players do some crazy dumb stuff. Of course you think it, you def. tell your peers about it, and you might even say it "to yourself out loud." Shouting it across the field, "you are a f'ing moron" is pretty simple, You're fired. In those circumstances.....ill advised. I've been on the bench and had a player do something and I've commented to players on the bench, "see, it's important to do this..." Or "that's why I stress...." I'll confess that's OK, but I'll admit I've done that.

Blamed the loss on the goalie. Unprofessional. Really after a loss is the last time to tell everyone what they did wrong. At the start of the next practice is a better time for that stuff.

I had a game where the keeper and striker challenged for the ball. Striker won. Then casually shot from from the top of the box and missed when they could have dribbled it in.

Is it that players fault we were left with the draw? In part. I don't think it's bad to stress the importance of "your job" on the field and pointing out the decisions you make (bad) are grounds for improvement. And in this situation it was a tournament with a game in a couple hours so I left it with...in the next game, I'd like to see you do....

Here's the deal. I've maybe met this guy once or twice but I hear about him being a liar - which is too bad because I think* he's a pretty OK coach. And he'd probably would have been alright just trying to make it on his legit resume. But then again, I'm really not deep in the scene so what do I know.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X