Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSPL Surf Academy - thoughts/opinions?

Like it says in the title. What has your experience been?

Quality of coaching? Competitiveness? Worth doing?

Comparisons with EPD (given their claim to be a "turbo-charged" version of ODP/EPD)?

Is it only open to players at PSPL clubs? Can players with RCL clubs be selected?

I'm sure others will chime in but from our experience it's been attrocious. Minimal contact with coaches, best players choosing not to play due to poor communication and coaching, too expensive, low level tournaments. Always felt like a money spinner for the coaches and the PSPL.

Over inflated promises with zero follow through or substance. Sad as it has lots of potential.

Comment

It is open to anyone but Do Not Waste Your Time...I would agree, it has been disappointing. Started off positive after tryouts (Boys) and they claim everyone starts out at the same level which is not the case. There have been individuals that weren't at tryouts and suddenly, they're on the team (some even had a tryout during practice). Not everyone will make/go to every tournament scheduled and they say each player will get a chance. After the first one, which was won convincingly by our group, they kept the same players in tact for the next one (they'll open it up as a technicality but with no intention of bringing anyone else on). Spent money on the uniform and the travel fee which will never be used.

Comment

PSPL Surf Academy

We also tried it a few years ago, made the team and then just ran into one issue after another with poor communication from coaches/admin. The quality of the team also appeared to be lower level compared to EPD.

After an email sent to the coach and admin with some of my concerns, I was promptly refunded my money and they did not seek to address any of my concerns.

Comment

Our experience has been different then the other posters. They have made good strides in making things better the last two years. Now that Vernon Croft is in charge. My son is a ‘06 and the quality of the players has increased both years along with the training and development. Players from PSPL and RCL are at all age groups. Both of the ‘06 boys teams won Gold and Silver Divisions at Lake Oswego Cup in July. G ‘06 won as well. The G’05 team has won two tournaments so far, Real Colorado and Pleasanton Rage. Three years ago the Academy was a hot mess. Last two have definitely been better in our experience at my son’s age group and he is having a great experience along with creating new friendships. Friends of ours have players on G’05 and G’06. Both are happy with the current progress. So I guess similar to club experiences we all have. Some good, some bad.

Comment

PSPL Surf Academy

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            Our experience has been different then the other posters. They have made good strides in making things better the last two years. Now that Vernon Croft is in charge. My son is a ‘06 and the quality of the players has increased both years along with the training and development. Players from PSPL and RCL are at all age groups. Both of the ‘06 boys teams won Gold and Silver Divisions at Lake Oswego Cup in July. G ‘06 won as well. The G’05 team has won two tournaments so far, Real Colorado and Pleasanton Rage. Three years ago the Academy was a hot mess. Last two have definitely been better in our experience at my son’s age group and he is having a great experience along with creating new friendships. Friends of ours have players on G’05 and G’06. Both are happy with the current progress. So I guess similar to club experiences we all have. Some good, some bad.
            Glad to hear you're having a good experience on the B06 team. It sounds like they have improved since our experience on the B06 team. Seeing some of the 06 PSPL academy boys try out for EPD, they are not standing out and the ones I knew were not on the callback list. I think there is still a gap and EPD seems to attract a higher caliber of player. Regardless, I like that there are outlets to meet other players, learn from different coaches and have a different experience outside of their club team.

Comment

We did the Surf Academy a few years back. 2015 maybe? It was actually a pretty terrible experience for us for the reasons noted. Poor communication for the most part. Very unorganized during travel prep, etc. Wound up costing us a lot more than ECNL does to be honest. And, ECNL is way better (same team training together all the time, travel is very well organized, the coaches are great) for us. I've heard they've gotten much better though.

Comment

My dd is on the g05 PSPL Surf Team. For us it's been a great experience, while much more expensive than EPD. Initial fees of $500 plus $500 in uniforms. She'll go on three tournaments for ~$1K each, and monthly trainings. While they advertised more tournaments, three is all we would want, and the training has been excellent.

Travel, coach involvement, and team chemistry have been fantastic. My daughter has learned a new position, and had a great experience.

Open to both PSPL and RCL. Quite a few girls on the team recently made the EPD team, but I would say EPD attracts higher skill level. It's been a great fit ramping up from a PSPL team, and the Surf Academy team was much better than her club team.

That being said, her club did not work well with Surf, and that was part of the decision to leave the club. Surf is supposed to provide greater competition and travel options for those on a club team that is more limited, and I think they are doing a great job with that.

Comment

My dd is on the g05 PSPL Surf Team. For us it's been a great experience, while much more expensive than EPD. Initial fees of $500 plus $500 in uniforms. She'll go on three tournaments for ~$1K each, and monthly trainings. While they advertised more tournaments, three is all we would want, and the training has been excellent.

Travel, coach involvement, and team chemistry have been fantastic. My daughter has learned a new position, and had a great experience.

Open to both PSPL and RCL. Quite a few girls on the team recently made the EPD team, but I would say EPD attracts higher skill level. It's been a great fit ramping up from a PSPL team, and the Surf Academy team was much better than her club team.

That being said, her club did not work well with Surf, and that was part of the decision to leave the club. Surf is supposed to provide greater competition and travel options for those on a club team that is more limited, and I think they are doing a great job with that.
                  $500 for a uniform ? Is it gold plated ? That’s when you know you are being treated as a mug .

Comment

$500 for a uniform ? Is it gold plated ? That’s when you know you are being treated as a mug .
                    For real it is $ 100 may little more

Comment

It's the entire kit, mate. Warm Ups, Uni.....everything. About middle of the road, $500, really.

Comment

It’s about the same for every club we’ve been on. We didn’t get the pants and warmup jacket initially, but when they travel, they travel in the kit for the whole weekend so we ended up buying it. Sure, shirt, shorts, socks only will run you less which is what you can start with.

Comment

It's the entire kit, mate. Warm Ups, Uni.....everything. About middle of the road, $500, really.
                          You mean they are full kit wankers ? Mate ....

Comment

No, it means you guy everything (uniform for home and away, warm ups, socks). $500 is about the norm anymore.

Comment

"full kit wanker" refers to fans who dress up in shirt, shorts, socks, even boots, rather than just a shirt.

If you're wearing a full kit because you're actually playing soccer, you're not a FKW. If you are sitting in a pub wearing tube socks, though, you probably are.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X