Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This is how it should've always been. Whether you like the MLS or not, the way to aggregate the best talent from any particular area is to have 1 beacon Academy / club that all players strive to be part of. Laws of averages, the fewer spots to earn the better the competition to get it. Even if the coaches were sub par, having the best players would mitigate that for the most part.

This is also true for coaches. The only way a non MLS club should be part of the top tier is when their particular geographical area is not well served by an MLS Academy. Eastern Washington would have more claim to a spot than XF in that regard.

XF has always been a 2nd tier program, 1st choice of players would've always been the Sounders since its inception. XF were just able to compete well with often 2nd choice players.
    Perhaps Bernie can go 'All in' with the ECNL?
    Disagree - open system and cream will rise. There are some terrible mls academies (fire, timbers to name a few). Xfire, barcelona (az) do a better job.

Comment

Interesting to see the King Pin of a closed league that helps artificially restrict an open market approach, forcing players to play at certain clubs or have their clubs merge with existing entities to get access, restricting the level at which non-members can play (as its a direct threat to their business model) complaining that US Soccer is doing the exact same thing with their own Academy system? The Irony.

Comment

Or.. the Justice 😂😂

Comment

Like most arguments. Always About Money.
          Just out of curiosity, why did they change the boys DA starting point
          from U12 to U15 for XF and Sounders? Do the boys play boys ECNL
          from U13 to 14, then go to the XF or Sounders at U15? Or is there
          a training program earlier? I would think that they ID boys who
          are capable much earlier than U15.
          XFire and Sounders have always started full DA program later than other areas of the country due to DA policy that youngers shouldn't travel too much and there would therefore be only four programs (adding in Whitecaps and Timbers) for competition. At younger ages Sounder have had training pools for ID. Xfire, obviously has had it's RCL teams as feeders up. That is why the "fully funded" XF academy is a bit of a joke-those boys have been paying XF for years before they are brought into DA team.

Comment

XFire and Sounders have always started full DA program later than other areas of the country due to DA policy that youngers shouldn't travel too much and there would therefore be only four programs (adding in Whitecaps and Timbers) for competition. At younger ages Sounder have had training pools for ID. Xfire, obviously has had it's RCL teams as feeders up. That is why the "fully funded" XF academy is a bit of a joke-those boys have been paying XF for years before they are brought into DA team.
            Thank you for explaining how the DA program works -- this makes a lot of sense. I don't think it's really fair to say that Xfire funding the older programs is a joke though -- it's a big help to the budget. We know families who have dropped out of soccer when they couldn't afford to continue and still pay for other things kids needed as they got older, like braces or high school tutoring. Our kid recently joined xfire at older age and we get the funding without having paid in previously, and we know quite a few other older transfers on both boys and girls sides. I know xfire offers funding because they see it as a win for their club/business vs altuism, but anything that makes soccer more affordable and accessible to more kids seems like a positive.

Comment

The only reason XF went to a 'funded' model was because the Sounders did so as part of their MLS Academy mandate, same for the girls with other competing programs. You still get the benefit so the motivation isn't necessarily important in that aspect. But be under no illusion its 'for the kids' because it certainly isnt or else it would've always been that way and XF's costs across the board would be much less.

The 99% fund the 1% along with some select placement of donor families kids.

Comment

Yeah, there's no altruism in soccer.

Comment

Yeah, there's no altruism in soccer.
                  I dunno...per another poster, the rumor was that some coaches are very altruistic when you front them 4-figure sums for private training.

Comment

No they wouldn’t turn down a pay check .....

Comment

Thank you for explaining how the DA program works -- this makes a lot of sense. I don't think it's really fair to say that Xfire funding the older programs is a joke though -- it's a big help to the budget. We know families who have dropped out of soccer when they couldn't afford to continue and still pay for other things kids needed as they got older, like braces or high school tutoring. Our kid recently joined xfire at older age and we get the funding without having paid in previously, and we know quite a few other older transfers on both boys and girls sides. I know xfire offers funding because they see it as a win for their club/business vs altuism, but anything that makes soccer more affordable and accessible to more kids seems like a positive.
                      All of the clubs offer funding to some kids. it's great that your kid got some-means they are a great player. It is unfortunate that Xfire has been unable to wrest training compensation for Yedlin. That would have been a game changer for all of the clubs ability to fund players.

The plus side of Xfire model is that their DA team is mostly (entirely?) local kids who have come up through either their system or their rivals. Sounders DA is completely free from training pools on but local boys are regularly replaced by shiny bright objects from out of state.

Comment

Bernie lost everything and that is why he is publicly bitching about it. The keys were the solidarity payments and MLS not getting the top kids. It was all about greed and money. Bernie underestimated that MLS owners were more greedy than he was. Yes, he "won" with FIFA, but he lost. The best players will go Sounders and parents will sign anything to have a chance at pro. Bernie will get the second stringers that will have no chance to go pro. College, yes. Pro, no. MLS owns USSoccer.

Girl side was a spectacular flame out. Holy crap. I mean, HOLY CRAP. Bernie could have kept his monopoly with ECNL and locked out other clubs. He could have received two ECNL teams like other ECNL by going all-in, but he delayed because he wanted to protect the boy's DA. ECNL punished him by allowing 3 clubs to get ECNL. I have to laugh. Did he really think he can fight the MLS clubs and USSoccer at the same time? He doesn't care about the girl's side. It is always about the boy's side. Now, he has none. I am glad my kid is already in recruiting age and don't need this drama. I feel bad for the ulittle parents to have to go through this bullcr@p.

Comment

Bernie lost everything and that is why he is publicly bitching about it. The keys were the solidarity payments and MLS not getting the top kids. It was all about greed and money. Bernie underestimated that MLS owners were more greedy than he was. Yes, he "won" with FIFA, but he lost. The best players will go Sounders and parents will sign anything to have a chance at pro. Bernie will get the second stringers that will have no chance to go pro. College, yes. Pro, no. MLS owns USSoccer.

Girl side was a spectacular flame out. Holy crap. I mean, HOLY CRAP. Bernie could have kept his monopoly with ECNL and locked out other clubs. He could have received two ECNL teams like other ECNL by going all-in, but he delayed because he wanted to protect the boy's DA. ECNL punished him by allowing 3 clubs to get ECNL. I have to laugh. Did he really think he can fight the MLS clubs and USSoccer at the same time? He doesn't care about the girl's side. It is always about the boy's side. Now, he has none. I am glad my kid is already in recruiting age and don't need this drama. I feel bad for the ulittle parents to have to go through this bullcr@p.

He is publicly bitching about it because the boy's got regulated to second tier while the teams in first tier are teams he regularly beats. This just happened weeks ago.

The split with Crossfire and Sounders has always been between college and pros. Nothing new there.

Comment

The split with Crossfire and Sounders has always been between college and pros. Nothing new there.
                            Somewhat true but this really tips the scales towards Sounders. Everyone at a young age has pro aspirations.

Comment

"Bernie underestimated that MLS owners were more greedy than he was"

Brilliant! Pretty much sums up the status quo of US Soccer.

Comment

"Bernie underestimated that MLS owners were more greedy than he was"

Brilliant! Pretty much sums up the status quo of US Soccer.
                                Yep ,nearly every level has greed and grubby little fingers in the honey pot ! Let’s be serious here do you think any of these guys would get a job in Europe ? Even at minor teams they would be laughed out of town . Here they get to thrive and get to make a career out of being 3rd rate . Suckers everywhere (including myself)

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X