Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Excellent. Your point #8 is very true and I would say the chance of going pro - in a meaningful way, in a league or level in which it is worth the sacrifice of academics - is close to zero. Anyone who can should play a high level tournament in Europe. It will give you perspective on this point #8 and you will realize how true it is. your kid is nowhere close to big time international soccer. I don't care what he did in state cup.

There are many misguided parents out there. Mostly from parents that come from other countries and do not understand how things work here. By the time they get it, it may be too late.

Which leads into #9. without the grades, it all means nothing. You have many parents whether they realize it or not sacrificing grades for soccer, settling for a "B" because the kid plays soccer instead of demanding something better. academics is just as competitive as soccer. little messi getting a "B" from your corner high school will not cut it anywhere. You will not get into good public Florida colleges (UF) with a high school B average. Your kid needs a B plus or better from a competitive, demanding high school and solid SATs.
    You are correct on some point...

1. The high school you attend matters little as long as they are in a rigorous curriculum (IB, AP, AICE...) and you are maintaining a top 10 percent GPA (usually over a 4)

2. Test Scores matter the most, but it works on a sliding scale (higher test score/lower GPA and vice versa).

3. B/B plus don't typically impact your GPA...then again some districts may award points for B plus.

4. You are correct...academics suffering because of sport when it doesn't need to seems counter productive.

This is direction the sport has come to...train year round, work every day or you will fall behind everyone else in the league...this is what leagues promote and some parents.

Comment

I will add points #11 and 12:

11) If your child is not playing meaningful minutes on a very strong team, then move them to a weaker team and let them develop. No player got better simply by training, and watching their teammates play games. That is a lie told to you by DOC's and coaches trying to pad their own wallets by taking additional bench warmers who they have no intention of playing.

12) The game is the best teacher
      The actual meaning of that phrase is that "playing" soccer is the best way to learn the nuances of the sport. Not that structured, official game situations with limited touches and involvement leads to a lot of development. That is a false assumption.

You can actually develop much more playing less on a stronger team because you will be pushed harder in practice. The level of competition is an important factor in development. Now if your child is clearly out of place then yes, drop them to a weaker team. But if they can hold their own but simply aren't as good as the top players, let them train. To be the best you have to beat the best (in games OR practices).

Comment

The actual meaning of that phrase is that "playing" soccer is the best way to learn the nuances of the sport. Not that structured, official game situations with limited touches and involvement leads to a lot of development. That is a false assumption.

You can actually develop much more playing less on a stronger team because you will be pushed harder in practice. The level of competition is an important factor in development. Now if your child is clearly out of place then yes, drop them to a weaker team. But if they can hold their own but simply aren't as good as the top players, let them train. To be the best you have to beat the best (in games OR practices).
        Correct.
        The OP doesn't have a clue.
        First, a weaker team more likely has a weaker coach. Good luck getting developed with a weak coach.

Playing in games is important, but practice session is where you learn. And many people misunderstand when its said the game is the best teacher.

Its not necessarily in the structured game (refs, rules, etc.). Its playing pick-up games, being creative with friends at the park. Its playing the game in general; in addition to structured practice sessions and games.

Comment

I made the original post. I could have listed 100 things. My son won 2 state titles in high school and that was great, but that's an individual decision. My son has had great coaches and not so great coaches. That wasn't my point of the post

My only point is to slow down, enjoy, be realistic, love the kids, love the game and don't make emotional decisions that you falsely believe are in the best interest of your kids.

The only thing I should have added is, let your kids play other sports if they desire. It's a great release for them.

Comment

You are correct on some point...

1. The high school you attend matters little as long as they are in a rigorous curriculum (IB, AP, AICE...) and you are maintaining a top 10 percent GPA (usually over a 4)

2. Test Scores matter the most, but it works on a sliding scale (higher test score/lower GPA and vice versa).

3. B/B plus don't typically impact your GPA...then again some districts may award points for B plus.

4. You are correct...academics suffering because of sport when it doesn't need to seems counter productive.

This is direction the sport has come to...train year round, work every day or you will fall behind everyone else in the league...this is what leagues promote and some parents.
            I feel what is missing is the same sense of urgency applied to academics. The points you outlined (1-4) are what you need to have a shot of getting into UF. We are not talking about Ivy league or even ACC. That's where parents are missing the boat. Having a "good" student with a B average and average SATs will not get him or her into a decent college. The sense of urgency that parents apply to soccer should be applied to improving grades and test scores. No one wants to hear this. Everyone prefers to dream their kid will play in Europe.

Comment

I feel what is missing is the same sense of urgency applied to academics. The points you outlined (1-4) are what you need to have a shot of getting into UF. We are not talking about Ivy league or even ACC. That's where parents are missing the boat. Having a "good" student with a B average and average SATs will not get him or her into a decent college. The sense of urgency that parents apply to soccer should be applied to improving grades and test scores. No one wants to hear this. Everyone prefers to dream their kid will play in Europe.
              Not every kid is going to make it into UF or Harvard no matter how hard they work. However, if that is their dream then they should consider investing into AP courses, SAT prep courses, unless they were born with IT and don't have to work for it.

Comment

Not every kid is going to make it into UF or Harvard no matter how hard they work. However, if that is their dream then they should consider investing into AP courses, SAT prep courses, unless they were born with IT and don't have to work for it.
                Look, of course you are right. But I think there are a lot of kids that are say UF potential yet because of the soccer they don't make it and end up at an inferior school. That is wrong headed thinking by most parents. parent may not realize just how damn competitive college admissions really is.

Comment

I'll take my chances in the 1%

Comment

I'll take my chances in the 1%
                    You do as you please. But know the chances of your son playing professional in Europe is a lot less than 1%. More like 1-5% of all DA kids. So, ask yourself this, of the DA kids you have seen, is your son in the top 1-5% of all of these kids?

That's just having the requisite talent to get in the door. Then you have mental issues. The kids at that level are hungry to succeed beyond words. Your kid with a nice house in FL is probably nowhere near as hungry as the African kid whose family will not eat if he doesn't make it to serie A. Good luck, stay thirsty.

Comment

It is almost universally accepted that you develop far more in well planned training situations than in a game.
                      Develop for what? Pros? College? If clubs were turning out teams where 90% of the players go on to play college or pro, then I might agree with you. But the numbers here in the U.S. are just the opposite. If you look at the registered players with USYSA, I would say far more than 90% stop playing (competitively) after high school.

Many quit long before high school ends because of this absurd notion that development is paramount to actually having fun on the field.

Comment

You can actually develop much more playing less on a stronger team because you will be pushed harder in practice.

You have bought into the lie. While that might be true for a small percentage of players, far more players quit the game because they lose a love for it.

Comment

There is a non-profit in Tampa that helps parents understand the college admissions process.

The right fit foundation http://www.rightfitfoundation.org/

Check it out.

Comment

Develop for what? Pros? College? If clubs were turning out teams where 90% of the players go on to play college or pro, then I might agree with you. But the numbers here in the U.S. are just the opposite. If you look at the registered players with USYSA, I would say far more than 90% stop playing (competitively) after high school.

Many quit long before high school ends because of this absurd notion that development is paramount to actually having fun on the field.
                            What you describe is rec. Kids should play rec if they want to have fun. Competitive/development is for the kids that want to play at a higher level.

Yes, you numbers are probably close to reality. 90% stop playing. Those are the rec kids. Only 10% have the competitiveness for the sport.

Its those kids that "development" is for.

And that brings us to the thread OP. Its those 90% that think their kids are talented and gonna be pro's. Those parents need to back away and let their kids play rec and just enjoy the game.

Comment

What you describe is rec. Kids should play rec if they want to have fun. Competitive/development is for the kids that want to play at a higher level.

Yes, you numbers are probably close to reality. 90% stop playing. Those are the rec kids. Only 10% have the competitiveness for the sport.

Its those kids that "development" is for.

And that brings us to the thread OP. Its those 90% that think their kids are talented and gonna be pro's. Those parents need to back away and let their kids play rec and just enjoy the game.
                              Sounds like you are one of the parents we all have on an older team, that is "banking" on their kid getting some money for college from soccer. However, many of us have planned ahead and actually saved for our kids future. Soccer IS about our kids competing and having fun. We don't give a damn if your kid gets a scholarship or not. So stop talking to us about it. The older the kids get, the worse you types become. No wonder so many kids stop playing, and yes ones that are more talented than your little "C" student. Cheers

Comment

7)Understand every ref stinks. They are human and make mistakes. A lot of mistakes!!!
                                MOST PLAYERS STINK. THEY ARE KIDS AND ALL MAKE A LOT OF MISTAKES

7) A lot of the parents stink, too. They are human and make mistakes. A lot of mistakes!!!
                                Like getting their kids involved in travel soccer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X