Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Ok but I'm not sure what you mean by staying in general contact. They should not be contacting her at all at her age. If you don't have a club DOC who acts as an advocate then I would simply contact the coach yourself by telephone, keep calling untill they answer, and explain to them that you do not have a club director at this point in time but their school is your daughter's first choice but since she was at their ID camp you would like an honest assessment whether they are really interested in her or should she look to other programs. If they really want your daughter you will know it, if they beat around the bush the chances are they are not really interested. Or if the school is close enough go into the coaches office and have that conversation directly.
    You are actually suggesting you want the parent to do this? This is contrary to every coach we have dealt with my two older daughters.

Comment

This is really great so I want to know the ground rules for questions. Can we ask about particular coaches or clubs, training methods, tournaments, etc? Will you give us your opinion on all those topics since you are remaining anonymous?

Comment

When you have the time and opportunity to recruit, which avenues do you find most useful? (showcases, ID camps, ECNL, etc...)

Comment

You are actually suggesting you want the parent to do this? This is contrary to every coach we have dealt with my two older daughters.
          Again its very tough to answer without knowing the school. but since you seem to be making the point that it is her #1 absolutely one and only school choice then I think you need to get an answer asap whether they are really interested in her or not. That will be difficult for her to do. I would always suggest the player contacting the coach directly and not the parent, and if you feel that she can do that at her age then surely have her do it, but my main emphasis is that you need to know soon so she can be out there searching out other schools if that school isn't really interested. Its also difficult without a coach or DOC who would normally make the contact. That is very important to have at all clubs especially for the younger player.

Comment

Ok but I'm not sure what you mean by staying in general contact. They should not be contacting her at all at her age. If you don't have a club DOC who acts as an advocate then I would simply contact the coach yourself by telephone, keep calling untill they answer, and explain to them that you do not have a club director at this point in time but their school is your daughter's first choice but since she was at their ID camp you would like an honest assessment whether they are really interested in her or should she look to other programs. If they really want your daughter you will know it, if they beat around the bush the chances are they are not really interested. Or if the school is close enough go into the coaches office and have that conversation directly.
            I don't know if they are bending the rules or not. They contacted her about returning to the camp and she replied with what she has been doing and the conversation progressed from there.

Again, thank you for your advice. Unfortunately, it is in another state so going there is not an option. She will more directly approach them this summer when she is there and will see how it goes.

Comment

This is really great so I want to know the ground rules for questions. Can we ask about particular coaches or clubs, training methods, tournaments, etc? Will you give us your opinion on all those topics since you are remaining anonymous?
              ask away, i will answer all questions that I think are appropriate including my opinion of coaches and clubs. I think that's useful in todays environment.

Comment

When you have the time and opportunity to recruit, which avenues do you find most useful? (showcases, ID camps, ECNL, etc...)
                Easy answer, college showcase tournaments. My own ID camp as well, but that isn't usually to find a player but more to further evaluate a player.

Comment

Good questions so far, thanks for not being stupid! I have another 30 minutes or so available and then I will check back later tonight to answer more questions. I hope this helps.

Comment

What is your take on ODP? There have been a lot of feelings expressed on TS about the good and bad, and many believe it is becoming obsolete with DA and ECNL. Do you see some benefit of kids taking part in this program? (expense aside).

Comment

Is it appropriate to contact coaches attending showcases ahead of time to give them info on your child? Is that standard practice? What age should/school grade should parents be concerned with college recruitment? What if your child plays for a smaller club that doesn't get into the top brackets at showcase tournaments, are they out of luck?

Comment

Youth $ports

Maybe this is more of a statement, but do you think you are losing QUALITY players because the fees, travel, distance from practice, etc? I have a young daughter who I believe excels greatly at her position - trust me, I am not one of "those parents." Although she went to one ID clinic and did very well, we did not go back because of the distance (gas, time)/fees/travel expenses involved (which we still don't fully know despite teams promising to post them).

I believe my daughter will eventually get noticed, but how important is it to get on one of these "elite" teams? I don't hear a lot of people complain about the money, but surely I can't be the only one. I hesitate to even mention it on this site because I will probably be called a loser who needs to get a better job, lol.

Comment

What is your take on ODP? There have been a lot of feelings expressed on TS about the good and bad, and many believe it is becoming obsolete with DA and ECNL. Do you see some benefit of kids taking part in this program? (expense aside).
                          That's a difficult question to answer. I've always been a believer and supporter of ODP but unfortunately its become very watered down with all the new leagues like you've mentioned. Once the talent pool is watered down then I don't believe it carries the same importance that it once did, short answer is that I think if you are selected to the region team it is of definite benefit, state teams or especially pools I don't see much benefit today frankly. All the leagues are too watered down now including ECNL. DA we'll have to wait and see but I suspect they won't have a value for a few years if somehow they can combine their talent pool with ECNL and get rid of the lower tier clubs and teams that ECNL has allowed into the league.

Comment

Is it appropriate to contact coaches attending showcases ahead of time to give them info on your child? Is that standard practice? What age should/school grade should parents be concerned with college recruitment? What if your child plays for a smaller club that doesn't get into the top brackets at showcase tournaments, are they out of luck?
                            Yes it's very appropriate and I strongly suggest it. I have many players contact me before tournaments which allows me to check up on them before the tournament to see whether they might be a good fit for us. If so, it allows me to schedule time at the tournament to evaluate them myself. Depending on the school, the time to start may be as young as HS freshman. Most actual recruitment will be in Jr. And SR year of HS. If you're at a small club it will be difficult, I would honestly find a larger club in your area that goes to the college showcase events if your son/daughter wants to play in college. If you don't switch then you will need to go to as many ID camps that you can, and in that case I would begin by freshman year.

Comment

ask away, i will answer all questions that I think are appropriate including my opinion of coaches and clubs....
                              Sorry, but at this point, unless you are willing to post all of your past and current Florida club affiliations, I can't be convinced that any of your coach and clubs opinions will be frank, honest and unbiased.

Comment

Maybe this is more of a statement, but do you think you are losing QUALITY players because the fees, travel, distance from practice, etc? I have a young daughter who I believe excels greatly at her position - trust me, I am not one of "those parents." Although she went to one ID clinic and did very well, we did not go back because of the distance (gas, time)/fees/travel expenses involved (which we still don't fully know despite teams promising to post them).

I believe my daughter will eventually get noticed, but how important is it to get on one of these "elite" teams? I don't hear a lot of people complain about the money, but surely I can't be the only one. I hesitate to even mention it on this site because I will probably be called a loser who needs to get a better job, lol.
                                Elite teams are fine if they are really elite teams. Frankly there are way too many teams who call themselves elite who aren't. But if they really are and your daughter is that level then they should get good exposure. There are many non-elite teams who travel to very good showcase events that your daughter can get seen at. Don't miss a car payment to play on an elite team. That's unwise and not necessary at all

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X