Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I have yet to see any study that proves this statement. Again, you are confusing correlation with causation. There are many socioeconomic factors that make this statement impossible to prove. All you can say is that "Kids that play organized youth sports tend to also have better grades." A correlation. assuming this itself is true. You cannot state "Because they play youth sports, kids get better grades." Capisci?
    Yes they are correlated. I never implied that it was causation. But causation is not the point.

The same could be said for many extracurricular activities.

If you are in band or chess club the same correlation would likely apply.

The causes for better grades are many.

Comment

1) Don't blink. it will be over before you know it
      2) don't stress about winning a u-9 6v6 game, it doesn't matter just appreciate it.
      3) the grass is rarely greener, stay where you are and build that team unless it is destroying your kids will to play a game they love
      4) be careful about adding a "superstar" from another club. more often than not, they are joining you because their old team was sick of them. they will destroy your team.
      5) Coaches want the best for the kids for the most part. They are not all equal, but they most of the times, not the reason you win or lose
      6) Appreciate a good team manager. It's the worst job in the world and unless you have done it, you have no idea how much work is involved.
      7)Understand every ref stinks. They are human and make mistakes. A lot of mistakes!!!
      8)If you can come to grips with the fact that your kid is 99.9% not going to be a pro, your priorities will be in order.
      9) Don't let soccer take away from academics. There is way more money available for good students, than good soccer players.
      10) Love your kids and let them enjoy the game. They only have one childhood don't ruin it.
      After having 2 kids play for 10 plus years I can also add;

Friendships made on the team ended up being considerably more important than the team ranking. The higher the teams ranking, usually meant lower team cohesiveness.

Some coaches should not be anywhere near kids sports. Have the bravery to go to directors. Your kid will respect you for standing up to the bully coach. Play time is NOT worth years of therapy later.

Politics is almost always involved. Have played for several clubs in Central Florida. Not one showed integrity when it came to roster spots, development of lower teams and the insistence of knowledgable and respectful coaches. Standing up for what is right almost always marks you as trouble and your kid will pay. Coaches keep lists. Ask anyway. It will never change if parents do not band together and demand change.

While my kids learned a great team sport and made some lasting friendships, I leave the sport with mostly disdain if not disgust for how the clubs are run.

It will not be a smooth ride unless you have one of the 2%.

Very sad.

Comment

Well it sounds as if you or someone you trusted overrated how good your child was and placed him on too high of a team. Competing at high levels is great for development and will push competitive kids to new heights. Obviously if your kid gets dominated he wasn't properly evaluated. That will retard development and drive a child to want to stop playing a sport.

But for the vast majority, push and challenge players. It will pay off.
        Great idea, but how many times will you hear your kid is on the bubble and just not good enough.... mostly meaning I want your kid to carry the lower team and pay for it.

Comment

Great idea, but how many times will you hear your kid is on the bubble and just not good enough.... mostly meaning I want your kid to carry the lower team and pay for it.
          Bubble of what? What are you competing for? King of CDL, congrats you are the tallest tree in the burned out forest.

Comment

I believe that of all possible determinative factors for properly determining the time a child is ready for high level competitive sports age is the best. Imperfect, but the best.

Serious/ very-serious competition means practicing 4 times a week, travelling within the state, nationally and internationally in order to play in high level tournaments. Private training when necessary. In short, deciding that it is worth the investment of time and money to become an aspiring soccer player at the college or professional level. I believe that no kid should make this determination until they are at minimum u13. You may find a few exceptions. Life is not mathematics. BUt, on average, I do not believe in "soccer is my life" until kids are 12+ years old, minimum. I believe this is consistent with how other countries scout and treat soccer players.

I would also argue based on this that starting DA at u12 is absurd. It should start at u14. The only reason to really start at u12 is to make money.
            All studies on skill development, as well as the most recent long-term athlete development models argue that chronological age is the least important determining factor of when athletes should go to the next developmental stage. The actual development level, in soccer the technical, physical, tactical and psycho-social development level, should determine when a player is ready for the next stage.

You say a lot of good things, but there is really no definition of what serious competition is, but it really has nothing to do with the level of the competition. Two five-year-old kids can play next to each other very seriously, indeed.

I agree, that lowering the age of selection is the worst possible way to go is we want to increase the level of play and develop top players.

Comment

I have yet to see any study that proves this statement. Again, you are confusing correlation with causation. There are many socioeconomic factors that make this statement impossible to prove. All you can say is that "Kids that play organized youth sports tend to also have better grades." A correlation. assuming this itself is true. You cannot state "Because they play youth sports, kids get better grades." Capisci?
              Although there are arguments against it, plenty of studies have found many beneficial effects of sports participation including positive effects on grades.

Fejgin, N. (2001). Participation in high school competitive sports: A subversion of school mission or contribution to academic goals. Contemporary issues in sociology of sport, 95-108.

Marsh, H. W. (1993). The effects of participation in sport during the last two years of high school. Sociology of Sport Journal, 10(1).

Feldman, A. F., & Matjasko, J. L. (2005). The role of school-based extracurricular activities in adolescent development: A comprehensive review and future directions. Review of educational research, 75(2), 159-210.

Comment

I agree on the too many games. 4 games in a weekend? What/who does that benefit and the travel time could be used for touches on the ball instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Just a Coach View Post
                  I agree, that lowering the age of selection is the worst possible way to go is we want to increase the level of play and develop top players.
                  Yet the general consensus is the earlier they are trained properly the better. With so many bad coaches out there kids come into DA at U14 or older with years lost of skill development and bad habits already formed. If we had a nation full of good coaches and clubs without their own agendas I would agree with you. But we don't. DA isn't perfect (I have many complaints beleive me) but it is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole

Comment

Reflecting back 10 years and two kids through competitive soccer. First one had offers, but chose to attend school of choice on academic scholarship. Great competitive teams through out, smaller club, absolutely no regrets. Younger one still playing but coming up to graduation. Moved to a large club as being recruited from a much younger age and thought exposure would be better. Unfortunately had a bad experience with a terrible coach. Biggest regret is moving to the bigger club, as bigger is not always better. What amazes me through the years are those parents that are all consumed with their kids playing soccer in college, and the looks on their faces when you tell them your child does not know if they want to play college ball. Apparently, the mentality is that nothing can be for fun anymore. Realistically, 50% of the teammates that went on to play college ball have already left those colleges. Parents need to wake up and pick the college first, soccer is second. The degree will pay their future bills.

now wait for the responses.

Comment

Reflecting back 10 years and two kids through competitive soccer. First one had offers, but chose to attend school of choice on academic scholarship. Great competitive teams through out, smaller club, absolutely no regrets. Younger one still playing but coming up to graduation. Moved to a large club as being recruited from a much younger age and thought exposure would be better. Unfortunately had a bad experience with a terrible coach. Biggest regret is moving to the bigger club, as bigger is not always better. What amazes me through the years are those parents that are all consumed with their kids playing soccer in college, and the looks on their faces when you tell them your child does not know if they want to play college ball. Apparently, the mentality is that nothing can be for fun anymore. Realistically, 50% of the teammates that went on to play college ball have already left those colleges. Parents need to wake up and pick the college first, soccer is second. The degree will pay their future bills.

Plenty of people know this but they usually have learned the lesson too late (and of course they won't admit it either). So.much time and energy is wasted worrying about things that don't matter. I'm a big believer that things happen for a reason. Give your kids good decision making tools and let them forge their own path.

Comment

Yet the general consensus is the earlier they are trained properly the better. With so many bad coaches out there kids come into DA at U14 or older with years lost of skill development and bad habits already formed. If we had a nation full of good coaches and clubs without their own agendas I would agree with you. But we don't. DA isn't perfect (I have many complaints beleive me) but it is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole
                        There is no such consensus! As a matter of fact, the technically best players come from countries where street soccer is alive and well, youth coaches are trained to intervene as little as possible and adult-like coaching starts at a much older age. Furthermore, as you said, even in the Development Academy not all the coaches are good enough to be around those kids. The solution? Coaching education - not training - education! Early selection effectively reduces the talent pool by more than 99%.

Comment

jeeeez.

This thread is quickly deteriorating into stupidity. What made the OP brilliant was the "common sense" points. Now people are just adding points that actually make the OP's points that much more important.

The OP wasn't based on opinion so much. But rather logical suggestions based on experience.

Points 11 - 13 are just garbage opinions (right or wrong; it doesn't matter).
                          Points 11-13 were very good. And the point of playing High School Soccer for the memories and enjoyment fit in perfect with OP.

Comment

Points 11-13 were very good. And the point of playing High School Soccer for the memories and enjoyment fit in perfect with OP.
                            They were only good points if you are having a debate and you are on that side of the argument.

But the original post was intended just to give some advice. There were some opinions, but most items on the list were free of bias; for example, for/against HS soccer.

Comment

YES YES YES!

Parents have gotten so competitive and do not even see that their child just wants to get a degree in college. Larger clubs are laughing all the way to the bank. Play for the fun of it. To learn how to be on a team. For lasting friendships. As you said, most kids who play in college do not end up playing the full 4 years. MOST. What does that tell you?

Comment

YES YES YES!

Parents have gotten so competitive and do not even see that their child just wants to get a degree in college. Larger clubs are laughing all the way to the bank. Play for the fun of it. To learn how to be on a team. For lasting friendships. As you said, most kids who play in college do not end up playing the full 4 years. MOST. What does that tell you?
                                yes, the garbage phrase is development. I guess after U18 you are fully developed and get a certificate from your club that is worth approx. $20,000. congrats and good luck

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X