Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best club for average player?

Got 11 yr old boy. He's never gonna be a top player so don't care about a club's top teams or connections to some pro team or anything. He's just tired of going to town practice and having 3 kids show up so wants to be on a team that is taken a little more seriously for a better experience. I know we missed tryouts but which clubs do a better job of catering to these middle of the road type players if we were to reach out to see if there's a spot available for him? We're south of boston. Choices that I know of within driving distance for us seem to be... fcusa, galway rovers, gps, fc boston, south shore select, liverpool, mass city, america fc, synergy.

So any real recommendations and why?

GPS for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Got 11 yr old boy. He's never gonna be a top player so don't care about a club's top teams or connections to some pro team or anything. He's just tired of going to town practice and having 3 kids show up so wants to be on a team that is taken a little more seriously for a better experience. I know we missed tryouts but which clubs do a better job of catering to these middle of the road type players if we were to reach out to see if there's a spot available for him? We're south of boston. Choices that I know of within driving distance for us seem to be... fcusa, galway rovers, gps, fc boston, south shore select, liverpool, mass city, america fc, synergy.

So any real recommendations and why?
      We have friends with boys who play for FC Boston. They are happy.

Comment

GPS for sure
        Knew that was coming. Almost a lay-up for GPeniSnvy.

But, back on point, where do you live? Are costs a consideration?

Comment

Ask around in your area, especially any families that have somewhat older players that have played in your neck of the woods. Personal experience is always a better guide than agenda-filled TS. Also, just because they've had tryouts not all teams have full rosters. You might have to wait until late August to tryout but it can work out. Once you have some clubs make phone calls. Finally during the summer most clubs have summer camps - it's a great way to try out a club and learn without any real risk.

Comment

America FC is a good place to test the waters. It is not going to break the bank (it won't even crack the piggy bank) and it will give you a sense of what club soccer involves, albeit in a fairly limited scope since better players tend to move on. Synergy/GPS might provide more options down the road, but not sure if the merger generated pricing surprises. If I was in Hanover I'd look into FCUSA and Mass City because they seem to be at the U a lot in the winter. Trying to find a club in the summer is a little dicey--no games or practices to observe. If a club is having a camp, the kids (and coaches) attending may not actually be on the team.

Comment

Agreed on America FC or Mass city.
              GPS is a money trap. Stay away from the
              large clubs where they need to pay large salaries.

Comment

Agreed on America FC or Mass city.
                GPS is a money trap. Stay away from the
                large clubs where they need to pay large salaries.
                and #GPSEnvy couldn't resist.
                ONE person has an agenda to save the world from her bad experience. She is certainly free to share their experience, as I am to share mine.
                We have had a great experience with GPS. Left local club at GU12, just committed next year for u16. 3 years in, D has progressed both as a player and up through their system.

GPS does cost more than the local club, but not more than any other top club.
                The pros/cons are pretty obvious. Local club is financially accessible and geographically convenient. GPS is better organized, offers upward mobility, and a variety of options for further development. At u11 many experiences could be good for your son, expose him to some options and the choice that is best for him/you should become obvious.

I agree with others re: timing. No need to rush, wait till August. Maybe sign up for a camp and/or reach out to the coaches re: roster availability and ask to join a practice when they start up. ANY club is happy to cash your check.

Comment

This will be my D's 5th year with GPS and she has steadily improved every year. And by that I mean when comparing her to girls in her town that used to be better than her and play for other clubs....she has come further. There have also been kids in her club that were 'average' and now being recruited at higher levels where more travel is involved. There are other clubs around that are good as well, we are just happy where we are. If being a superstar is not your main goal then have your kid attend practices with some of the clubs in your area and let him tell you where he is most comfortable.

Comment

and #GPSEnvy couldn't resist.
                    ONE person has an agenda to save the world from her bad experience. She is certainly free to share their experience, as I am to share mine.
                    We have had a great experience with GPS. Left local club at GU12, just committed next year for u16. 3 years in, D has progressed both as a player and up through their system.

GPS does cost more than the local club, but not more than any other top club.
                    The pros/cons are pretty obvious. Local club is financially accessible and geographically convenient. GPS is better organized, offers upward mobility, and a variety of options for further development. At u11 many experiences could be good for your son, expose him to some options and the choice that is best for him/you should become obvious.

I agree with others re: timing. No need to rush, wait till August. Maybe sign up for a camp and/or reach out to the coaches re: roster availability and ask to join a practice when they start up. ANY club is happy to cash your check.
                    How much does GPS cost?

Comment

How much does GPS cost?
                      A spare bedroom for a visiting coach plus your next born child. If you are beyond child bearing age, the requirement will pass to your enrolled child.

Comment

A spare bedroom for a visiting coach plus your next born child. If you are beyond child bearing age, the requirement will pass to your enrolled child.
                        GPS costs similar to the other big clubs...around 2k

Smaller clubs are less expensive if cost is an issue. If you go with a smaller club make sure you are comfortable with the coach. You can get real lucky and get a fantastic coach or you can get someone that is horrible. One of our local clubs has one or two very good coaches and the rest are crap.

Comment

How much does GPS cost?
                          Depends on your location, which team you make. Best to contact them directly vs. reading agendas here.

Comment

How much does GPS cost?
                            Out here in CMass, they are the most expensive.

Comment

There is also Commonwealth FC based out of Braintree if you're in that area of the south shore.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X