Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Interesting but your post was 2014. Don't you think it is more like four recruiting classes (with a handful of red shirts) on rosters and Florida colleges are trying to recruit more Florida players these days as now Florida clubs are playing in higher leagues.
    Because of red shirts it's more like five recruiting classes on rosters. Think about it.

Comment

Interesting but your post was 2014. Don't you think it is more like four recruiting classes (with a handful of red shirts) on rosters and Florida colleges are trying to recruit more Florida players these days as now Florida clubs are playing in higher leagues.
      Current Rosters for Floridians. Suppose you can test the above formula.

FSU 4
      UF 16
      UCF 13
      USF 15
      UM 5
      FAU 14
      FIU 4
      JU 4
      FGCU 10

Comment

FSU 4
        UF 16
        UCF 13
        USF 15
        UM 5
        FAU 14
        FIU 4
        JU 4
        FGCU 10
        Thank you for doing the leg work! So it depends on the Florida college and some recruit more Florida players on average than others!

Comment

Thank you for doing the leg work! So it depends on the Florida college and some recruit more Florida players on average than others!
          No worries, wasn't hard to check. FSU had a bad year last year but their roster typically carries a bunch of international players but I was surprised by UF having so many floridians.

Typically, the higher up you go in the NCAA rankings, the rosters get a lot more diverse. You see a lot of Internationals who play on their country's national teams which kinda rubs me the wrong way but I totally get why.

Went to a UCF ID camp not long ago and there were girls from Colombia, France and Germany Scary good players.

Comment

No worries, wasn't hard to check. FSU had a bad year last year but their roster typically carries a bunch of international players but I was surprised by UF having so many floridians.

Typically, the higher up you go in the NCAA rankings, the rosters get a lot more diverse. You see a lot of Internationals who play on their country's national teams which kinda rubs me the wrong way but I totally get why.

Went to a UCF ID camp not long ago and there were girls from Colombia, France and Germany Scary good players.
            UF is finding gems in Florida!

Comment

It might be better to tabulate % of total roster too. Some carry larger rosters.

Comment

Someone made a comment earlier about the reason the soccer player transfer rate is so high is because the player committed too early and the fit was not right. I disagree somewhat. Not all the players recruited get to be starters but they all can still have an essential role on the team. Players have to be prepared to not always start and all the other adversities that will occur. It is too easy for players to transfer because they aren't getting play time , aren't winning, having conflict with teammates and coaches , having trouble academically, miss home or whatever. I think even juniors and seniors who commit can have the same issues as an early recruit. I think early recruits these days are doing their reseach and know what is good for them soccer wise. Recruits can't always get their first or even tenth choice of where they want to play.

Comment

Someone made a comment earlier about the reason the soccer player transfer rate is so high is because the player committed too early and the fit was not right. I disagree somewhat. Not all the players recruited get to be starters but they all can still have an essential role on the team. Players have to be prepared to not always start and all the other adversities that will occur. It is too easy for players to transfer because they aren't getting play time , aren't winning, having conflict with teammates and coaches , having trouble academically, miss home or whatever. I think even juniors and seniors who commit can have the same issues as an early recruit. I think early recruits these days are doing their reseach and know what is good for them soccer wise. Recruits can't always get their first or even tenth choice of where they want to play.
                  There may be some degree of that - kids who are used to being studs on their teams and getting tons of PT suddenly aren't any longer. That isn't always easy to handle, along with adjusting to college, class demands etc. Transferring is also on the rise with overall student populations. So there may be bigger picture things going on outside of sports.

However I also believe that on the girls side the early push to commit plays a partial role as well. While most of the their non athletic friends have barely started to think about college, these girls are expected to almost be finished. The more time you have to mature some more, figure out what you like, plus have a longer to read academic performance, the better the odds of finding a good fit.

Comment

There may be some degree of that - kids who are used to being studs on their teams and getting tons of PT suddenly aren't any longer. That isn't always easy to handle, along with adjusting to college, class demands etc. Transferring is also on the rise with overall student populations. So there may be bigger picture things going on outside of sports.

However I also believe that on the girls side the early push to commit plays a partial role as well. While most of the their non athletic friends have barely started to think about college, these girls are expected to almost be finished. The more time you have to mature some more, figure out what you like, plus have a longer to read academic performance, the better the odds of finding a good fit.
                    Talented D1 potential soccer players have been playing soccer since they were four. This is what they love, watch soccer games, look at college teams and if they could play there. like an equestrian rider would look for a college with that. Contrary to what people think most students are looking at colleges early. They apply beginning of senior year so research is done by end of junior year. Ask any freshman not just a soccer player student and they can rattle off their top college choices and know if they are a good academic fit. I think it is the soccer that throws off their choices. Most can't play at their top choices for obvious reasons and have to keep a huge net of choices and hope some pan out.

Comment

Colleges don't make it any easier. A teammate of my daughter committed mid sophomore year. The coach told her family the offer would not be there in part or in full if she waited. All commitments are verbal until signing but all her stuff now says committed to Univ of ********. Seems rather one sided.

Comment

Colleges don't make it any easier. A teammate of my daughter committed mid sophomore year. The coach told her family the offer would not be there in part or in full if she waited. All commitments are verbal until signing but all her stuff now says committed to Univ of ********. Seems rather one sided.
                        College coaches know when college players will graduate and how much scholarship money will be freed up and then available to offer to the next incoming classes. Colleges also need to fill certain positions to balance out the team and give it depth. Colleges will not offer unless they see a player who fits their program. They know the players academic and soccer profile. It is only fair to expect a firm commitment from the player or they will need to move on to the other prospects.

Comment

College coaches know when college players will graduate and how much scholarship money will be freed up and then available to offer to the next incoming classes. Colleges also need to fill certain positions to balance out the team and give it depth. Colleges will not offer unless they see a player who fits their program. They know the players academic and soccer profile. It is only fair to expect a firm commitment from the player or they will need to move on to the other prospects.
                          A firm commitment is strong choice of words. Offers can be rescinded. Doesn't happen often but it happens.

Comment

Until a NLI is signed Feb 1of your senior year all offers are verbal. Both sides can walk away. Coaches try not to do it because it can impact their future recruiting if they develop a reputation. However they have reasons to do so - player hasn't developed as hoped, player hasn't worked hard to develop, grades weren't maintained, information came to light (ex social media embarrassment, suspended from high school team for drinking). Players can change their minds as well, and given how early some are recruited it isn't surprising.

Comment

Coaches need to know if you're in or out. They need to plan rosters and dollars. They have other players on the list who will jump at a chance to be on the team. If you reach an agreement you are expected to take yourself off the market. It isn't an unreasonable request. Coaches can rescind offers but it's rare and it's rarely without good reason

Comment

FSU 4
                                UF 16
                                UCF 13
                                USF 15
                                UM 5
                                FAU 14
                                FIU 4
                                JU 4
                                FGCU 10
                                Like I posted about 2014. Total the numbers here and divide by 9 (#of teams),then divide by 5 (#of recruiting classes) and DI FLA colleges recruit an average of 1.8 FLA players per class. We left out North Florida, Stetson, and FAU. Which probably include a large number of FLA players.

2017 rosters should be posted in a few weeks. The season starts in AUG.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X