Ecnl semis/finals video

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP here. Boys at lest have some incentive - a real pro endgame. Im not sure the girls do in the numbers needed to change the dynamic.

I love soccer. Its a great game, but on the Girls side we dont do it justice. We win at Intl level becasue we have enough people in the system to eventually out last the RoW financially.

Look at our youth teams on the girls side. How do we lose at U17 lvl to Ghana in the WC? Not just lose, but out shot and out played? We must outspend them by a factor of 100.

yet these same kids who cant outplay Ghana at u-17 lvl will get scholarships and pro contracts in the NWSL later on. Why? because they stick around in the sport longer, not becasue they necessarily have more talent.

Ultimately , Girls soccer at this level is a means to an end, not a passion. As long as people are getting what they want ( College) the standards will not change much

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      OP here. Boys at lest have some incentive - a real pro endgame. Im not sure the girls do in the numbers needed to change the dynamic.

I love soccer. Its a great game, but on the Girls side we dont do it justice. We win at Intl level becasue we have enough people in the system to eventually out last the RoW financially.

Look at our youth teams on the girls side. How do we lose at U17 lvl to Ghana in the WC? Not just lose, but out shot and out played? We must outspend them by a factor of 100.

yet these same kids who cant outplay Ghana at u-17 lvl will get scholarships and pro contracts in the NWSL later on. Why? because they stick around in the sport longer, not becasue they necessarily have more talent.

Ultimately , Girls soccer at this level is a means to an end, not a passion. As long as people are getting what they want ( College) the standards will not change much
      It isn't about resources or number of athletes, it's what you do with it. On the men's side there are many much smaller countries with fewer resources that outperform the US consistently.

also, despite the pro path on the boys side, most know that their odds are extremely slim. Just like on the girls side many are in it simply to play at the best level they can and improve their odds of playing in college. In other words DA is a means to an end as well

Comment

It isn't about resources or number of athletes, it's what you do with it. On the men's side there are many much smaller countries with fewer resources that outperform the US consistently.

also, despite the pro path on the boys side, most know that their odds are extremely slim. Just like on the girls side many are in it simply to play at the best level they can and improve their odds of playing in college. In other words DA is a means to an end as well
        out of interest , what do you think these countries are "doing" resource wise? Give me a country that outperforms the US consistently and then tell us why you think that is?
        Your comment on boys misses the point . The pro track odds are irrelevant it creates opportunities for excellence globally. It forces the bar to be raised as it is a global mkt.
        Who or what is raising that bar on the Girls side? What is their motivation?

Comment

out of interest , what do you think these countries are "doing" resource wise? Give me a country that outperforms the US consistently and then tell us why you think that is?
          Your comment on boys misses the point . The pro track odds are irrelevant it creates opportunities for excellence globally. It forces the bar to be raised as it is a global mkt.
          Coaching and leadership. Sure having big$ to put behind is great, but it isn't always necessary to succeed. Soccer culture is also very different here vs other countries.
          that we can't change over night, if ever, because of the popularity of other sports.

USSF thinks they can raise the bar on the women's side simply be imposing the same BDA system onto the girls. Their motivation is to stay ahead of the other countries who are closing the gap on us.

- not the op

Comment

I thought the reason for creating dap on the girls side was to take the politics out of it and focus more on development, the women's side has been successful but it seems the other countries are catching up and Jill Ellis is trying to bring the top younger players closer to the national teams and coaches

Comment

I thought the reason for creating dap on the girls side was to take the politics out of it and focus more on development, the women's side has been successful but it seems the other countries are catching up and Jill Ellis is trying to bring the top younger players closer to the national teams and coaches
              This is a very misleading statement out of context. The US have been successful, but the RoW really had no cares up until recently.

The countries with actual soccer culture have already caught the US inspite of the massive financial advantages the US has.

Take politics out of it, or take local politics out of it? have you seen how many players from Colorado are on these youth teams. Or the west coast in general ?

Comment

Please google Iceland's youth soccer program and everything that they did from requiring youth coaches at the earliest ages hold advanced licenses to building indoor facilities for year round play. A country of 334,000 beat England, a country of 65 million in the Euro 2016. We are a country of 326 million. The genetics and the talent are here. The coaching and the development, especially as kids enter high school and college is where we fail, miserably.

Comment

Coaching and leadership. Sure having big$ to put behind is great, but it isn't always necessary to succeed. Soccer culture is also very different here vs other countries.
                  that we can't change over night, if ever, because of the popularity of other sports.

USSF thinks they can raise the bar on the women's side simply be imposing the same BDA system onto the girls. Their motivation is to stay ahead of the other countries who are closing the gap on us.

- not the op
                  so you are saying that there is no need for long training camps and such ? are you saying flying youth teams all over the world is a waste of money? What sort of training camp do you think Ghana had at u17 ? Are we saying the Ghanaian coaching was far superior?

The DA system is not the same. It cant be without the same end game. the pro Clubs in the GDA gain no benefit from developing the players. they dont own them . no Homegrown provision . so who benefits?

Maybe the pro teams out of a long term view believe they create customers. Or some business man (Cedar Stars) doe sit a s a hobby, but the USSF are NOT paying and yet they state themselves via the NT as the potential beneficiary.

Popularity where? among girls ? What sport is more popular among girls?

Any system in which is not really driven by the real benefit a the end tends towards a bubble. Colleges HAVE to add players on a relative basis The cant say , no one is good enough so we will pass. Given thats the objective for many, there is plenty of value in just staying in the pack as opposed to truly trying to excel.

Im not sure what changes it.

Comment

Please google Iceland's youth soccer program and everything that they did from requiring youth coaches at the earliest ages hold advanced licenses to building indoor facilities for year round play. A country of 334,000 beat England, a country of 65 million in the Euro 2016. We are a country of 326 million. The genetics and the talent are here. The coaching and the development, especially as kids enter high school and college is where we fail, miserably.
                    The US team is ranked 23rd in the world right now (FIFA rankings). Our population 323M and a GDP per capita of $56,115. Ahead of us are countries like - and this just a partial list to illustrate, not all

#4 Chile 17.26M; $13,416
                    #10 Poland 38.63M; $12,554
                    #18 Croatia $4.22M; $11,536
                    #21 Slovakia 5.4M; $16,088

Comment

Im talking about GIRLS, not BOYS. The mens game is global underpinned by REAL money.

Comment

so you are saying that there is no need for long training camps and such ? are you saying flying youth teams all over the world is a waste of money? What sort of training camp do you think Ghana had at u17 ? Are we saying the Ghanaian coaching was far superior?

The DA system is not the same. It cant be without the same end game. the pro Clubs in the GDA gain no benefit from developing the players. they dont own them . no Homegrown provision . so who benefits?

Maybe the pro teams out of a long term view believe they create customers. Or some business man (Cedar Stars) doe sit a s a hobby, but the USSF are NOT paying and yet they state themselves via the NT as the potential beneficiary.

Popularity where? among girls ? What sport is more popular among girls?

Any system in which is not really driven by the real benefit a the end tends towards a bubble. Colleges HAVE to add players on a relative basis The cant say , no one is good enough so we will pass. Given thats the objective for many, there is plenty of value in just staying in the pack as opposed to truly trying to excel.

Im not sure what changes it.
                        I'm not sure what your point was

Comment

I'm not sure what your point was
                          what is the driver that is going to make the GDA any better than the ECNL ? This thread seemed to be about why the quality of the CL games appears to be so low. hence the debate.

Comment

Im talking about GIRLS, not BOYS. The mens game is global underpinned by REAL money.
                            Why do you think there is a difference developmentally? Sure there is more money behind the men's teams, but globally that is driving the women's teams and development as well. You think it is a lark that Alex Morgan, Crystal Dunn and Carly Loyd all went to play for Europen teams? That Lindsey Horan and Cristen Press both played in Europe before making it big in the US? The US had college and title 9 as an advantage for women's soccer development for years. That advantage is now gone as foreign professional clubs and countries put more resources towards women's development and leagues.

Heck, Alex Morgan said it herself about her move that she needed to be exposed to different types of soccer over there. In the US, it was all about the direct attack and the long ball over the top. In Europe, you have more possession and build up soccer. The best teams and players can and will play both as the opportunity presents itself. Our advantage in athleticism and early development is gone. So what's next?

Comment

Can't believe I watched the video...but I did. Not much possession by any team, some good individual skill though. Apparently corner kick defense is not a focus and the goalies looked subpar. Not sure what we expect from u14 but, although i didn't walk away super impressed, I wasn't completely disappointed either. Kind of met expectations

on the other hand u18 didn't look great, I had hoped to see a different game after watching the 14s but what I got was an older version of the younger kids.

Comment

Can't believe I watched the video...but I did. Not much possession by any team, some good individual skill though. Apparently corner kick defense is not a focus and the goalies looked subpar. Not sure what we expect from u14 but, although i didn't walk away super impressed, I wasn't completely disappointed either. Kind of met expectations

on the other hand u18 didn't look great, I had hoped to see a different game after watching the 14s but what I got was an older version of the younger kids.
                                Same coaches coach U14-U18. Why do you think you would actually see any difference in play? Kids can be taught from a early age to build from the back and play more possession-based soccer. It isn't age, it's whether the players can handle the speed of play and have the technical skill and first touch to maintain possession and the tactical coaching to stress it during training and games. It isn't magic.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X