Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ecnl semis/finals video

Light Monday at the office and got a chance to look at some of these games today thinking GDA simply cannot come soon enough!!! Awful awful awful

I assume you mean the quality of play? if so can you elaborate of what you found so awful ?

Comment

For the most part it's ugly. But here are some things I see-

The touch on the ball is Horendus.
      The back and forth no possession is unwatchable
      The selfish forwards take the cake
      The punts only from GK's is 6'th grade level soccer
      The midfield is non existing and I witnessed one or two decent serves

In general The soccer in this country needed a huge shake up and I for one pray this DA thing takes off and the girls start focus on real possession style beautiful game because the ecnl is not. Athletics over everything at ecnl clubs is showing clearly in these playoffs.

Comment

It's not the league that is the problem.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

In general The soccer in this country needed a huge shake up and I for one pray this DA thing takes off and the girls start focus on real possession style beautiful game because the ecnl is not. Athletics over everything at ecnl clubs is showing clearly in these playoffs.

Comment

Is there a link to the video?

Comment

isn't that soccer in the USA in general, whether girls or boys?

Comment

Maybe the problem is there is no desperation. These kids have options beyond soccer. Some players on the world stage know it's soccer or nothing for them.

Comment

This is a great topic for discussion. I agree that the quality is sorely lacking. have said so for years, but you get hammered.

In general i agree with your summary. people will say these are high stakes games, but it just shows what the players and coaches refer to. I follow the ECNL on twitter so I see the little clips they send of goals. I dont think ive seen a good one from open play yet.

The game seems to be all about goal keeping errors, and who is the bravest under the long ball.

For the overall $$ being spent its pretty shocking to watch

There are some talented players buried in there, but its far fewer than there should be

I dont buy the athlete argument though. There are nonathletic kids playing bad soccer as well.

If given a choice between athletic or nonathletic kids playing bad soccer , you take the former ! the issue is why is it so bad?

Comment

Clearly you haven't watched much boys DA soccer. Once in awhile you'll get a great game and nice soccer and some of the MLS clubs are top notch. But DA wont' save girls soccer. To stay the world leader we need better leadership at the top + better coaching

Comment

Maybe the problem is there is no desperation. These kids have options beyond soccer. Some players on the world stage know it's soccer or nothing for them.
                    There's something to be said for that. DA is filled with middle to upper income kids for whom college is the goal, not professional soccer

Comment

Light Monday at the office and got a chance to look at some of these games today thinking GDA simply cannot come soon enough!!! Awful awful awful

Well clearly you have never seen an academy game then? Its going to be the same no matter what the name of the league is!

Comment

Well clearly you have never seen an academy game then? Its going to be the same no matter what the name of the league is!
                        Someone else posted similar. Its only going to get worse because now there's more dilution than ever. Far fewer girls playing for free as well. Girls soccer will stay a middle to upper income sport and won't have all the best players.

Comment

Talking soccer

This is a great topic for discussion. I agree that the quality is sorely lacking. have said so for years, but you get hammered.

In general i agree with your summary. people will say these are high stakes games, but it just shows what the players and coaches refer to. I follow the ECNL on twitter so I see the little clips they send of goals. I dont think ive seen a good one from open play yet.

The game seems to be all about goal keeping errors, and who is the bravest under the long ball.

For the overall $$ being spent its pretty shocking to watch

There are some talented players buried in there, but its far fewer than there should be

I dont buy the athlete argument though. There are nonathletic kids playing bad soccer as well.

If given a choice between athletic or nonathletic kids playing bad soccer , you take the former ! the issue is why is it so bad?
                          Because soccer is increasingly an upper middle - higher class sport you have top league teams filled with kids who can play soccer with many of them lacking athleticism. The ones with athleticism go much further than the ones that don't. But you'll find high level teams filled with kids who have only been playing soccer for most their youth.

Comment

Clearly you haven't watched much boys DA soccer. Once in awhile you'll get a great game and nice soccer and some of the MLS clubs are top notch. But DA wont' save girls soccer. To stay the world leader we need better leadership at the top + better coaching
                            This.

I struggle with the OPs logic of "ECNL is bad. Can't wait for DA to fix it."

How's DA going to fix it?

Comment

This.

I struggle with the OPs logic of "ECNL is bad. Can't wait for DA to fix it."

How's DA going to fix it?
                              OP here. I used the word "pray" if you please reread my comment about DA going in a different route in terms of development. I read my Daughters contract for da and it clearly stipulates that the games/friendly practices etc will be observed by US coaches so therefore I PRAY a change or shift as small is it maybe for the better & the good of girls soccer maybe upon us.

Ecnl = win at all cost is what I meant. Let's watch a few tomorrow and comment back. Let's please keep this conversation civil.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X