Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what colleges are showing significant interest in your kid?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Just because they watch your player doesn't mean she'll land a spot. Take a look at the academic requirements for Ivies. Like they say - they hardest part about Harvard is getting in. If your income is low enough she could qualify for a virtual free ride and subsequent golden ticket. But that's also why the competition is so fierce to get in. At D3s and Ivies you get in based on your academics, not sports. Good thing coaches can help you get a pre-read with the admissions office to make sure you should get in.
    However if she's in that upper academic echelon she'll still have loads of other good opportunities at high quality academic schools with fantastically large endowments. Combined with some financial aid (again depends on income) she could attend a high quality school for not a lot of money. The dividends of graduating with a "name" school will be long lasting for jobs, internships, grad school etc. But so is graduating from a good school with zero debt. There's so many things to consider. The trick is finding which ones to target so that the school wants you.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/troyoni.../#343d563c1373

https://www.forbes.com/sites/troyoni.../#4fdbf9d84e28

good luck - not the op
    Thanks, but not sure why you put so much energy into explaining something so poorly. You can't lump D3's and Ivies into the same category. I'm not going to take the time to explain it to you, but anyone with a kid in that position should do their own homework. It's academic anyway, how many kids realistically play soccer at either D3 or Ivy from Florida each year? 1 or 2 maybe? I hope they're not looking for advice on TS.

Comment

Thanks, but not sure why you put so much energy into explaining something so poorly. You can't lump D3's and Ivies into the same category. I'm not going to take the time to explain it to you, but anyone with a kid in that position should do their own homework. It's academic anyway, how many kids realistically play soccer at either D3 or Ivy from Florida each year? 1 or 2 maybe? I hope they're not looking for advice on TS.

not the poster but they are similar in that 1) neither D3 or Ivy schools have athletic money, 2) the focus is on academics, and 3) the coach rarely has any ability to get you in if your grades and scores aren't up to par with the admissions office. Not many kids around here go to D3 (or Ivy) schools because most of the better ones are far from here and many kids don't want to have to fly to college.

Comment

not the poster but they are similar in that 1) neither D3 or Ivy schools have athletic money, 2) the focus is on academics, and 3) the coach rarely has any ability to get you in if your grades and scores aren't up to par with the admissions office. Not many kids around here go to D3 (or Ivy) schools because most of the better ones are far from here and many kids don't want to have to fly to college.
        forgot #4 - the soccer is generally not very good for the Ivy league schools and most Ds programs out side of the top 15-20%.

Comment

Ivy Coaches can commit players to admit, D3 cannot. Ivy tuition and fees are 100% need-based (no athletic or academic money), students graduate debt-free. D3 schools have some financial aid, but limited and includes loans. "many kids don't want to have to fly to college"? Seriously? Florida kids are committing to D1 schools all over the country. You think flying is stopping anyone from attending an Ivy League school? C'mon man.

Comment

forgot #4 - the soccer is generally not very good for the Ivy league schools and most Ds programs out side of the top 15-20%.
            Easy enough to find out. Just look on the roster of those teams.

Ivy League

Princeton 1
            Brown 1
            Columbia 2 - 2 form GA as well:-)
            Cornell 0
            Dartmouth 0
            Harvard 0 - 1 from GA
            Univ of Penn 0
            Yale 4

California has the most out of state players on these roster by far..

D3 schools of consequence

MIT 0
            John Hopkins 1
            Carnegie Mellon 1
            WPI 0
            Washington & Lee 1
            NYU 4
            Chicago 2

A few others I am sure I left out but an interesting study subject for sure.

Comment

Easy enough to find out. Just look on the roster of those teams.

Ivy League

Princeton 1
              Brown 1
              Columbia 2 - 2 form GA as well:-)
              Cornell 0
              Dartmouth 0
              Harvard 0 - 1 from GA
              Univ of Penn 0
              Yale 4

California has the most out of state players on these roster by far..

D3 schools of consequence

MIT 0
              John Hopkins 1
              Carnegie Mellon 1
              WPI 0
              Washington & Lee 1
              NYU 4
              Chicago 2

A few others I am sure I left out but an interesting study subject for sure.
              Forgot that to mention that is from current rosters. There may be other Florida commits. Regardless, not a bad showing for Florida with such a small sample size.

Comment

The above post would show that you are incorrect - 17+ in fact.

Comment

The above post would show that you are incorrect - 17+ in fact.
                  Please note I said "each year", you're counting 4-year rosters. But you're right, it's more than I expected. I'm surprised by the number at Yale though their roster isn't updated yet. 2 juniors and 2 seniors, and no Florida recruits the past two years. So how many Ivy & D3 recruits committed from Florida this year?

Comment

Please note I said "each year", you're counting 4-year rosters. But you're right, it's more than I expected. I'm surprised by the number at Yale though their roster isn't updated yet. 2 juniors and 2 seniors, and no Florida recruits the past two years. So how many Ivy & D3 recruits committed from Florida this year?
                    Sorry, forget to also mention that I only searched girls.

Commitment info may be harder to find. Ivy leagues and some of these D3 schools don't offer commitment letters, they give "likely" letters in advance of the student athletes "blind acceptance" meaning, they supposedly don't care how well you kick a soccer ball.

I have never been able to find a list of such "likely" letters acceptance published on the web. I do know that coaches actively help kids who are interested in their schools through the process.

Top drawer soccer shows 2 2017, commits 0 for 2018 and 2 for 2019 for Girls. Of course, you have to be enrolled with Top Drawer to be listed and the player is responsible for updates so there may be more.

Comment

Sorry, forget to also mention that I only searched girls.

Commitment info may be harder to find. Ivy leagues and some of these D3 schools don't offer commitment letters, they give "likely" letters in advance of the student athletes "blind acceptance" meaning, they supposedly don't care how well you kick a soccer ball.

I have never been able to find a list of such "likely" letters acceptance published on the web. I do know that coaches actively help kids who are interested in their schools through the process.

Top drawer soccer shows 2 2017, commits 0 for 2018 and 2 for 2019 for Girls. Of course, you have to be enrolled with Top Drawer to be listed and the player is responsible for updates so there may be more.
                      You won't find much because all "commits" are verbal, even D1, and it's all basically self reported - either by players or their clubs. No list will ever be complete. Nothing is official with D1 until an NLI is signed. Even D1 schools don't publish their incoming recruit lists until NLIs are signed.

This spreadsheet is excellent but for some reason hasn't been updated in several months. But it gives you some ideas and you can look at this year, a few years back and whatever had been posted for 2018.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...yFYko/pubhtml#

Comment

You won't find much because all "commits" are verbal, even D1, and it's all basically self reported - either by players or their clubs. No list will ever be complete. Nothing is official with D1 until an NLI is signed. Even D1 schools don't publish their incoming recruit lists until NLIs are signed.

This spreadsheet is excellent but for some reason hasn't been updated in several months. But it gives you some ideas and you can look at this year, a few years back and whatever had been posted for 2018.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...yFYko/pubhtml#
                        You are correct. I knew about posting after the NLI's but the Ivy's and D3 schools are so different in other areas that I wondered if there was a special place they were announced.

So circling back to the numbers, Florida players make up 5.5% of the current rosters for girls not counting those currently in the recruitment process and 6% when those few D3 schools are added in. I know that you can not assume those numbers to be static over a rolling 4 year avg but, that is not too bad.

Three years ago Brown, MIT and one other came to our town for a academic Q&A which I took my son to. After the session I asked why the felt coming to Florida was necessary given entry was so competitive. The Brown admittance rep said they were attempting to get past the stigma that you needed to know someone or be wealthy to attend. They felt the south in general was under represented within their ranks.

In the end, my son's 4.2 gpa, 31 act and 2100 SAT did not cut the mustard (their loss anyway) but damn if I would not have tried to figure a way to pay if he got in. Had he played a sport, maybe that would have helped.....

Comment

You are correct. I knew about posting after the NLI's but the Ivy's and D3 schools are so different in other areas that I wondered if there was a special place they were announced.

So circling back to the numbers, Florida players make up 5.5% of the current rosters for girls not counting those currently in the recruitment process and 6% when those few D3 schools are added in. I know that you can not assume those numbers to be static over a rolling 4 year avg but, that is not too bad.

Three years ago Brown, MIT and one other came to our town for a academic Q&A which I took my son to. After the session I asked why the felt coming to Florida was necessary given entry was so competitive. The Brown admittance rep said they were attempting to get past the stigma that you needed to know someone or be wealthy to attend. They felt the south in general was under represented within their ranks.

In the end, my son's 4.2 gpa, 31 act and 2100 SAT did not cut the mustard (their loss anyway) but damn if I would not have tried to figure a way to pay if he got in. Had he played a sport, maybe that would have helped.....
                          Unfortunately those numbers, while very good, aren't good enough for the Ivies - they also take huge numbers of international students who are also outstanding students. The competition is absurd really. For all schools in fact. I wouldn't get into to my high academic D3 today with the grades/scores I had. For several years I did local interviews for the school and was usually blown away by the kids applying, many of which didn't get in.

But that's also why families are looking for that hook to get into the more exclusive schools - sports, music, starting a non-profit etc.

Comment

Some dude on the MA boards tracks MA boy's verbal commitments every year. Not surprisingly the DA clubs skew heavier D1, less D3, but that's not always the rule. MA also has tons of highly soccer competitive prep schools and many of those players land D1 spots. The list gives you an idea - the 3 DA clubs are NE Revolution. Bolts and Seacoast. Also the area has so many quality schools so that may skew the scale towards D3 because of location

D1
                            Ignacio Roitman - FC Stars - Exeter - Boston U
                            Nathan Plano - Aztec - Reading HS - Brown
                            Felipe Cypriano - Bolts - Malden - Bryant
                            Anthony Barreira - FC Stars - Foxboro - Bryant
                            Sam Hatem - FC Stars - Worcester Academy - Columbia
                            Cole Venner - Black Rock - Berkshire - UConn
                            Austin Aviza - Revs - Syracuse - UConn - transfer
                            Matthew Ranieri - Revs - Nobles&Greenough - Dartmouth
                            Stephen O'Connell - Black Rock - Berkshire - Duke
                            Wilhelm Jacques - Bolts - Medford - Duke
                            Rory Conway - Bolts - Brookline - Harvard
                            Max Benford - Aztec - Ipswich - Holy Cross
                            Edi Mujan - Bolts - Revere - Holy Cross
                            Justin Rennicks - Revs - Hamilton/Wenham - Indiana
                            Asher Carlson - Princeton SC - NMH - Lafayette
                            Trey Miller - Revs - Monson - Louisville
                            Mike Rita - Western United - Minnechaug - UMass
                            Eli Cronin - Seacoast - Masconomet - UMass
                            Davis Smith - Dallas Texans - Williston Northampton - UMass
                            Owen Miller - NEFC - Medford - UMass Lowell
                            Alex Shterenberg - Revs - Westwood - Michigan St
                            Nicholas Woodruff - Revs - Attleborough - Michigan St
                            Jonathan Wolf - NEFC - Worcester Academy - UNH
                            Adama Kaba - Hammer - St Sebastian - Northeastern
                            Noah Abrams - Manhattan - Berkshire - Northeastern
                            Daniel Munch - GPS - BB&N - Northeastern
                            Jack Roberts - GPS - Nobles&Greenough - Princeton
                            Ben Ludwick - FC Stars - Acton/Boxborough - PC
                            Simon Fisher - Bolts - Roxbury Latin - PC
                            Peter Zecca - GPS - Rivers - St Johns
                            Edward Walsh - Revs - Westwood - Xavier

D2
                            Rafael Perez - ? - Tewksbury - AIC
                            Connor Hicks - Western United - Monson - AIC
                            Chris Kalil - Western United - Wilbraham&Monson - Assumption
                            Sebastan Jaramillo - Seacoast - Dracut - Assumption
                            Hayden Yakola - Liverpool - Nauset - Bentley
                            Kyle Archambault - Bolts - St Johns Shrewsbury - Bentley
                            Will Buraczynski - NEFC - Littleton - Merrimack
                            Drew Lovely - GPS - Weymouth - Merrimack
                            Neil Mahatme - Seacoast - St John's - Merrimack
                            Cameron Mullins - Bruno - King Philip - Merrimack*
                            Mike Coffey - Aztec - Swampscott - St Anselm's
                            Matteo Bianchini - Aztec - Winchester - St Michael's

D3
                            Jack O'Brien - GPS - Milton Academy - Amherst
                            Dylan Steele - GPS - Brooks - Amherst
                            Sebastian Royo - GPS - Algonquin - Babson
                            Blaise Marceau - Bolts - Waban - Bates
                            Max McPherron - GPS - Nobles & Greenough - Bowdoin
                            Alex Chaban - Bolts - Brooks - Bowdoin
                            Andy Manos - GPS - NMH - Brandeis
                            Chris Russo - FC Stars - Westford - Brandeis
                            Evan Glass - Aztecs - Masconomet - Brandeis
                            Noah Gans - GPS - Newton South - Brandeis
                            Kevin Roberts - FC Stars - Medway - Bridgewater St
                            Sam Hatley - NEFC - ? - Clark
                            Alberto Butts-Lee - GPS - Worcester Academy - Colby
                            Walter Thilly - Seacoast - Winchester - Colby
                            Samson Heyer - FC Stars - Amherst HS - Colorado College
                            Justin Miranda - Aztec - Winchester - Connecticut College
                            Liam Donelan - FC Stars - Milton HS - Connecticut College
                            Alejandro Winsor - GPS - Wakefield - Curry
                            Grayson Presutti - GPS - Hingham - Denison
                            Daniel Milhollen - Bolts - Foxboro - Denson
                            Ian Logan - FC Stars - Westford Academy - Dickinson
                            Ryan Horan - GPS - Norwell - Franklin & Marshall
                            Hagop Kouchakdjian - GPS -Lexington - Hamilton
                            Jack Fell - GPS - Concord Carlisle - Hobart
                            Jack Herlihy - Aztec - Swampscott - Keene St
                            Liam Thor - Blackrock FC - Berkshire - Kenyon
                            Tyler Medierios- GPS - New Bedford Voke - UMass Boston
                            Mauricio Martinez - Aztecs - Revere - UMass Boston
                            Justin Burns - GPS - Walpole - Mass Maritime
                            Matthew Hyer - FC Stars - Groton Dunstable - Middlebury
                            Jacob LaBranche - Liverpool - Nauset - Middlebury
                            Marco Kaper - Aztec - Manchester-Essex - Middlebury
                            Cody Kennedy - ? - Millbury - New England Univ
                            Tommaso Valagussa - NE Rush - Arlington - RPI
                            Connor Edwards - Western - NMH - Roger Williams
                            Josh Polakiewicz - Aztecs - Masconomet - Roger Williams
                            Shoyo Yanagihara - FC Mass - NMH - Skidmore
                            James Nicholas - FSA - NMH - St Lawrence
                            Spencer Nagi - NEFC - Westborough - St Josephs College
                            Colin Grant - FC Stars - Bromfield - St Joseph's(ME)
                            Brendan Coyle - Aztecs - Marblehead - Salve Regina
                            Marvyn Dorchin - Seacoast - Belmont - Springfield
                            Eli Yamuna - GPS - Dover Sherborn - SUNY Cortland
                            Jason Meuth - Seacoast - Mansfield - Swarthmore
                            Jamie Marden - Aztec - Marblehead - Trinity College (CT)
                            Phineas Santello - Aztec - Arlington - Trinity College (CT)
                            David Luongo - Benfica - St John's Prep - Trinity College(CT)
                            Patrick "PK" Kennedy-GPS/Bolts - Thayer - Trinity College (CT)
                            Quentin van der Lee - Black Rock - Berkshire - Trinity(TX)
                            Travis van Brewer - Beachside - Minechaug - Tufts*
                            Omar al-Homsi Hernandez - FC Blazers - Bromfield - Union
                            Poom Mera - GPS - Swansea - Union
                            Matthias Loft - GPS - Cohasset - Union
                            Mauricio Bailleres - NMH/Culver - Wesleyan
                            Jeremy Richard - Black Rock - Berkshire - Wheaton
                            Nicholas Ranieri - GPS - Nobles&Greenough - Williams
                            Jules Oberg - Black Rock - Berkshire - Williams

Comment

Some dude on the MA boards tracks MA boy's verbal commitments every year. Not surprisingly the DA clubs skew heavier D1, less D3, but that's not always the rule. MA also has tons of highly soccer competitive prep schools and many of those players land D1 spots. The list gives you an idea - the 3 DA clubs are NE Revolution. Bolts and Seacoast. Also the area has so many quality schools so that may skew the scale towards D3 because of location

D1
                              Ignacio Roitman - FC Stars - Exeter - Boston U
                              Nathan Plano - Aztec - Reading HS - Brown
                              Felipe Cypriano - Bolts - Malden - Bryant
                              Anthony Barreira - FC Stars - Foxboro - Bryant
                              Sam Hatem - FC Stars - Worcester Academy - Columbia
                              Cole Venner - Black Rock - Berkshire - UConn
                              Austin Aviza - Revs - Syracuse - UConn - transfer
                              Matthew Ranieri - Revs - Nobles&Greenough - Dartmouth
                              Stephen O'Connell - Black Rock - Berkshire - Duke
                              Wilhelm Jacques - Bolts - Medford - Duke
                              Rory Conway - Bolts - Brookline - Harvard
                              Max Benford - Aztec - Ipswich - Holy Cross
                              Edi Mujan - Bolts - Revere - Holy Cross
                              Justin Rennicks - Revs - Hamilton/Wenham - Indiana
                              Asher Carlson - Princeton SC - NMH - Lafayette
                              Trey Miller - Revs - Monson - Louisville
                              Mike Rita - Western United - Minnechaug - UMass
                              Eli Cronin - Seacoast - Masconomet - UMass
                              Davis Smith - Dallas Texans - Williston Northampton - UMass
                              Owen Miller - NEFC - Medford - UMass Lowell
                              Alex Shterenberg - Revs - Westwood - Michigan St
                              Nicholas Woodruff - Revs - Attleborough - Michigan St
                              Jonathan Wolf - NEFC - Worcester Academy - UNH
                              Adama Kaba - Hammer - St Sebastian - Northeastern
                              Noah Abrams - Manhattan - Berkshire - Northeastern
                              Daniel Munch - GPS - BB&N - Northeastern
                              Jack Roberts - GPS - Nobles&Greenough - Princeton
                              Ben Ludwick - FC Stars - Acton/Boxborough - PC
                              Simon Fisher - Bolts - Roxbury Latin - PC
                              Peter Zecca - GPS - Rivers - St Johns
                              Edward Walsh - Revs - Westwood - Xavier

D2
                              Rafael Perez - ? - Tewksbury - AIC
                              Connor Hicks - Western United - Monson - AIC
                              Chris Kalil - Western United - Wilbraham&Monson - Assumption
                              Sebastan Jaramillo - Seacoast - Dracut - Assumption
                              Hayden Yakola - Liverpool - Nauset - Bentley
                              Kyle Archambault - Bolts - St Johns Shrewsbury - Bentley
                              Will Buraczynski - NEFC - Littleton - Merrimack
                              Drew Lovely - GPS - Weymouth - Merrimack
                              Neil Mahatme - Seacoast - St John's - Merrimack
                              Cameron Mullins - Bruno - King Philip - Merrimack*
                              Mike Coffey - Aztec - Swampscott - St Anselm's
                              Matteo Bianchini - Aztec - Winchester - St Michael's

D3
                              Jack O'Brien - GPS - Milton Academy - Amherst
                              Dylan Steele - GPS - Brooks - Amherst
                              Sebastian Royo - GPS - Algonquin - Babson
                              Blaise Marceau - Bolts - Waban - Bates
                              Max McPherron - GPS - Nobles & Greenough - Bowdoin
                              Alex Chaban - Bolts - Brooks - Bowdoin
                              Andy Manos - GPS - NMH - Brandeis
                              Chris Russo - FC Stars - Westford - Brandeis
                              Evan Glass - Aztecs - Masconomet - Brandeis
                              Noah Gans - GPS - Newton South - Brandeis
                              Kevin Roberts - FC Stars - Medway - Bridgewater St
                              Sam Hatley - NEFC - ? - Clark
                              Alberto Butts-Lee - GPS - Worcester Academy - Colby
                              Walter Thilly - Seacoast - Winchester - Colby
                              Samson Heyer - FC Stars - Amherst HS - Colorado College
                              Justin Miranda - Aztec - Winchester - Connecticut College
                              Liam Donelan - FC Stars - Milton HS - Connecticut College
                              Alejandro Winsor - GPS - Wakefield - Curry
                              Grayson Presutti - GPS - Hingham - Denison
                              Daniel Milhollen - Bolts - Foxboro - Denson
                              Ian Logan - FC Stars - Westford Academy - Dickinson
                              Ryan Horan - GPS - Norwell - Franklin & Marshall
                              Hagop Kouchakdjian - GPS -Lexington - Hamilton
                              Jack Fell - GPS - Concord Carlisle - Hobart
                              Jack Herlihy - Aztec - Swampscott - Keene St
                              Liam Thor - Blackrock FC - Berkshire - Kenyon
                              Tyler Medierios- GPS - New Bedford Voke - UMass Boston
                              Mauricio Martinez - Aztecs - Revere - UMass Boston
                              Justin Burns - GPS - Walpole - Mass Maritime
                              Matthew Hyer - FC Stars - Groton Dunstable - Middlebury
                              Jacob LaBranche - Liverpool - Nauset - Middlebury
                              Marco Kaper - Aztec - Manchester-Essex - Middlebury
                              Cody Kennedy - ? - Millbury - New England Univ
                              Tommaso Valagussa - NE Rush - Arlington - RPI
                              Connor Edwards - Western - NMH - Roger Williams
                              Josh Polakiewicz - Aztecs - Masconomet - Roger Williams
                              Shoyo Yanagihara - FC Mass - NMH - Skidmore
                              James Nicholas - FSA - NMH - St Lawrence
                              Spencer Nagi - NEFC - Westborough - St Josephs College
                              Colin Grant - FC Stars - Bromfield - St Joseph's(ME)
                              Brendan Coyle - Aztecs - Marblehead - Salve Regina
                              Marvyn Dorchin - Seacoast - Belmont - Springfield
                              Eli Yamuna - GPS - Dover Sherborn - SUNY Cortland
                              Jason Meuth - Seacoast - Mansfield - Swarthmore
                              Jamie Marden - Aztec - Marblehead - Trinity College (CT)
                              Phineas Santello - Aztec - Arlington - Trinity College (CT)
                              David Luongo - Benfica - St John's Prep - Trinity College(CT)
                              Patrick "PK" Kennedy-GPS/Bolts - Thayer - Trinity College (CT)
                              Quentin van der Lee - Black Rock - Berkshire - Trinity(TX)
                              Travis van Brewer - Beachside - Minechaug - Tufts*
                              Omar al-Homsi Hernandez - FC Blazers - Bromfield - Union
                              Poom Mera - GPS - Swansea - Union
                              Matthias Loft - GPS - Cohasset - Union
                              Mauricio Bailleres - NMH/Culver - Wesleyan
                              Jeremy Richard - Black Rock - Berkshire - Wheaton
                              Nicholas Ranieri - GPS - Nobles&Greenough - Williams
                              Jules Oberg - Black Rock - Berkshire - Williams
                              Impressive list. Sadly, most of the NE D3 schools are better academically than most of the schools in Florida. Another reason for kids to look north....providing they can handle the winters. UF is narrowing the gap and consistently ranked in the top 30 public schools in the US. However, playing soccer there athletically is as hard as getting into Harvard academically.

Comment

Be careful everyone when referring to a NLI (National Letter of Intent). So many men's soccer commitments are not solidified with a NLI (since this implies a athletic scholarship). Most are just signing a college letter of commitment. Very different thing. NLI is an official NCAA letter, and you can tell the difference in a picture as a NLI doesn't have a school logo on it. So few incoming freshman Div1 are on a NLI...most is a verbal commitment followed by signing a College Commitment letter which really is non-binding.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X