Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what colleges are showing significant interest in your kid?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Yes of course D3 schools give academic (merit) money but in general you have to be highly desired by the school to get substantial money - in other words well above their average admitted student. That's why good grades matter. Merit awards are usually good for all 4 years as long as you maintain a reasonable GPA. Financial aid is based on family income only, which tends to stay fairly static for most families but has to be applied for each year. With the exception of a few top conferences D1 athletic $ is also reviewed each year and subject to change. Exceptional students with limited means can receive very nice packages. Middle income families might get a tiny amount of financial aid so having a good merit award really matters there. Rich people can do whatever they want...must be nice.

As for choices - it's hard to generalize what kids will chose. There's so many factors involved (academics, size, location, soccer, internships....). In the end hopefully everyone is choosing based on academic fit because that's what matters most. Virtually no one is going pro and many won't even play all four years in college. One thing is certain - most kids will attend a school within a half day's drive from home. Since FL isn't blessed with many top academic schools students wanting that path have no choice but to go North of the border. Below is a link to a great study about how far kids go - the median for FL students is 119 miles, just above the national average of 96 miles. 75% of all students will go 230 miles or less; FL has 75% going 304m or less.

http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ838811.pdf
    ❤️ This! Yet our coach believes in traveling to Vegas and CA to get players more college opportunities out west. Another thing I know is that many players will choose a school for the soccer experience over academics. They believe any college will provide a basic well rounded education. Sad but true.

Comment

My comment was meant to be a general topic opening. Most kid in anywhere outside of the smaller NE states tend to stay close to home. Geographic will certainly play a role in any decision. Distance from home aside; I'm not sure many folks even consider the option of a great academic school. One Ivy League School coach told me "If your daughter gets the grades and scores to get in, the economics tend to work themselves out".

Factor in what most middle income families pay for the kids to play club ($3K to $8k range), would you keep shelling that out so your kid has a shot at a one of those academic schools. Would you not be compelled to explore that?

In the end, if your player qualifies for Florida Bright Futures and is a decent player; they will probably be able to play somewhere in college as a coach can certainly make their scholarship money stretch.

Here's good info on Ivies below. But keep in mind the admissions process is BRUTAL for the Ivies. That said, a student with excellent but not quite Ivy #s can still get very good packages at many other top schools. As an example a close friend's D just got $45,000/year grant to a school just one level below the two Ivies she got into. Ivies hardly gave her any money because of family income. She's taking the offer and will graduate with no debt vs close to $100K from the Ivies. Since she wants to also go to grad school that is a life changer. As said before it's all about grades and scores, extra curriculars etc. Soccer is just one piece. And at D3 schools soccer can't get you in - just your academics

Whenever possible don't pick just because of soccer. So many kids drop out, get cut, burn out etc. If you're not happy at the school and not playing, then what? Transfer, probably lose some credits in the process. You education should always come first. I know some kids can't afford school without athletic scholarships but that's why it's good to cast a wide net. That way you can weigh different packages in terms of athletic, merit, financial aid and pick the best option.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-i...n-university-1

Comment

❤️ This! Yet our coach believes in traveling to Vegas and CA to get players more college opportunities out west. Another thing I know is that many players will choose a school for the soccer experience over academics. They believe any college will provide a basic well rounded education. Sad but true.
        Unfortunately with ECNL and DA clubs don't have a lot of choices - they're national events and you pretty much have to go. They tend to be out West because of the weather. There's talk of ECNL having more regional events which would be a great move - less travel and costs, better fit between athletes and schools.

Comment

Unfortunately with ECNL and DA clubs don't have a lot of choices - they're national events and you pretty much have to go. They tend to be out West because of the weather, although this year playoffs are in the midwest. There's talk of ECNL having more regional events which would be a great move - less travel and costs, better fit between athletes and schools.
          Meant to add that now that ECNL is competing with GDA being more regionally focused could give them an advantage over GDA.

Comment

Meant to add that now that ECNL is competing with GDA being more regionally focused could give them an advantage over GDA.
            True and when Southern Regionals has coaches lining the fields then you know ecnl and Disney events will continue as regional recruiting grounds.

Comment

D3 coaches have to work harder and cast a larger net.

Comment

Here's good info on Ivies below. But keep in mind the admissions process is BRUTAL for the Ivies. That said, a student with excellent but not quite Ivy #s can still get very good packages at many other top schools. As an example a close friend's D just got $45,000/year grant to a school just one level below the two Ivies she got into. Ivies hardly gave her any money because of family income. She's taking the offer and will graduate with no debt vs close to $100K from the Ivies. Since she wants to also go to grad school that is a life changer. As said before it's all about grades and scores, extra curriculars etc. Soccer is just one piece. And at D3 schools soccer can't get you in - just your academics

Whenever possible don't pick just because of soccer. So many kids drop out, get cut, burn out etc. If you're not happy at the school and not playing, then what? Transfer, probably lose some credits in the process. You education should always come first. I know some kids can't afford school without athletic scholarships but that's why it's good to cast a wide net. That way you can weigh different packages in terms of athletic, merit, financial aid and pick the best option.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-i...n-university-1
                While your post is essentially correct, I'm not sure it paints the whole picture. My kid can easily go to any Florida school for free or almost for free based on academics alone. I know this because my oldest girl was also blessed with her mother's intelligence and work ethic and is currently do so.

My youngest grades and test scores have gotten her noticed enough where some Ivy's have come to see her play. A few D3 academic schools have already started some interesting conversations (the can start earlier of course) and 2 Ivy's have asked her to attend their camps this summer (direct invite through coach). She is not the most talented on her team by a stretch.

While we might be saying the same thing, your post comes across a bit pessimistic and may deter parents/kids from trying for a high standards institutions even though they may not have the pedigree.

Comment

While your post is essentially correct, I'm not sure it paints the whole picture. My kid can easily go to any Florida school for free or almost for free based on academics alone. I know this because my oldest girl was also blessed with her mother's intelligence and work ethic and is currently do so.

My youngest grades and test scores have gotten her noticed enough where some Ivy's have come to see her play. A few D3 academic schools have already started some interesting conversations (the can start earlier of course) and 2 Ivy's have asked her to attend their camps this summer (direct invite through coach). She is not the most talented on her team by a stretch.

While we might be saying the same thing, your post comes across a bit pessimistic and may deter parents/kids from trying for a high standards institutions even though they may not have the pedigree.
                  Just because they watch your player doesn't mean she'll land a spot. Take a look at the academic requirements for Ivies. Like they say - they hardest part about Harvard is getting in. If your income is low enough she could qualify for a virtual free ride and subsequent golden ticket. But that's also why the competition is so fierce to get in. At D3s and Ivies you get in based on your academics, not sports. Good thing coaches can help you get a pre-read with the admissions office to make sure you should get in.
                  However if she's in that upper academic echelon she'll still have loads of other good opportunities at high quality academic schools with fantastically large endowments. Combined with some financial aid (again depends on income) she could attend a high quality school for not a lot of money. The dividends of graduating with a "name" school will be long lasting for jobs, internships, grad school etc. But so is graduating from a good school with zero debt. There's so many things to consider. The trick is finding which ones to target so that the school wants you.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/troyoni.../#343d563c1373

https://www.forbes.com/sites/troyoni.../#4fdbf9d84e28

good luck - not the op

Comment

Just because they watch your player doesn't mean she'll land a spot. Take a look at the academic requirements for Ivies. Like they say - they hardest part about Harvard is getting in. If your income is low enough she could qualify for a virtual free ride and subsequent golden ticket. But that's also why the competition is so fierce to get in. At D3s and Ivies you get in based on your academics, not sports. Good thing coaches can help you get a pre-read with the admissions office to make sure you should get in.
                    However if she's in that upper academic echelon she'll still have loads of other good opportunities at high quality academic schools with fantastically large endowments. Combined with some financial aid (again depends on income) she could attend a high quality school for not a lot of money. The dividends of graduating with a "name" school will be long lasting for jobs, internships, grad school etc. But so is graduating from a good school with zero debt. There's so many things to consider. The trick is finding which ones to target so that the school wants you.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/troyoni.../#343d563c1373

https://www.forbes.com/sites/troyoni.../#4fdbf9d84e28

good luck - not the op

You come on this thread under the pretense of offering advice but again your comments still rings of negativity. Any parent who would even consider an Ivy or a high standards college does the research.

My advice to anyone who has read this thread is to explore any option that can possibly get their player into elite academic school as long as it does not leave them broke. Each family needs to make their own decision on the debt burden they are willing to take on.

What would you pay to graduate from Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth, John Hopkins, Brown or MIT? There is a different answer for each family. Most on this forum pay a ton of money so their kids can play a game. Why wouldn't they pay the same or little more to ensure the future of their kids, debt free or not.

Thank you for the links. Read them all previously.

Comment

What is the best academic D3 college in Florida?

Comment

The college where your kid wants to attend and he/she makes the effort to get seen by. Obviously your kid has to be good enough as a player and then impress the coach. Forget about being randomly identified in some showcase. Coaches attending those showcases go there to see particular players they are already interested in. Lastly, ignore the selling scams like DA and ENCL. Most of those kids never get recruited because their parents thought just being there is all it took. Wrong.

We all get bombarded by emails from certain colleges (always the same), promising to offer great recruitment opportunities to players that attend their camps/clinics. USF is probably the worse in Florida at that but it is all about making money for the coaches during the off-season. Check out these colleges's rosters and you will see 70% or more are foreigners.

There is no answer to your question. It all depends on the effort you put in as a parent and your child's choice of colleges.
                        Very accurate information!
                        I recently went through this process... best advice... identify 20 schools were your kid fits soccer-wise and academically... reach out to the coaches early on
                        ( sophomore year) with kids profile/video.... if they show interest, attend their camp... keep them informed on showcases and competitive leagues were your kid will play. update them often on soccer accomplishments, honors and grades.. narrow it down to a handful by junior year.. have club coach and DOC involved with these targets.. take visits..take offer which makes most sense from an academic and cost perspective.. its basically a part-time job.. but highly effective.. all the best !!

Comment

What is the best academic D3 college in Florida?
                          There aren't any as that I am aware of. Some decent D2 schools depending on your perspective and the major. Nothing in the league of colleges discussed above.

Comment

There aren't any as that I am aware of. Some decent D2 schools depending on your perspective and the major. Nothing in the league of colleges discussed above.
                            Rollins College in Winter Park... top notch academics.. solid soccer program.. D2

Comment

Rollins College in Winter Park... top notch academics.. solid soccer program.. D2
                              You had me until you said Rollins College. Not a competitive academic school. 60% acceptance rate means anyone with $45k and a C-average can be a student.

Comment

Very few D2 schools are "top notch" academics. Some are good, not great, and plenty are lackluster, lots of smaller state branch locations but not the main ones etc. Top D3 soccer is pretty good but the quality falls off pretty quickly. You have to go north for good D3 programs. Biggest concentration is PA and north into New England -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...I_institutions

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X