•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Epedemic Ruining Youth Sports

http://nypost.com/2017/06/19/the-epi...-youth-sports/

Blah, blah, blah.

A female soccer player got Osgood Schlatter. It's a growth and activity thing.

The article says you need to vary sports and gives the example of playing lacrosse, basketball and football.

OS is from a continued pounding on the knees.

Lacrosse, basketball and football all include lots of running. How would that help?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Blah, blah, blah.

A female soccer player got Osgood Schlatter. It's a growth and activity thing.

The article says you need to vary sports and gives the example of playing lacrosse, basketball and football.

OS is from a continued pounding on the knees.

Lacrosse, basketball and football all include lots of running. How would that help?
      Agreed OS isn't a good example because it's a growth issue more than anything else (I have a soccer/bball player with it and both sports aggravate it). However, there is no doubt there is a rise in overuse injuries in young athletes. Torn ACLs, etc are happen all the time, much more so than we were all playing sports. There is a mountain of evidence that cross training and developing multiple muscle groups can help prevent injuries along with mental burnout. Problem is clubs, coaches and leagues now push kids to chose one thing at younger and younger ages. Even if you're not a ten month DA player, it is still difficult to play high level club soccer and participate in other sports. It's up to the parents to protect their kids, watch for issues, push back on coaches. If your kid needs a break to rest something let them.

Comment

I agree - OS is a bad example. OS is not an "injury" but more of a growing issue that resolves itself completely when kid is finished growing.
        Torn ACLs in 14 and 15 years old would be much better example.

Comment

I agree - OS is a bad example. OS is not an "injury" but more of a growing issue that resolves itself completely when kid is finished growing.
          Torn ACLs in 14 and 15 years old would be much better example.
          Friend's son just had surgery for it - 15. When I was in HS we'd have one kid with a major injury like that, the rest minor stuff or skeletal breaks (ankles and so on). Now teams have multiples, especially girls' teams.

Comment

, but non-infectious diseases such as diabetes and obesity exist in epidemic proportion in the U.S.(51, 52)

https://www.cdc.gov/ophss/csels/dsep...section11.html

Comment

Friend's son just had surgery for it - 15. When I was in HS we'd have one kid with a major injury like that, the rest minor stuff or skeletal breaks (ankles and so on). Now teams have multiples, especially girls' teams.
              Agreed...my son was diagnosed with Spondylolysis (lower back fracture) a few months ago. Spondylolysis is referred to as the 'new MCL'. I never heard of it and I don't recall a single kid with this injury growing up. Supposedly it is from repetitive motion during youth growth (such as planting your foot and kicking). Talking about it with other parents in youth sports (soccer particularly) lots of people have heard of it. The back doctor at Children's (Boston) was very familiar with the club soccer scene because of these injuries. Three months of a back brace and then three months of P/T....he's 14. Turns out that stretching and core exercises during this high growth period in young boys could help reduce/eliminate the problem. He was upset that he most of the season and wanted me to still drive him to his club and town games so he could sit on the bench with his team.

Lot's of crap is said on TS that isn't helpful...so I hope this is useful (keep in mind that I'm not a doctor)...if you're kid is 12-16 start them doing core exercises and a stretching routine (with a foam roller) almost daily.

Comment

Agreed...my son was diagnosed with Spondylolysis (lower back fracture) a few months ago. Spondylolysis is referred to as the 'new MCL'. I never heard of it and I don't recall a single kid with this injury growing up. Supposedly it is from repetitive motion during youth growth (such as planting your foot and kicking). Talking about it with other parents in youth sports (soccer particularly) lots of people have heard of it. The back doctor at Children's (Boston) was very familiar with the club soccer scene because of these injuries. Three months of a back brace and then three months of P/T....he's 14. Turns out that stretching and core exercises during this high growth period in young boys could help reduce/eliminate the problem. He was upset that he most of the season and wanted me to still drive him to his club and town games so he could sit on the bench with his team.

Lot's of crap is said on TS that isn't helpful...so I hope this is useful (keep in mind that I'm not a doctor)...if you're kid is 12-16 start them doing core exercises and a stretching routine (with a foam roller) almost daily.
                My D had that, but they caught it with an MRI before the fracture occurred. Played the season in a fitted back brace and all was good. It actually changed her posture as she got so used to it.

Listen to your kids- they know (or should) know their body. Way too many parents ignore injuries until it's too late.

Comment

It's real simple people: strength and conditioning workouts starting about 10-11. Focus on core muscle groups and developing muscular symmetry. Have an off-season to rest the body and mind amd focus more on general fitness. During the competitive season(s), don't play for more than one team and don't do multiple sports in the same season. You can specialize early with no physical issues if you follow these guidelines. Also, limit the number of games vs trainings 4:1 is a good place to start given that is where DA is.

Comment

limit the number of games vs trainings 4:1
                    Training to games you mean?

And for parents with kids in pay-to-play soccer, good luck with that!

Comment

Training to games you mean?

And for parents with kids in pay-to-play soccer, good luck with that!
                      Yes. 3-4 practices to 1 game. Playing a tournament every weekend like some players (3-4 games in two days) is a recipe for burnout and injury.

Comment

My D had that, but they caught it with an MRI before the fracture occurred. Played the season in a fitted back brace and all was good. It actually changed her posture as she got so used to it.

Listen to your kids- they know (or should) know their body. Way too many parents ignore injuries until it's too late.
                        I know 2 soccer players and one basketball player who had it, all on the younger side (14-15). I had never heard of it before either.

Most clubs definitely do enough to teach kids to take care of their bodies. I know that they don't have much time to work with players and want to maximize practice time. But proper training can prevent a load of injuries. In the long run it's worth missing a few practice sessions to have a good trainer trainer come in and teach the kids and coaches what to do

Comment

Dumb Parents (saved you a click).

Comment

Yes. 3-4 practices to 1 game. Playing a tournament every weekend like some players (3-4 games in two days) is a recipe for burnout and injury.
                            Damn good recipe for a successful business too.

Comment

Growing kids would benefit from dedicated downtime. Multiple sports is best and skipping indoor winter soccer entirely is a great idea. Plenty of options for distraction and allow healing.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X