Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    for the longest time Orlando city refused to give us a friendly saying similar comments that are being said here. That we were not ready for them etc. in reality the da programs are run by the expectations of the parents. They don't like to loose and loosing to a club is shameful for them. They have nothing to gain by playing non da teams. Where as in South America and Europe, the parents can't even come on the field let alone offer their opinions. You should want to play any team that challenges your team any team that claims they are better. This is not a boxing match where the a belt is at stake. It is kids soccer. Friendly anyone.
    With so many clubs and leagues, supposed "higher" level teams have a great deal to lose if the team loses to a lower level one. As has happened here, people start to question what it is their kids are participating in (and giving up high school sports for) and what parents are paying for(GDA clubs will avoid playing ECNL clubs at all costs because the gap will be even less). Keeping up the illusion is marketing 101 after you've created the illusion. Parents in the system won't suddenly bail because they know it's just one game. But have multiple games like that? Then there's an issue.

Comment

With so many clubs and leagues, supposed "higher" level teams have a great deal to lose if the team loses to a lower level one. As has happened here, people start to question what it is their kids are participating in (and giving up high school sports for) and what parents are paying for(GDA clubs will avoid playing ECNL clubs at all costs because the gap will be even less). Keeping up the illusion is marketing 101 after you've created the illusion. Parents in the system won't suddenly bail because they know it's just one game. But have multiple games like that? Then there's an issue.
      Whatever helps you sleep at night. The only thing people are questioning in this post is what you are smoking to think beating OC is a statement. You should be calling USSF if you want to play DA teams not calling out DA clubs as they don't have a choice. I am surprised OC scrimmaged you in the first place because of the way USSF is set up. Rest assured, NO ONE is afraid to playing you but no one is going to go out of the way to do it either.

In most cases, ECNL or DA is the best opportunity for exposure as there is a much bigger world out there than leg az elite. Play the best and beat the best in the country country then you crow all you want.

Comment

Whatever helps you sleep at night. The only thing people are questioning in this post is what you are smoking to think beating OC is a statement. You should be calling USSF if you want to play DA teams not calling out DA clubs as they don't have a choice. I am surprised OC scrimmaged you in the first place because of the way USSF is set up. Rest assured, NO ONE is afraid to playing you but no one is going to go out of the way to do it either.

In most cases, ECNL or DA is the best opportunity for exposure as there is a much bigger world out there than leg az elite. Play the best and beat the best in the country country then you crow all you want.
        I wasn't calling it a statement. In a prior post I sad the opposite actually. It's just one game. But read comments and you can see that some do think it's an outright damnation of DA altogether which of course is absurd. That is why some top teams avoid playing outside their group - marketing. If OC's objective was to get some PT in then fine. Maybe losing will motivate players and coaches to do better

Comment

There are only a couple strong da clubs in the state. The idea of playing 6 days a week and not playing other sports and not being permitted to play in high school (games are at night and all the girls come watch) and traveling some times 10 hours in a day to play one game is not attractive to many families. Playing college soccer in the United States is not popular. Um uf and flu don't even offer it for men which is pathetic, if you are from Florida. You want your kid going to FIU? He better get straight As there or the job prospects are dim. The only way playing college soccer makes any sense, at least to me, is if your kid is both brilliant and plays soccer and manages to get into an Ivy League. Otherwise, find a good club team and let your kid play high school sports. If he is good he will get chances and he will also have a better teenage life.

Comment

This Leg AZ team has many kids playing in college (one on the national team) so top Non DA clubs still do get the exposure.

Comment

http://www.goprincetontigers.com/ros...px?rp_id=10429

Go through the rosters of the ivy schools. Some kids play club some play odp some high school and some da. It is a mixed bag. One constant is - good athlete and good brain. Find your game and find your brain.

Comment

There are only a couple strong da clubs in the state. The idea of playing 6 days a week and not playing other sports and not being permitted to play in high school (games are at night and all the girls come watch) and traveling some times 10 hours in a day to play one game is not attractive to many families. Playing college soccer in the United States is not popular. Um uf and flu don't even offer it for men which is pathetic, if you are from Florida. You want your kid going to FIU? He better get straight As there or the job prospects are dim. The only way playing college soccer makes any sense, at least to me, is if your kid is both brilliant and plays soccer and manages to get into an Ivy League. Otherwise, find a good club team and let your kid play high school sports. If he is good he will get chances and he will also have a better teenage life.
                loads of kids want to play in college. If you are willing to go outside the state there is a whole range of programs to play on from top D1 to low level D2 and D3. Same with the range of academics. Yes in the end the education matters the most, not college sports. But the ability to play is still high on the criteria list for many student athletes; up there with majors, size, location etc.

However I do agree with evaluating doing DA and the compromises being made vs what it will get you in the end. Not all DA clubs are that good, but playing DA will open many more doors to college coaches than playing at a lower level. Despite there being many programs out there you're still competing with players from all over for spots. If your player wants a top program soccer program doing DA is almost a necessity. But lower level programs can be reached without DA but high level club.

Each family has to evaluate what their options are locally and decide based on the player's long term goals, quality of coaching, competition, likelihood of good PT, importance of HS sports etc.

Comment

http://www.goprincetontigers.com/ros...px?rp_id=10429

Go through the rosters of the ivy schools. Some kids play club some play odp some high school and some da. It is a mixed bag. One constant is - good athlete and good brain. Find your game and find your brain.
                  For the logically challenged - no one said DA was the only way to get exposure only that it is the best way to do so.

But for my kid and many others it's very simple. They want to play at a high level with other equally talented kids. It is hard to get this at clubs. Commitment levels of kids and parents at club level varies widely as does talent. It was for me more stressful for my kid to play fysa club than DA. Da everything is set up for him. No need to worry about who is committed and who is not. Every year there are 1 or 2 great club situations That make for great stories but we don't comment on the 100s of clubs that waste a year for many ambitious and talented kids.

Comment

loads of kids want to play in college. If you are willing to go outside the state there is a whole range of programs to play on from top D1 to low level D2 and D3. Same with the range of academics. Yes in the end the education matters the most, not college sports. But the ability to play is still high on the criteria list for many student athletes; up there with majors, size, location etc.

However I do agree with evaluating doing DA and the compromises being made vs what it will get you in the end. Not all DA clubs are that good, but playing DA will open many more doors to college coaches than playing at a lower level. Despite there being many programs out there you're still competing with players from all over for spots. If your player wants a top program soccer program doing DA is almost a necessity. But lower level programs can be reached without DA but high level club.

Each family has to evaluate what their options are locally and decide based on the player's long term goals, quality of coaching, competition, likelihood of good PT, importance of HS sports etc.
                    You have some strong opinion. Why don't you take a moment to look through the ivy rosters. see where they played in high school. Playing college soccer at a medium level school is a waste of time. Better to use the time to stand out in academics. Get into a top university and now we are talking. You gotta look at the whole picture. Where is your kid in school what club is to. In the end the sat is a lot more important for playing college at a top school then the da ,if you are a good player. I hope u realize that.

Comment

You have some strong opinion. Why don't you take a moment to look through the ivy rosters. see where they played in high school. Playing college soccer at a medium level school is a waste of time. Better to use the time to stand out in academics. Get into a top university and now we are talking. You gotta look at the whole picture. Where is your kid in school what club is to. In the end the sat is a lot more important for playing college at a top school then the da ,if you are a good player. I hope u realize that.
                      Nice of you to decide what is best for other people's children. Stick to telling your own kids what to do and the rest of us will let our kids make their own choices.

Comment

Nice of you to decide what is best for other people's children. Stick to telling your own kids what to do and the rest of us will let our kids make their own choices.
                        I agree my kid would be miserable playing college soccer in the Ivy League Not why he's into soccer at all. Don't presume to know what's best for other kids.

Comment

OP here - never said you should make compromises in selecting a school for soccer, merely that playing is still important to many athletes. It's a rare alignment of the school that is perfect in every way. Often times compromises have to be made. One of my kids actually gave up trying to play basketball in college because she didn't want D1 (wanted to be more of a student) but every school she loved was D1. So yes I know about placing academics over all else.

Comment

I agree my kid would be miserable playing college soccer in the Ivy League Not why he's into soccer at all. Don't presume to know what's best for other kids.
                            Ok this is the height of insanity. The kids who play at Ivy League schools are some of the best players in the nation. Most are not da kids. Go look at the rosters. Any kid who got that opportunity and passed on it would be making a huge career mistake. But it is about values. I know that your kid is going pro but for the rest of us it would be an amazing opportunity.

Comment

Yes forget parenting. Let the kids make there own decisions.

Comment

http://ivyleaguesports.com/sports/ms...6-17/standings

These kids are both elite at soccer and elite in academics. We are not talking about 3.7 grade point averages. We are talking 5.0 genius'. In terms of soccer, we are talking about the elite only. Then combine all that with good works and you might get in. These are freaks of nature.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X