Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes a player stand out (by position)?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Dribbling with your head down into the corner and losing possession most of the time does not equal skill. Whoever posted this ^ is a moron.
    Not sure what age this is, but all it takes is a simple drill or two, about 60 minutes of progressively more challenging practice distributing the ball from midfield to the wide winger or outside back on an overlap run, dribble down the wing, then cross, square the ball, play it back to midfiled and reset or shoot. Start with no pressure (the crawl phase), then some pressure (more offensive players than defensive), and finally full on scrimmage with a focus on getting the ball wide and then doing something productive with it.

The heads-down dribbling can be fixed, but it takes a coach who actually wants to develop players.

Comment

Not sure what age this is, but all it takes is a simple drill or two, about 60 minutes of progressively more challenging practice distributing the ball from midfield to the wide winger or outside back on an overlap run, dribble down the wing, then cross, square the ball, play it back to midfiled and reset or shoot. Start with no pressure (the crawl phase), then some pressure (more offensive players than defensive), and finally full on scrimmage with a focus on getting the ball wide and then doing something productive with it.

The heads-down dribbling can be fixed, but it takes a coach who actually wants to develop players.
      Coach loves her because she can outrun (some) defenders and plow through the ones she can't outrun. Don't you know, it's not about skill, but rather how tenacious the player is???

Comment

The kid is unsuccessful and din't make the team, but the coach "loves" her- yeah not making any sense. You are full of it the kid is better than yours no doubt.
        No, numbnuts. Large club, pulls from several different regions to make Regional, National, NPL, etc.

Supahstah corner dribbler aka "Here Comes Another Throw In" was golden at first...until with half a brain realized running around and losing the ball isn't really playing. Those in the know figured it out.

Guess I know which side you are on...

As for my kid, she's got a lot to learn. But, she at least knows how to play with the ball, and with others, and not chase after it like a labrador retriever....

Comment

Not sure what age this is, but all it takes is a simple drill or two, about 60 minutes of...

No. LOL

Yes.

Comment

When I see a kid with limited touch--whatever the position--a little voice in my head says "That is going to cost her team some day". A player can be so productive in many ways--but without the ability to control the ball, she is just an accident waiting to happen.
            In basketball, we'd say "He's got hands like feet" about someone with no touch. A soccer player with no touch has "Feet like Fists".

Comment

When I see a kid with limited touch--whatever the position--a little voice in my head says "That is going to cost her team some day". A player can be so productive in many ways--but without the ability to control the ball, she is just an accident waiting to happen.
              In basketball, we'd say "He's got hands like feet" about someone with no touch. A soccer player with no touch has "Feet like Fists".
              We used to describe a particularly skillfull guy we played with as having "hand-like feet"

Comment

We usually say about a soccer player with no touch, "they have no touch." Sometimes we get creative and say, "they have a poor touch". Never in my 117 years in soccer have I heard "feet like fists". Then again, I probably have never read anything from you before and my guess is you have "brain like a rock". (A very small rock).

Comment

A hot mom will always help a player stand out to a soccer coach.

Comment

We usually say about a soccer player with no touch, "they have no touch." Sometimes we get creative and say, "they have a poor touch". Never in my 117 years in soccer have I heard "feet like fists". Then again, I probably have never read anything from you before and my guess is you have "brain like a rock". (A very small rock).
                    I like the imagery connoted by "feet like fists"--I see balls skittering away in all directions. More colorful than "no touch", maybe not as tried and true as "his second touch is a tackle". I'm going to send "feet like fists" in to Ray Hudson and ask for on-air credit. Yes, I do have a brain like a rock. In fact, I'm like a dinosaur in that I've got a small brain and I refuse to learn.

Comment

Coach loves her because she can outrun (some) defenders and plow through the ones she can't outrun. Don't you know, it's not about skill, but rather how tenacious the player is???
                      Translation she's a lot more successful than your kid

Comment

No, numbnuts. Large club, pulls from several different regions to make Regional, National, NPL, etc.

Supahstah corner dribbler aka "Here Comes Another Throw In" was golden at first...until with half a brain realized running around and losing the ball isn't really playing. Those in the know figured it out.

Guess I know which side you are on...

As for my kid, she's got a lot to learn. But, she at least knows how to play with the ball, and with others, and not chase after it like a labrador retriever....
                        Again here it is. You are one of those nasty jealous parents. Can't stand it that this kid is getting more love from those in the know... the coaches. If you argue the coaches don't know then you are even more stupid for staying at the club or are we talking about town garbage.

Comment

Translation she's a lot more successful than your kid
                          We'll see who ends up more successful in the end. I'm not the slightest bit worried.

Comment

Again here it is. You are one of those nasty jealous parents. Can't stand it that this kid is getting more love from those in the know... the coaches. If you argue the coaches don't know then you are even more stupid for staying at the club or are we talking about town garbage.
                            Some coaches really don't know. The only coaches that really matter won't give her a second look, promise you that. Keep dreaming.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X