Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am just wondering who is really qualified in these DAs to classify talent and predict how a child will be in adulthood. I think this concept is flawed. Soccer is a very mental game. If the kid at a young are is smart, creative, technical, works hard, is committed and always shows improvement, and is athletic even though maybe not the most athletic in the group, why are we even concerned about who is a late bloomer or not. I don't think you can train for creativit or smarts. It's in the kid of not. That should weight way way more.
    don't disagree in most cases, but there is a lot of science coming from pediatric endocrinology about the "bone age" of a kid being more indicative of development than chronological age and in some cases kids can be up to 3 years behind chronological age with bone age. there seems to be a movement in us soccer federation to recognize these studies to some degree. of course you cannot expect that DA programs have the resources available to determine bone age of their kids. i think this proposal is an effort to keep kids in a DA pool that show a bone age/ chronological lag, however imperfectly that may be determined. as long as this is not abused and is limited, it may help some kids get through a transition period.

Comment

don't disagree in most cases, but there is a lot of science coming from pediatric endocrinology about the "bone age" of a kid being more indicative of development than chronological age and in some cases kids can be up to 3 years behind chronological age with bone age. there seems to be a movement in us soccer federation to recognize these studies to some degree. of course you cannot expect that DA programs have the resources available to determine bone age of their kids. i think this proposal is an effort to keep kids in a DA pool that show a bone age/ chronological lag, however imperfectly that may be determined. as long as this is not abused and is limited, it may help some kids get through a transition period.
      As the poster was pointing out there are many other factors that make a player good - where they are on the development age isn't one of them. That's only about where they should be playing from a developmental standpoint (up or down or on age). It's like saying soccer switching to calendar year cut offs will change soccer. It's about the COACHING (something we need improving on across all levels of US soccer, not just USSF), training, work ethic, work on their own, drive to succeed, soccer IQ etc

Comment

MAZ (putting this to identify myself if I continue participation in this dialogue):

Just like I don't buy into the "late bloomers" argument, similarly, I don't buy into the "fastest, strongest, biggest, larger etc" kids are being selected over anyone else for DA teams.

DA selection process is fairly rigorous and it takes weeks to be selected unlike a typical club team that has to make a decision after seeing kid twice for 90 minutes at a time. In a typical club environment, yes, I would agree that size combined with speed (which sometimes go hand in hand) would definitely give you a better chance; however, DA's approach is different. They evaluate kids for longer, seeing them in their natural environment - club games, club practices (through their scouting network), then they would invite you to practice with the existent DA squad at more than multiple occasions to see how your kid sacks up. And it is not the size that will matter - it is who makes the most impact.

Impact on the outcome of the team what will matter. If you're head to head with a current DA's center-D, but larger... well, congrats, we just found a new center-D. Everything else is the same, size helps, otherwise it is who DA think will have a larger impact will make the team.
        LOL... you are not talking about south Florida DA clubs and scouting...no one scouts like that down here especially DA's

Comment

It is not absolute size that is the issue. A 5'10 8th grader could be a late bloomer if he's on his way to 6"10 t 20. Similarly a 5'2" 8th grader may actually be an early bloomer if he ends up at 5'5".

The question is really about testosterone levels. So the guy saying size doesn't matter, i agree it doesn't, but testosterone levels do.
          Testosterone is a performance enhancing drug. It is in fact an anabolic steroid. Kids well into puberty have a higher muscle mass, and are stronger and faster than prepubertal kids of the same size.

It happens that the rising ESTROGEN levels that occur with puberty in boys (a breakdown product of testosterone is indeed estrogen, increase testosterone, and there is also a proportional increase in estrogen) is the hormone that mediates the adolescent growth spurt. So most early maturing boys are also taller. To compound this effect, there is a prepubertal DECLINE in growth rate in children. So you have the early maturing kids taking off in size and muscle mass while the late maturers don't grow much at all. Hence the large discrepancy in size and body type most notable between 12 and 16 in boys.

Now that my physiology lesson is over, it makes sense to do what is being proposed in offering SOME programming based on physiological age, while keeping some competition based on chronological age. The differences in physical maturation do not correspond directly to intellectual and emotional maturation, that also should be considered especially in a cerebral game such as soccer.

Comment

Now that my physiology lesson is over, it makes sense to do what is being proposed in offering SOME programming based on physiological age, while keeping some competition based on chronological age. The differences in physical maturation do not correspond directly to intellectual and emotional maturation, that also should be considered especially in a cerebral game such as soccer.
            Yes, this last part is also important. My kid's physiological age is a year behind his chronological age, but because of his intellectual maturity and understanding of the game, he plays up a year. It'll be tough on him as he gets older and is moved back down to his own age, and with the new rule possibly an age level below, because of his physical lag.

Comment

Yes, this last part is also important. My kid's physiological age is a year behind his chronological age, but because of his intellectual maturity and understanding of the game, he plays up a year. It'll be tough on him as he gets older and is moved back down to his own age, and with the new rule possibly an age level below, because of his physical lag.
              In the long run it's best that he play with his age appropriate group. Not many kids can play up once puberty starts knocking on the door for most of a team. Being even smaller will put him at a disadvantage against kids much bigger. Doesn't matter how "intellectually mature" he is. Pushed off the ball is pushed off the ball.

Comment

HGH helps

Comment

LOL... you are not talking about south Florida DA clubs and scouting...no one scouts like that down here especially DA's
                  MAZ: Yes, you're correct, I am not from FL region, but (my bad) assumed, DA recruitment happens in the same manner across the board. Sorry to heat that's not the case over in Florida.
                  Before anyone storms in - this is one of the most active areas and that's why I posted here. Again, DA should be DA regardless of locale. I'd think, FL would have a lot of talented kids compared to midwest for instance just because of how heavily it is "Latino-based" with futbol being in the blood.

Comment

MAZ: Yes, you're correct, I am not from FL region, but (my bad) assumed, DA recruitment happens in the same manner across the board. Sorry to heat that's not the case over in Florida.
                    Before anyone storms in - this is one of the most active areas and that's why I posted here. Again, DA should be DA regardless of locale. I'd think, FL would have a lot of talented kids compared to midwest for instance just because of how heavily it is "Latino-based" with futbol being in the blood.
                    That's an issue endemic to all of DA - it's far more pay to play than free to play MLS. Location and ability to get to practices and games are also an issue for some players

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X