Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    No, but as I also said, ship has sailed.

All the clubs above had far higher national profile teams and players than GPS. GPS has never really had a national champion caliber team, and only a few low level national youth team pool type players.

They may have had the chance, but as members were hoping they'd merge Renegades/Bulldogs with Crusaders teams, they wouldn't, so the couple of top players they'd have would leave.
    GPS manages to do just well enough to placate parents unwilling to commit to more serious soccer. What they do is quite artful. I give them a lot of credit.

Comment

GPS does a great job marketing to the low level player that doesn't have the ability to play at the next level. Some of the kids from our town that play GPS can't even walk and chew gum at the same time. But the parents love posting all the pictures of their kid playing in their GPS uniform. LOL! GPS is nothing but very expensive town soccer.

Comment

GPS does a great job marketing to the low level player that doesn't have the ability to play at the next level. Some of the kids from our town that play GPS can't even walk and chew gum at the same time. But the parents love posting all the pictures of their kid playing in their GPS uniform. LOL! GPS is nothing but very expensive town soccer.
        GPeniSvy Guy...how YOU doin'?

Comment

GPeniSvy Guy...how YOU doin'?
          Creepy catchphrase, see a therapist.

Comment

GPS manages to do just well enough to placate parents unwilling to commit to more serious soccer. What they do is quite artful. I give them a lot of credit.
            Artful is an interesting description. It's certainly a great business model.

To the OP - get out if you really think your kid has the talent and the desire to play at advanced levels. It's really as simple as that.

Comment

Creepy catchphrase, see a therapist.

Aaaah...still need that hug?

C'mere big boy.

Comment

Aaaah...still need that hug?

C'mere big boy.
                Is this something you post often? I didn't think this was that type of forum.

Comment

Is this something you post often? I didn't think this was that type of forum.
                  Hush now, baby, baby, don't you cry
                  Mama's gonna make all of your nightmares come true
                  Mama's gonna put all of her fears into you
                  Mama's gonna keep you right here under her wing
                  She won't let you fly but she might let you sing
                  Mama's gonna keep baby cozy and warm

Comment

Lol. Must be tryout time if the club bashing posts like the one above are being pushed. Every single club in NEP that fields League 1 teams (and that is every club in NEP) is basically an expensive rec/town program. That includes NEFC, FC Stars, FC Boston, SSS, and GPS. The coach and the level of the team are more important than the club and for 95% of club soccer players, the top of those developmental pyramid marketing phamlets are unattainable anyway.

Comment

All you need to know:

Current ECNL, DAP clubs:

Stars, Scorpions, NEFC, Bolts

All started as nonprofits by volunteers, many of which were independently wealthy already, and scarcely had full time people, just to develop strong soccer players. As they built, most of the decision makers didn't get paid. They've all at some point made decisions that benefited national team level players and hurt financial bottom lines.

That may not seem to be the case, but it is, historically.

Meanwhile, GPS was started for profit from the very beginning, and it would be hard to find any decision they've ever made that has helped the club grow without additionally helping their bottom line. Their unwillingness to create elite pools out of their regions for most of their existence being one of the prime issues. The top players would leave to play for one of the above clubs. This is way before any of these leagues.

Now, you can look at the NPL and State Elite teams today, and you can see that the bottom line may eventually have been hurt by their long time decisions not to pool talent to compete with the top clubs. But that ship has probably sailed. GPS always loses the national team level players too early to make the difference it needs to make at the older age groups.
                      This holds true when you look at the results of the top age brackets in the GPS Memorial Day Tournament.

A MA GPS team couldn't even make the finals at U14, U15, U16, U18 & U19.

The best players leave once they realize DA is their best option for development and identification.

The departure of these few players per age is generally enough to hamper the teams chances of competing despite NPL being a B team type league.

Comment

Lol. Must be tryout time if the club bashing posts like the one above are being pushed. Every single club in NEP that fields League 1 teams (and that is every club in NEP) is basically an expensive rec/town program. That includes NEFC, FC Stars, FC Boston, SSS, and GPS. The coach and the level of the team are more important than the club and for 95% of club soccer players, the top of those developmental pyramid marketing phamlets are unattainable anyway.
                        Sadly the GPS pyramid isn't a pyramid at all. It has a roof deck.

Comment

Artful is an interesting description. It's certainly a great business model.

To the OP - get out if you really think your kid has the talent and the desire to play at advanced levels. It's really as simple as that.
                          Interesting since the so-called top leagues have a history of taking these kids - who replace their own players - (think About that). Don't trust these comments about these "top clubs"... It's all the same crap. I've been through this with 3 kids, it's the same thing every year.

Comment

Interesting since the so-called top leagues have a history of taking these kids - who replace their own players - (think About that). Don't trust these comments about these "top clubs"... It's all the same crap. I've been through this with 3 kids, it's the same thing every year.
                            When you consider that they take 1 or 2 kids from a GPS pool of hundreds per age group it puts things in perspective. The question you should ask yourself is why the best players feel the need to leave to advance?

Comment

When you consider that they take 1 or 2 kids from a GPS pool of hundreds per age group it puts things in perspective. The question you should ask yourself is why the best players feel the need to leave to advance?
                              The question you should be asking yourself is why do you care so much?

I've seen some of these "top" teams play and honestly I haven't been all that impressed. Top 3-4 players on the top teams will standout... Others not so much. This isn't a pro-GPS or anti-Academy/ECNL (or whatever the newest rage will be next year), it's just reality. No matter where your kid ends up, he/she will be doing the exact same thing that mine will be doing in a few short years... And that is WORKING (ie not playing a game of soccer).

Comment

The question you should be asking yourself is why do you care so much?

I've seen some of these "top" teams play and honestly I haven't been all that impressed. Top 3-4 players on the top teams will standout... Others not so much. This isn't a pro-GPS or anti-Academy/ECNL (or whatever the newest rage will be next year), it's just reality. No matter where your kid ends up, he/she will be doing the exact same thing that mine will be doing in a few short years... And that is WORKING (ie not playing a game of soccer).
                                My kids just have an internal drive yours don't.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X