Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DA system needing grit?

not sure I agree, but interesting read...
    http://www.theawayendfooty.com/the-h...never-been-hit

Who wrote the article? The president for sfuysa? Lol , sure, DA has kids who need to be more physical but all in all they can compete...

Comment

to me the author is A) a Brit ex-pat who already has a healthy bias towards American soccer; or B) hasn't been around DA soccer much; or some of both.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Who wrote the article? The president for sfuysa? Lol , sure, DA has kids who need to be more physical but all in all they can compete...
        just like our men's NT does on the world stage....

Comment

just like our men's NT does on the world stage....
          I can't help but agree with this article. I feel as though you see more "agression" for lack of a better word in the girls game than the boys.

Comment

We're still better than your kid.

Comment

agree with the symptom. disagree with the cause. I think it would be much worse if not for DA.

My take is that you see international and US kids competing pretty even until about u14. At u14 you see the best U.S. teams struggling to beat second tier international teams. Like the article said, playing with less physicality and really much less savvy. The answer to why I don't think is that DA is a country club. I think there is next to nothing else but soccer for the int'l kids. No ACT, no thoughts of much college. It is futbol 125%. it makes sense b/c they are in countries where you can play 2nd or 3rd division in your 20s and still do something with your life. Kids here are mostly thinking about college. There are no real domestic leagues except for MLS and even MLS takes players from abroad. A kid is right to think about college.

second, most international kids are also much more street savvy at a younger ages. many walk around their home towns without adult supervision, something that we think is dangerous here. and in many cases, not even possible since we live in remote suburbs.

you combine all these factors and you get more savvy, aggressive risk-taking teenagers on international teams. I don't think DA is at fault. In fact, I think DA could be part of the solution by encouraging participation in international tournaments.

Comment

agree with the symptom. disagree with the cause. I think it would be much worse if not for DA.

My take is that you see international and US kids competing pretty even until about u14. At u14 you see the best U.S. teams struggling to beat second tier international teams. Like the article said, playing with less physicality and really much less savvy. The answer to why I don't think is that DA is a country club. I think there is next to nothing else but soccer for the int'l kids. No ACT, no thoughts of much college. It is futbol 125%. it makes sense b/c they are in countries where you can play 2nd or 3rd division in your 20s and still do something with your life. Kids here are mostly thinking about college. There are no real domestic leagues except for MLS and even MLS takes players from abroad. A kid is right to think about college.

second, most international kids are also much more street savvy at a younger ages. many walk around their home towns without adult supervision, something that we think is dangerous here. and in many cases, not even possible since we live in remote suburbs.

you combine all these factors and you get more savvy, aggressive risk-taking teenagers on international teams. I don't think DA is at fault. In fact, I think DA could be part of the solution by encouraging participation in international tournaments.
                Agree

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X