Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OB1 View Post
    How quickly some coach deflected all blame for any problems with soccer from his shoulders to the referees.
    That is like blaming a fireman for the fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I've been reading threads here on and off for a couple of years at least. More often than not I'm continually reminded of those aspects of soccer that should be better than they are. Most are in the hands of coaches or parents or both. Most of the time it's a case of knowing better, just not walking the walk. Club and youth program administrators hold the power influence their communities of coaches and parents. Most don't do much beyond lip service though.

At its mid-year meeting in 2001, the NSCAA Board of Directors approved the following Code of Ethics and Conduct:

- Soccer is the players' game. The paramount concern of coaches is the holistic development, welfare, enjoyment and safety of their players.
      - Coaches bear responsibility for teaching their players to strive for success while playing fairly, observing the Laws of the Game and the highest levels of sportsmanship.
      - Coaches shall treat officials with respect and dignity, and shall teach their players to do the same.
      - Our opponents are worthy of being treated with respect. Coaches will model such respect for opponents and expect their players to do likewise.
      - In both victory and defeat, the behavior of a coach shall model grace, dignity and composure.
      - Coaches shall adhere to the highest standards and the regulations of the institutions they represent: clubs, schools, sponsoring organizations and sports governing bodies.
      - Coaches have a responsibility to promote the interests of soccer, including treating media with courtesy, honesty and respect.
      - Coaches shall model inclusive behavior, actively supporting cultural diversity while opposing all types of discrimination, including, but not limited to, racism and sexism, at all levels of soccer.
      - Coaches are responsible for taking an active role in education about, and prevention and treatment of, drug, alcohol and tobacco abuse, both in their own lives and in the lives of their players.
      - Coaches shall refrain from all manner of personal abuse and harassment of others, whether verbal, physical, emotional or sexual, and shall oppose such abuse and harassment at all levels of soccer.
      - Coaches shall respect the declared affiliations of all players, and shall adhere to all guidelines and regulations on recruiting established by the governing bodies having oversight of their teams and leagues.
      - Coaches shall seek to honor those who uphold the highest standards and principles of soccer and shall use appropriate protocol to oppose and eliminate all behavior that brings disrepute to the sport - violence, abuse, dishonesty, disrespect and violations of the Laws of the Game and rules governing competition.
      Fall season is right around the corner.

Comment

Wonder if JD has read these

Comment

Wonder if JD has read these
          Too busy strategizing the destruction of the high school soccer season.

Comment

Is it #TBT?

Comment

Is it #TBT?
              https://janeaustenrunsmylife.files.w...tgxm.gif?w=474

Comment

If you had any doubts about the source of the other thread now you know for sure. And to think someone has said only the P-man references old threads.

Comment

If you had any doubts about the source of the other thread now you know for sure. And to think someone has said only the P-man references old threads.
                  Who started this thread Nigel?

Comment

Who started this thread Nigel?
                    Forgive me, my friend. I meant who bumped the thread, not started it, although some of the bumped threads you did start.

Comment

Forgive me, my friend. I meant who bumped the thread, not started it, although some of the bumped threads you did start.
                      Absolutely perfect...perfectly wrong.

THIS thread is actually the ONLY thread I've bumped which I actually started.

I couldn't have constructed a better way to illustrate that you should quit, work hard to dislodge your head from your arse and equally as hard to not be the victim of your own paranoid delusions.

Comment

Directing your comment at me is truly idiotic - first because you have no basis to know whether it's true or isn't, secondly because it's typically TS classless form and third because (again, you wouldn't know) that I'm highly critical of the fact that I think refs (premier even more than HS) are extremely hesitant to book players and engaged in plenty of TS threads making that case.

But this isn't a ref thread and tried to objectively and diplomatically address that point with my prior post. Once again though, it's TS...

Perhaps this wasn't initially intended to be a 'refs thread' but the rest of us cannot be limited by the lack of vision of the OP. Refs should certainly be included in this discussion. We can't be blamed because you didn't recognize this.

Comment

Absolutely perfect...perfectly wrong.

THIS thread is actually the ONLY thread I've bumped which I actually started.

I couldn't have constructed a better way to illustrate that you should quit, work hard to dislodge your head from your arse and equally as hard to not be the victim of your own paranoid delusions.
                          you both need significant levels of help from a professional of some sort with experience in psychology or psychiatry. I am also quite sure that there are some research studies that would welcome your participation

Comment

Using your logic, take into consideration the following scenario...

I worked a lot of games in the summer/fall, both HS and youth (NEP/Maple/tournaments); about 60+ in total. In several of those matches, coaches are screaming at players to the point of abusing them, when they make a mistake. This puts a lot of pressure on the player, which may cause them to play in a reckless manner they may not otherwise do so. If that player commits a foul that causes serious injury, who's at fault? The ref who has to act after the fact; the coach who put that player under pressure; or the player his or herself?

I've warned several coaches who I believe went over the line and asked them to modify their behavior. Sometimes players, parents and coaches get so wrapped up and behave in a manner they would not normally do. They seem to lose all sense of rationality in a span of 2 hours over a kids game. And you want to blame the official?

Injuries happen. This is a fact that there is no way to get around. If two kids, running straight for the ball, are on a collision course and will both reach and hit the ball at the same time, and one or both will sustain an injury (your crystal ball will confirm this)..........what do you want each player to do?

Collisions and injuries are going to happen. Do you teach your player to back off so they won't get hurt or do you inspire, encourage, and yes, put pressure on them to perform with desire, intensity, and aggressiveness (sorry for this word...) to win the ball and dare to be great?

As kids grow up they need to feel some pressure and some urgency to elevate him/herself to a higher level. This is how we learn, how we perform, and how we succeed. The balance here is to also teach that mistakes happen and losses occur. Everything can be taught with a balance of emphasis. For example the counter to losing is to create some kind of pressure to want to get back on the field and play to win which requires the intensity and drive.

You find me a coach that does not exert some pressure on the players and I will show you the same coach that will never coach successfully beyond U10 soccer.

Live or die pressure is not necessary, but pressure to perform and realistic views of winning and losing exist in balance with the ultimate goal being to elevate the player to the next level.

All said, there are certainly ridiculous and violent actions that are not necessary and this is what the ref, coach, and parent should look to control, but to blame the coach or parent for exerting PRESSURE on the player is pathetic.

Comment

you both need significant levels of help from a professional of some sort with experience in psychology or psychiatry. I am also quite sure that there are some research studies that would welcome your participation
                              No joke. We all knew they were obsessed but drudging up a 3+ year old thread to prove a point is out right demented. There were a few other old threads pulled up around the same time.

Comment

You think anything on TS matters? I engage in "talking soccer" and that douche comes along time and again with "Thanks, BTDT" and a page of posts later that amount to denials and pleas not to wreck a thread and the wrecking ball is out in full swing.

TS is something to kill time when the TV or other browser tabs aren't much more compelling.

I might as well toy with this moron and entertain myself on the off chance he cracks, throwing himself or his laptop out the nearest window.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X