Recruiters or Coaches

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This question is too difficult to answer. Do you want to know the best coach for technical development, tactical development or most successful? There are different answers for all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      This question is too difficult to answer. Do you want to know the best coach for technical development, tactical development or most successful? There are different answers for all of them.
      This is a great answer and true for me. I have a daughter on a mid-tier team of a large club and they're usually a .500 team. The coach is very up-front about using soccer as a means to developing girls into successful, confident, assertive, healthy, socially and culturally astute adults - win or lose. It's all about character and discipline and responding to adversity and maintaining composure under pressure, and yes, even learning how to win with dignity as well. They talk about school, reading lists, goals inside and outside of soccer. The objective is to have them on a track to attend college and hopefully to continue playing while attending, whether that means a school team, club or intramurals.

My kid is a better person and better soccer player for having met this coach. Does that qualify as being a successful coach? It does to me, but I know others measure it differently.

I have another child in a different club and it's very different. Nothing bad, just completely different set of expectations.

Comment

This is a great answer and true for me. I have a daughter on a mid-tier team of a large club and they're usually a .500 team. The coach is very up-front about using soccer as a means to developing girls into successful, confident, assertive, healthy, socially and culturally astute adults - win or lose. It's all about character and discipline and responding to adversity and maintaining composure under pressure, and yes, even learning how to win with dignity as well. They talk about school, reading lists, goals inside and outside of soccer. The objective is to have them on a track to attend college and hopefully to continue playing while attending, whether that means a school team, club or intramurals.

My kid is a better person and better soccer player for having met this coach. Does that qualify as being a successful coach? It does to me, but I know others measure it differently.

I have another child in a different club and it's very different. Nothing bad, just completely different set of expectations.
        Sounds utopian. Where is this Betty Ford School of Soccer (and Life)???

Comment

Not enough of this. Less and less it seems. I blame parents mostly.

Comment

Sounds utopian. Where is this Betty Ford School of Soccer (and Life)???
            I won't say which club because that's an easy way to draw criticism and get easily dismissed by supporters/parents of other clubs, but it's one of the three that always comes up around here.

But yes, it IS utopian. This coach works hard on-and-off the field for every single player on the roster, and in turn each girl would run through a brick wall for the coach.

Sometimes you just find the right situation so you stay, despite what else may be out there. For us, there's a lot more to it than GotSoccer points and tournament pins so we know how lucky we are.

Comment

I won't say which club because that's an easy way to draw criticism and get easily dismissed by supporters/parents of other clubs, but it's one of the three that always comes up around here.

But yes, it IS utopian. This coach works hard on-and-off the field for every single player on the roster, and in turn each girl would run through a brick wall for the coach.

Sometimes you just find the right situation so you stay, despite what else may be out there. For us, there's a lot more to it than GotSoccer points and tournament pins so we know how lucky we are.
              So, in other words, another plug for NEFC. And your other kid plays for one of the 3 usual suspects also? Or a different club?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X