Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NESCAC Info...

My child recently attended an ID clinic of NESCAC schools. During the clinic he had the chance to speak to some of the players about student life for athletes and the feedback was surprising. What he heard was during the season players were not allowed out on weekends, even if there was no game the next day. Basically, there was no other social activity other than soccer during the season. Is that true? (If so, it seems a bit excessive for schools that don't even give out scholarships..)

He's not looking to party on weekends, but is not interested in living the life of a monk either…

Serious replies only please...

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My child recently attended an ID clinic of NESCAC schools. During the clinic he had the chance to speak to some of the players about student life for athletes and the feedback was surprising. What he heard was during the season players were not allowed out on weekends, even if there was no game the next day. Basically, there was no other social activity other than soccer during the season. Is that true? (If so, it seems a bit excessive for schools that don't even give out scholarships..)

He's not looking to party on weekends, but is not interested in living the life of a monk either…

There are plenty of indoor sports he can play

Comment

That may be the team culture at one or two of the schools, and is likely self-imposed. Good for the teams that want to be that disciplined, and good for your son to capture that info. Note that he may have been hearing a bit of an exaggeration or some kids' ideal vision of how dedicated they want the program to be. I was on a couple of teams that took "no party" pledges in season, and while most of the team would take them seriously, they were not 100% enforced or followed.

Comment

When you say, "not allowed out on weekends," are you referring to drinking specifically? Or do you mean something else?

Comment

When you say, "not allowed out on weekends," are you referring to drinking specifically? Or do you mean something else?
          I wasn't there, but I the question asked was, "what do you do on weekends during the season?" and the response was "we're not allowed out and if we're caught attending a party we're benched" I don't think there was any further elaboration....

Comment

I wasn't there, but I the question asked was, "what do you do on weekends during the season?" and the response was "we're not allowed out and if we're caught attending a party we're benched" I don't think there was any further elaboration....
            I'm gonna guess that the reference is to drinking during the season, and not to going out to a party or social event.

Comment

The norm in NESCAC is no drinking the night before a game or maybe 2 nights. But Saturday night is definitely party night for the teams.

Comment

Which school?

Comment

"Serious replies only"?? That is inviting just the opposite.

First, it is likely that only the seniors are of drinking age so that part of the message may be the brunt of it.
                  Second, although discipline is great but college is about many things of which sports is one. The others, which include socialization, should not be missed out on. This does not mean to party until you pass out, or stay up all night every night, but it does incorporate relating to others that may not be on your team.
                  Third, I doubt that this is the way of all NESCAC schools and when looking at schools, the perspective student should decide what he/she is looking for and try to find that balance. After all, they are there for one main reason and many other secondary ones. Soccer (or any other sport) is secondary.

Finally, I played multiple sports in college (DIII) and we were a bit crazy throughout the whole year and had a great time. I am sure that a balance can be struck between attending and being successful at the academics, socializing, and playing a sport.

Comment

The norm in NESCAC is no drinking the night before a game or maybe 2 nights. But Saturday night is definitely party night for the teams.
                    This is spot on. All the teams take it serious during season...you can attend the party but you better not be drinking...with the 48 hour rule (no alcohol 48 hours prior to a game). Saturday nights after a Saturday game is "have fun time". Saturday night with a Sunday game is "you better not go out". Out of season they have their fun. Soccer in the NESCAC is very serious during the season. These coaches run their team like a D1 team which is very serious....off season training year round is the norm and no spots are guaranteed at all. Both my players played for 4 years and loved it and had plenty of fun, but soccer in the NESCAC is a big full time commitment.

Comment

This is spot on. All the teams take it serious during season...you can attend the party but you better not be drinking...with the 48 hour rule (no alcohol 48 hours prior to a game). Saturday nights after a Saturday game is "have fun time". Saturday night with a Sunday game is "you better not go out". Out of season they have their fun. Soccer in the NESCAC is very serious during the season. These coaches run their team like a D1 team which is very serious....off season training year round is the norm and no spots are guaranteed at all. Both my players played for 4 years and loved it and had plenty of fun, but soccer in the NESCAC is a big full time commitment.
                      Big commitment DIII as well in season. My kids' coach is no-nonsense, eat and breath soccer and classes in season then do what you want off season. Players still go out in season and I'm sure some still drink (and lol to whoever said this only applies to seniors because EVERYONE at college drinks despite the drinking age) but they quickly learn there are consequences for doing so. Even if they aren't "caught" it will show in their performance the next day. There's still training, scrimmaging and a few games "off-season" but it isn't nearly as intense.

That said it will be school, coach and player dependent. If a coach says one thing but there are no consequences then players will blow it off. Some other schools my son looked at seemed a bit more lax even in season but it was also consistent with a more social school atmosphere.

Comment

Yes- have heard that many teams have a "48 hour rule." And yes- serious commitment, but I think it operates differently than D1 though in that there are rigid NESCAC limits on the coach's ability to be involved post-season (ie, almost no direct coach involvement with soccer activities) so much responsibility falls to the captains.

Comment

Yes- have heard that many teams have a "48 hour rule." And yes- serious commitment, but I think it operates differently than D1 though in that there are rigid NESCAC limits on the coach's ability to be involved post-season (ie, almost no direct coach involvement with soccer activities) so much responsibility falls to the captains.
                          True, but attendance is taken by the Captains for each off season training session and those who "miss" go into the dog house and most times don't get out. No offseason with the Coach, but he knows exactly what's going on and is orchestrating (laying out) the training sessions before each week with the Captains. The offseason training sessions are competitive and players know jobs are on the line. Having a "bad offseason" doesn't bode well for the Fall as the Coach will already be sour on the player. No question that it's not D1, but the offseason in NESCAC is still soccer 3 or 4 times a week without the Coach. There are NESCAC limits, but they all circumvent it with the Captains running the offseason.

Comment

True, but attendance is taken by the Captains for each off season training session and those who "miss" go into the dog house and most times don't get out. No offseason with the Coach, but he knows exactly what's going on and is orchestrating (laying out) the training sessions before each week with the Captains. The offseason training sessions are competitive and players know jobs are on the line. Having a "bad offseason" doesn't bode well for the Fall as the Coach will already be sour on the player. No question that it's not D1, but the offseason in NESCAC is still soccer 3 or 4 times a week without the Coach. There are NESCAC limits, but they all circumvent it with the Captains running the offseason.
                            OP here...thanks for the thoughtful feedback. It has been very helpful. I'll pass it along.

Comment

And just like in all sports at various levels, even partying on Saturday night can attempt to be discouraged by the coach by scheduling an early session on Sunday. Depends on personality, performance, etc.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X