X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Not half bad actually. At least you can see some attempt at playing soccer
    I know that I will take some grief for this but.... I love watching these videos as it makes me realize just how crazy we all are. My daughter's team would get crushed by this NEFC team on the video but yet I watch this video and well... no offense but that isn't the greatest soccer I've ever seen. My point is, sometimes I read these threads about these amazing teams and all their accomplishments and I think "Wow. They must be amazing". Then, I watch and think, "ok, it's just high school girls soccer". Ha ha. This is an equal opportunity mean post... The video could be of the Stars or any other club out there. We all need to relax.

Comment

Looks very average with many giveaways and poor touches. Just like any other team or league with. Difference is these girls have more speed and athletisysm

Comment

exactly. Many parents are noting this after pushing play......
        So much for the hype all around from both.

Comment

Looks very average with many giveaways and poor touches. Just like any other team or league with. Difference is these girls have more speed and athletisysm
          Kids look tired, no doubt the effect of the tournament format of 5 games in 5 days but you can still see what they are trying to do. Both teams have much more ball movement than what was on the other clip

Comment

agree that the players were trying to conserve energy. Does ECNL limits subbing back in? Not seeing speed at all, from either team. But reasonable given the conditions.

Comment

Kids look tired, no doubt the effect of the tournament format of 5 games in 5 days but you can still see what they are trying to do. Both teams have much more ball movement than what was on the other clip
              I could not watch past fifteen minutes so does it get better ?

Comment

I could not watch past fifteen minutes so does it get better ?
                My observation has almost always been that watching a video -- as opposed to spectating live, in person -- tends to expose poor technique, strategy and decision making much more so than does watching the same game live. Moreover, by virtue of its perspective being different than that of the human eye, that camera also tends to slow down the action relative to how those same events would be perceived by someone watching live.

There is also the psychology of the viewer that comes into play and how that affects perception. My hypothesis here is that the intensity of witnessing live action -- to say nothing of that fact that the viewer of a live youth soccer match usually (and quite literally) has skin in the game -- plays an important role in how the viewer perceives the action, and further that the viewer's physical and psychological proximity to the action impacts how they ultimately perceive the 'quality' of the game.

Long story short, my suggestion is that watching these matches live is very likely to create a different reaction than watching on YouTube, even in a "neutral" viewer. Setting all of this theorizing aside for a minute, these teams have proven themselves to be among the best in the country at their age groups, so maybe this is about as good as it gets with girls' soccer at U15 and U16? Or, as coach Belichick would say, "Hey, it is what it is."

Comment

My observation has almost always been that watching a video -- as opposed to spectating live, in person -- tends to expose poor technique, strategy and decision making much more so than does watching the same game live. Moreover, by virtue of its perspective being different than that of the human eye, that camera also tends to slow down the action relative to how those same events would be perceived by someone watching live.

There is also the psychology of the viewer that comes into play and how that affects perception. My hypothesis here is that the intensity of witnessing live action -- to say nothing of that fact that the viewer of a live youth soccer match usually (and quite literally) has skin in the game -- plays an important role in how the viewer perceives the action, and further that the viewer's physical and psychological proximity to the action impacts how they ultimately perceive the 'quality' of the game.

Long story short, my suggestion is that watching these matches live is very likely to create a different reaction than watching on YouTube, even in a "neutral" viewer. Setting all of this theorizing aside for a minute, these teams have proven themselves to be among the best in the country at their age groups, so maybe this is about as good as it gets with girls' soccer at U15 and U16? Or, as coach Belichick would say, "Hey, it is what it is."
                  Agree to an extent on the execution, but even as poor as some of the play might appear you can still see what the teams are trying to do tactically and that what was really being critiqued here.

Comment

Trust me, i didnt watch the whole game...just about ten minutes while I had a cup of coffee. I read the various threads about ECNL, NPL, Maple and everyone crapping on the other all the time as this site is quite entertaining. I dont get to see a lot of girls soccer since my daughters do other things and only my son plays. So I am curious as to why people are dumping on the style of this game as it looked pretty good to me. I haven't seen other girls that age play in any sort of "championship" game and I was just curious as to whether people really thought the caliber in such a big game was that bad and how it compared to the caliber in the other championships. Or , was this simply more of the same ECNL sucks/ECNL is the greatest argument. That's all.
                    Seems like an awful lot of wondering in 10 minutes for someone not directly involved.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheECNL

https://www.youtube.com/user/usyouth/videos

Comment

Seems like an awful lot of wondering in 10 minutes for someone not directly involved.
                        Really ?....i took about 60 seconds to write the first post and another 60 seconds the other. Is there a reason you seem so concerned about my question. Its pretty simple actually....i really only see boys play and rarely see the older girls play. No idea how at that age group how they compare. So i watched the video for a little while as i drank some coffee and then asked about it. If I had an actual axe to grind of some sort, i would have no problem being quite direct about it. I see people's comments criticizing the style of play when what i saw seemed pretty good. But its possible that I simply am not looking at it with the right lens because I have nothing to compare it to except for boys the same age. Not sure why you seem so intent on thinking this is some sort of conspiracy. It was simply asked to get an answer or at least some opinions. If you actually have a daughter who plays at that level I would actually be interested in what you or anyone else thinks so I can better understand what is expected of girls that age in such a game. That's all

Comment

Really ?....i took about 60 seconds to write the first post and another 60 seconds the other. Is there a reason you seem so concerned about my question. Its pretty simple actually....i really only see boys play and rarely see the older girls play. No idea how at that age group how they compare. So i watched the video for a little while as i drank some coffee and then asked about it. If I had an actual axe to grind of some sort, i would have no problem being quite direct about it. I see people's comments criticizing the style of play when what i saw seemed pretty good. But its possible that I simply am not looking at it with the right lens because I have nothing to compare it to except for boys the same age. Not sure why you seem so intent on thinking this is some sort of conspiracy. It was simply asked to get an answer or at least some opinions. If you actually have a daughter who plays at that level I would actually be interested in what you or anyone else thinks so I can better understand what is expected of girls that age in such a game. That's all
                          You will have to excuse the poster questioning your motivation. Go figure that YOU came to a forum that is called talking soccer to actually talk about ....well soccer.
                          Cheers and enjoy the coffee Friday morning reading this.

Comment

It's just Perspective being his usual nutjob self. Tedious.

Comment

It's just Perspective being his usual nutjob self. Tedious.
                              Just not-BTDT imagining--like the mentally unhinged person he is--that only he has powers of anonymous post detection, contrary to his own ranting about the impossibility of anonymous post detection. Would be too funny, if he weren't dead serious.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X