Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    5-4-1....incredible? 6-1 is a real bad score no matter how you twist it or turn it. Did you notice that breakers and so FSA and everybody else qualified for 'nationals" ? What a joke. Last place teams "qualified" for "nationals ".
    I don't think you really care about the facts, but for others a few clarifications...

For the 14's and the 18's only the top 16 teams nationally qualify for Seattle and Stars sent teams in both brackets.

For the 15's, 16's and 17's there are various levels of competition and the Stars teams were in the most competitive bracket in all 3 age groups.

But you already knew that, didn't you?

Comment

Let's just clarify the situation.

There basically three different competitive groupings (Champion, N American, and Showcase) of teams in the ECNL which loosely translate into almost D1, D2 and D3?

My understanding of the way this "national" event works is the top 32 teams based upon their results from the season are grouped into the Championship bracket and these are the only teams eligible to compete for the actual ECNL championship. The next 45 teams in an age group compete in the N. American bracket (or D2) and only the top 16 teams out of those 45 actually qualify for this event. The remaining 29 teams compete in the Showcase (D3) bracket and only 16 qualify for this event.

The Championship bracket split up into 8 groups of 4 with the top team from each grouping advancing while the N. American and Showcase brackets are split into groupings of 4 with the top team from each advancing to the playoffs in their respective brackets.

The way to evaluate how a team/club does at this type of event is by comparing their end of season ranking against their final ranking at the end of the weekend. Obviously any team that claims the championship trophy for the bracket has to be considered as having a successful season. I would also suggest that anyone who finishes the weekend ranked higher than they were at the end of the season also has to considered as having a successful season. It is the teams that go in the opposite direction where you really have to look and question just how good a year they had.

Comment

Let's just clarify the situation.

There basically three different competitive groupings (Champion, N American, and Showcase) of teams in the ECNL which loosely translate into almost D1, D2 and D3?

My understanding of the way this "national" event works is the top 32 teams based upon their results from the season are grouped into the Championship bracket and these are the only teams eligible to compete for the actual ECNL championship. The next 45 teams in an age group compete in the N. American bracket (or D2) and only the top 16 teams out of those 45 actually qualify for this event. The remaining 29 teams compete in the Showcase (D3) bracket and only 16 qualify for this event.

The Championship bracket split up into 8 groups of 4 with the top team from each grouping advancing while the N. American and Showcase brackets are split into groupings of 4 with the top team from each advancing to the playoffs in their respective brackets.

The way to evaluate how a team/club does at this type of event is by comparing their end of season ranking against their final ranking at the end of the weekend. Obviously any team that claims the championship trophy for the bracket has to be considered as having a successful season. I would also suggest that anyone who finishes the weekend ranked higher than they were at the end of the season also has to considered as having a successful season. It is the teams that go in the opposite direction where you really have to look and question just how good a year they had.
        What a bunch of BS. If you suck in your own conference, you should stay home. If you win it you deserve to compete with the other conference winners to find the true champions. In a system where there is no promotion or demotion all these crap is nonsense.

Comment

What a bunch of BS. If you suck in your own conference, you should stay home. If you win it you deserve to compete with the other conference winners to find the true champions. In a system where there is no promotion or demotion all these crap is nonsense.
          As a parent with a player in the NPL I have got to ask you where the heck are your kids playing these days? This is pretty much standard fare in all of these championship series. Its nothing but an extension of everyone gets a trophy but it's pretty much everywhere in every one of the leagues.

Comment

As a parent with a player in the NPL I have got to ask you where the heck are your kids playing these days? This is pretty much standard fare in all of these championship series. Its nothing but an extension of everyone gets a trophy but it's pretty much everywhere in every one of the leagues.
            You are not a parent in the NPL. If you were you would know that only the Champions in their conferences or/and regional NEP cup champions are going to Indiana to compete deservingly so in those two national events. Not EVERYONE like ECNL are going to the " national" event. You got caught lying.

Comment

You are not a parent in the NPL. If you were you would know that only the Champions in their conferences or/and regional NEP cup champions are going to Indiana to compete deservingly so in those two national events. Not EVERYONE like ECNL are going to the " national" event. You got caught lying.
              Thanks BB and BR. The coaching geniuses of this elite club. We all know Indiana is the biggest joke going......

Comment

Looking at big picture US soccer, creation fo ECNL always seemed to be on questionable footing because small sample sizes means too many uncompetitive games. I am not picking on FC Stars here. Stars U14 girls had 72 goals for/8 against in league play, a +64 goal differential. Incredible numbers but suggestive of poor competition. Then they lost 6-1 in ECNL playoffs.

How do we as a growing soccer nation believe with a straight face that such disparity in an "elite" league harbors future success? Do any of these kids just go play soccer if mom and dad are not driving (or flying) to a game or practice? Watching the WWC, I think you can see how the other countries skills have improved exponentially while the US relies on athleticism, decades long Title 9 lead and American willpower. Not sure these elite leagues mean much in the long run.

I'm sure a Stars parent will tee off now but please-- keep your eye on the road from Seattle while typing.

I know this is a troll thread but ...

The 16s and 17s have played just one game, in any case they made it to the "big dance".
                The 14s did lose 6-1 to the probable top team in the country by 6-1 after winning their first 2 games.

Cumulative record: 5-4-1
                That seems pretty credible.
                Just making it to nationals is an achievement and the Stars qualified teams in every age group - not bad. I have kids that play for NEFC and Stars. I really don't see the need to belittle either one, or any other club for that matter.

Comment

Looking at big picture US soccer, creation fo ECNL always seemed to be on questionable footing because small sample sizes means too many uncompetitive games. I am not picking on FC Stars here. Stars U14 girls had 72 goals for/8 against in league play, a +64 goal differential. Incredible numbers but suggestive of poor competition. Then they lost 6-1 in ECNL playoffs.

How do we as a growing soccer nation believe with a straight face that such disparity in an "elite" league harbors future success? Do any of these kids just go play soccer if mom and dad are not driving (or flying) to a game or practice? Watching the WWC, I think you can see how the other countries skills have improved exponentially while the US relies on athleticism, decades long Title 9 lead and American willpower. Not sure these elite leagues mean much in the long run.

I'm sure a Stars parent will tee off now but please-- keep your eye on the road from Seattle while typing.
                  Thank you for sharing your comments.

Comment

Let's not make a big deal out of a 6-1 loss by the Star's 14's. The team that beat them, the San Diego Surf, is the best team in the ENTIRE country! Stars is the only team to score a goal off of them in the tournament. This same Surf team won the the US Youth Nationals last year and beat SSS 4-0 en route to that championship. Most of you are so uneducated and have no idea. You see one score, a 6-1 loss, and you think this represents the entire Stars organization. You see a 6-1 loss and all of a sudden the future of the US Woman's national team is in jeopardy! Bunch of idiots on this site.

Comment

We're just chatting here about a few things so feel free to chime in. And congrats on scoring that 1 goal, terrific! Too bad about the 6 goals that went in the other way! Was there a tornado or something that blew the balls in?

Let's not make a big deal out of a 6-1 loss by the Star's 14's. The team that beat them, the San Diego Surf, is the best team in the ENTIRE country! Stars is the only team to score a goal off of them in the tournament. This same Surf team won the the US Youth Nationals last year and beat SSS 4-0 en route to that championship. Most of you are so uneducated and have no idea. You see one score, a 6-1 loss, and you think this represents the entire Stars organization. You see a 6-1 loss and all of a sudden the future of the US Woman's national team is in jeopardy! Bunch of idiots on this site.

Comment

You either ignorant or Something else. You totally missed the point of that post and I am not who posted it. Yes something is wrong with the set up, league, system, or whatever you want to call it when a team preludes so well and cruises towards final championship and then lose 6-1. There is no other way of manipulating numbers here to reason that this was a competitive match.

Comment

We're just chatting here about a few things so feel free to chime in. And congrats on scoring that 1 goal, terrific! Too bad about the 6 goals that went in the other way! Was there a tornado or something that blew the balls in?
                          How's the whiskey down there in the Mountaineer State, DBDB?

Comment

Absolutely do have a player in the NPL so you can rant and rave all that you like. My daughter is a U18 and I'll be saying so long to site in a very short time so you can diss me all that you like but I started with club soccer back when the MAPLE meant something and have been through all of the recent "landscape" changes over the past few years. I can safely tell you that the grass is not greener in any of these leagues at this point. IMHO they are all completely watered down and these so called national titles are all basically a farce. Further more I think you singling out the ECNL in this case is about as stupid as it gets because there isn't anything that is any better OR any worse.. just less expensive.

Comment

Absolutely do have a player in the NPL so you can rant and rave all that you like. My daughter is a U18 and I'll be saying so long to site in a very short time so you can diss me all that you like but I started with club soccer back when the MAPLE meant something and have been through all of the recent "landscape" changes over the past few years. I can safely tell you that the grass is not greener in any of these leagues at this point. IMHO they are all completely watered down and these so called national titles are all basically a farce. Further more I think you singling out the ECNL in this case is about as stupid as it gets because there isn't anything that is any better OR any worse.. just less expensive.
                              If you said that going to the national events is pretty much a fare for everyone you are completely wrong. If you are a parent of an 18 player, rest assured that only one team representing Massachusetts and the Npl region at nationals. So your concept that everyone is getting the trophy crap is wrong and yes only ECNL sends everyone to national event. Slob all you want. You are a farce and liar.

Comment

If you said that going to the national events is pretty much a fare for everyone you are completely wrong. If you are a parent of an 18 player, rest assured that only one team representing Massachusetts and the Npl region at nationals. So your concept that everyone is getting the trophy crap is wrong and yes only ECNL sends everyone to national event. Slob all you want. You are a farce and liar.
                                U18s got schooled in there last game in the west losing 5 to 1. Realized it's all for kicks and giggles until you figure out the $$$ spent and noticed the team hasn't improved much over 4 yrs. Safe travels......

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X