Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Typical commitment timeline for D2 or D3?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Congrats to your daughter. Glad it is working out for her.

Curious. It sounds like your daughter focused on one school. How early did that happen? Was there any dance of "if you like me I will like you"? Did she apply early? (We hear that many D3 coaches want the recruit to apply early if they want support. Was that true for your daughter?) It sounds like your daughter got coach's support on the early side; as a recruit would you describe her as a likely impact player? After two seasons would you now describe her as an impact player on her college team?

Thank you in advance.
    At the top tier D3 schools, you have to apply early if you want the coaches support. Maybe things fall apart for the coach such that he ends up having a spot after ED, but you can't really bank on that.

Keep in mind that both the players and the coaches are engaged in a dance at the really competitive admissions schools. The coach may tell your kid they are very interested, but if the coach gets all the kids they want who are higher on their list, they may not have a spot to offer with admissions. You can't just blame the coach, because the players are doing the same thing (eg, they're telling Bowdoin that they want to go there, but then get a promise of support from Williams so jump ship; meanwhile, the Williams coach thinks they have a player until the player finds out they have support at Yale, or vice versa...). One thing I was told which I think was good advice- once it comes down to the serious conversations with the coach about support, make sure the parent is part of the conversation. In my experience, the coaches will be straight with you, but sometimes they need to be pushed a little bit (and the kids hear what they want). We had one guy where it sounded like he was telling my kid that she had support, but when I pushed for some clarity, it wasn't support (instead, it was- I hope you come here and I think you'll see the field a decent amount starting with sophomore year, and I think you'll get in without my support because your grades/scores are good, but you're not on my list of 6 going to admissions). Very different than what my kid thought she had heard.

Comment

At the top tier D3 schools, you have to apply early if you want the coaches support. Maybe things fall apart for the coach such that he ends up having a spot after ED, but you can't really bank on that.

Keep in mind that both the players and the coaches are engaged in a dance at the really competitive admissions schools. The coach may tell your kid they are very interested, but if the coach gets all the kids they want who are higher on their list, they may not have a spot to offer with admissions. You can't just blame the coach, because the players are doing the same thing (eg, they're telling Bowdoin that they want to go there, but then get a promise of support from Williams so jump ship; meanwhile, the Williams coach thinks they have a player until the player finds out they have support at Yale, or vice versa...). One thing I was told which I think was good advice- once it comes down to the serious conversations with the coach about support, make sure the parent is part of the conversation. In my experience, the coaches will be straight with you, but sometimes they need to be pushed a little bit (and the kids hear what they want). We had one guy where it sounded like he was telling my kid that she had support, but when I pushed for some clarity, it wasn't support (instead, it was- I hope you come here and I think you'll see the field a decent amount starting with sophomore year, and I think you'll get in without my support because your grades/scores are good, but you're not on my list of 6 going to admissions). Very different than what my kid thought she had heard.

Thank you for sharing. Sounds like you have NESCAC experience. It is widely known that the NESCAC schools have a formalized system of preferences for athletes. For example, see below:

http://bowdoinorient.com/article/9151

I have not been able to discover similar information about other good D3 leagues like UAA and NEWMAC. Do you have any insight about these other leagues?

Comment

Someone mentioned they had their D send a video. How did you have this made?
        Thx

Comment

We visited and corresponded with UAA schools and NESCAC. UAA schools seemed to have a more varied timeline - two in particular - we were invited to campus for full day in junior spring which included attending class and a great meeting with a professor. The challenge here was that they truly wouldn't tell her admittance until the actual acceptance. They did do an early read on her transcript and coach was pretty aggressive after Dec junior year tournaments but it seemed admissions stood firm on policy. By July, we had an offer of support from a strong NESCAC, and a preference for that school, so she withdrew interest from the UAA.

Great points from poster above with numbered points. Much of that info is accurate from our experience. Patriot League has some great schools. We visited with coaches in that league as well.

Much to the dismay of the snarky poster, I wish this thread existed when my daughter was in HS. It's so hard to get good info on d3. And everyone does have a different experience but any guidance/experience sharing helps.

Comment

Sorry for reviving this old thread.

While discussing the Ivies, I was surprised, unless I missed it, that the Academic Index was not addressed. Below is a link to some information about it all. There may be an old thread within this forum that more directly discusses recruiting by the Ivies but I am short on time this morning and too lazy to find it. If anyone finds anything, please link to it. In the meantime, here is a blog discussing some of it:

http://www.tier1athletics.org/2012/1...lculator-2012/

Comment

Mr. know it all is wrong again. Many schools have academic minimums. The NCAA has minimums. Ivies have tougher minimums. Service academies have higher standards also.

Maybe FDU has no standards.
              Duke does!

Comment

and we all know that Perspective's kid couldn't meet them which is why he went D3

Comment

Duke does!
                  Why does everyone keep picking on FDU?
                  Are you referring to Farleigh-Dickinson?
                  They are not a bad school and they have a decent soccer program to boot.

Comment

Why does everyone keep picking on FDU?
                    Are you referring to Farleigh-Dickinson?
                    They are not a bad school and they have a decent soccer program to boot.
                    Yes, Fairleigh-Dickinson. BTDT's older daughter started at FDU before transferring to MCLA.

Comment

Yes, Fairleigh-Dickinson. BTDT's older daughter started at FDU before transferring to MCLA.
                      It is intended to be an insult and then Stars supporters wonder why their club gets bashed the way it does. Go figure.

Comment

It is intended to be an insult and then Stars supporters wonder why their club gets bashed the way it does. Go figure.
                        It is more of an attack against BTDT than against FDU. For whatever reasons, BTDT pushed his daughter to pursue a D1 scholarship. (Some will allege that it was his ego and his need to have a third generation D1 scholarship athlete.) Supposedly, his daughter was a pretty good student. Some think that BTDT's blind prejudice against D3 soccer and his arrogance prevented him from seriously considering some D3 schools which may have been reasonable academic and soccer fits for his daughter.

Comment

It is more of an attack against BTDT than against FDU. For whatever reasons, BTDT pushed his daughter to pursue a D1 scholarship. (Some will allege that it was his ego and his need to have a third generation D1 scholarship athlete.) Supposedly, his daughter was a pretty good student. Some think that BTDT's blind prejudice against D3 soccer and his arrogance prevented him from seriously considering some D3 schools which may have been reasonable academic and soccer fits for his daughter.
                          You know any of this how? I've been reading the same things you have for years and nowhere did he ever write anything that led me to this conclusions. In fact much of it was almost the opposite. be careful what you wish for. The fact that you use your rather warped interpretation to justify your attacks speaks for itself.

Comment

That, even if it was true, justifies the last 6 years of constant hate and bashing? Too, too funny. Could not be more warped.

Comment

You know any of this how? I've been reading the same things you have for years and nowhere did he ever write anything that led me to this conclusions. In fact much of it was almost the opposite. be careful what you wish for. The fact that you use your rather warped interpretation to justify your attacks speaks for itself.
                              Different poster. That post was 100% accurate. We can link to all of your posts if you like. Your player was a high end D3 player (that you pushed to marginal D1 because you wouldn't allow her to play soccer unless she was "getting paid") AND an above average student by your own description. She safely would have excelled at any D3s ranked between 50-100 in the USA.

Comment

Thanks, BTNT.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X