Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does patriot league offer scholarships?

My daughter is a jr and is looking for a Colloge with both high level of soccer and high level of education. What do people know and think about the patriot legue schools? Holy cross, Bucknell, Colgate I thought did not offer athletic scholorships but recently BU joined and won patriot league and I know they do!

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My daughter is a jr and is looking for a Colloge with both high level of soccer and high level of education. What do people know and think about the patriot legue schools? Holy cross, Bucknell, Colgate I thought did not offer athletic scholorships but recently BU joined and won patriot league and I know they do!
    The league allows soccer scholarships.

Comment

D1-D2 Athletic scholarships. D3 Academic and Financial Need (wink-wink) Do your homework.

Comment

D1-D2 Athletic scholarships. D3 Academic and Financial Need (wink-wink) Do your homework.
        Not that simple. Ivy league is D1 in soccer and has no athletic scholarships.

Comment

The real story on Patriot league athletic scholarships. It's been dicey, but at the moment it looks OK for soccer.

//Athletic scholarships

While need-based financial aid has always been available, athletic scholarships have only been allowed in recent years at Patriot League schools. Basketball scholarships were first allowed beginning with freshmen entering the league in the fall of 1998. In 2001, when American, which gave scholarships in all sports (AU does not play football) entered the league, the league began allowing all schools to do so in sports other than football. Lafayette, the last no athletic scholarships holdout, began granting full rides in basketball and other sports with freshmen entering the school in the fall of 2006. Most Patriot League schools do not give athletic scholarships in a number of sports, and Bucknell only granted them in basketball prior to the addition of football scholarships in 2012.

In the spring of 2009, Fordham University announced that it would start offering football scholarships effective with the fall of 2010. While this action made Fordham ineligible for the league championship, it did open up the question of football scholarships. On February 13, 2012, the Patriot League announced they would begin offering football scholarships. Starting with the 2013 academic year, each school will be allowed no more than the equivalent of 15 scholarships to incoming football players, according to the release. The total number of scholarships cannot exceed 60 in any season,[9] a total only slightly lower than the NCAA limit of 63 scholarship equivalents for FCS programs.

Presidents from six of the seven football schools indicated they would award scholarships in the fall of 2012. Georgetown University did not commit to offer scholarships.[10]
          //

Comment

Does anyone have experience or know more about the coaching staff, style, personality, how they treat their players. Are they different than other d1 schools? Any information on overall girls programs?

Comment

Does anyone have experience or know more about the coaching staff, style, personality, how they treat their players. Are they different than other d1 schools? Any information on overall girls programs?

Many PL schools are different than most D1 schools in that academics come first. They attempt to minimize missed classes, and players sometimes will be late to practice due to a lab. However all do have winter workouts and some spring games - unlike D3's.

I don't know the Colgate or Holy Cross coaches well, but I know Bucknell's Ben Landis has a very good reputation. He was very successful as Dartmouth's head coach but left because he wanted to return to his alma mater. Also loves the area for raising kids. He will be at Bucknell until he retires.

Comment

Which Patriot a league teams are 'Fully Funded' ( I would bet none are). More importantly which Pat Teams have most as Schollys to offer?

Comment

The patriot league uses the academic index same as ivy league

Comment

Many PL schools are different than most D1 schools in that academics come first. They attempt to minimize missed classes, and players sometimes will be late to practice due to a lab. However all do have winter workouts and some spring games - unlike D3's.

I don't know the Colgate or Holy Cross coaches well, but I know Bucknell's Ben Landis has a very good reputation. He was very successful as Dartmouth's head coach but left because he wanted to return to his alma mater. Also loves the area for raising kids. He will be at Bucknell until he retires.

Must be you didn't get the memo.......Landis got fired back in February. Rumor is that they hired a real coach.

Comment

Must be you didn't get the memo.......Landis got fired back in February. Rumor is that they hired a real coach.
                      The post was from a year ago, before the coach was fired.

Comment

The post was from a year ago, before the coach was fired.
                        Point being he won't be there forever. And while we are on the subject of Bucknell and scholarships there has been innuendo that Landis purposely threw the 2011 season just to make sure the women's soccer program got scholarship money. Check it out. Their record in 2011 and when the women's program started to give scholarships.

Comment

Point being he won't be there forever. And while we are on the subject of Bucknell and scholarships there has been innuendo that Landis purposely threw the 2011 season just to make sure the women's soccer program got scholarship money. Check it out. Their record in 2011 and when the women's program started to give scholarships.

There are NO such rumors. You are an idiot. To begin with, scholarship were approved solely as a Title IX balance to football scholarships. Once the PL approved football scholarships, it was mandatory to offer soccer scholarships as well. The official approval by the Patriot League was in January 2012 - although everyone knew it was going to happen by the Fall of 2011. Look it up!

I have been closely involved in the Patriot League for years and there has never been any innuendo about throwing games. That is just sheer stupidity.

Comment

There are NO such rumors. You are an idiot. To begin with, scholarship were approved solely as a Title IX balance to football scholarships. Once the PL approved football scholarships, it was mandatory to offer soccer scholarships as well. The official approval by the Patriot League was in January 2012 - although everyone knew it was going to happen by the Fall of 2011. Look it up!

I have been closely involved in the Patriot League for years and there has never been any innuendo about throwing games. That is just sheer stupidity.

You're right, it was probably just poor coaching.

Comment

Sorry to say but I guess you aren't as involved in the Patriot League as you think. The Title IX balance required that scholarships be offered to women's sports but not necessarily to women's soccer. Take note of the following:

"In February of 2012, our university released the news about Bucknell transitioning to football scholarships, and the potential for this to have an effect on the women’s side of things. As our staff has been hoping, this past week our University selected women’s soccer as one of the women’s sports that would transition to having “athletic-merit aid” to offset the football scholarship move. This transition to merit-aid is only available to us moving forward beginning with the Bucknell Class of 2017 (the class entering in 2013)."

The source, you may ask, of this text? Why none other than the then head coach of Bucknell women's soccer himself.

So I DID look it up.........either you don't know what your're talking about or the coach was outright lying.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X