NESCAC Info...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many players are dropped - one way or the other. They quit on their own after minimal or no playing time. Others are outright cut. Injuries, too much time pressure from other things, and the realization that they need to work towards a career, not a sport, also factor in.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Many players are dropped - one way or the other. They quit on their own after minimal or no playing time. Others are outright cut. Injuries, too much time pressure from other things, and the realization that they need to work towards a career, not a sport, also factor in.
      Based on friends' kids in NESCAC programs, for those who have been on the team for a year or two, they are not typically cut. They may not get playing time, but unless they are malcontents the coach does not cut them.

NH

Comment

How many players do NESCACs typically recruit and/or invite to preseason?
        At least on the girls side, most teams usually have a "recruiting class" of 5-10 girls. This includes all the players (i) who have accepted an offer of admission and (ii) whom the coach has basically assured have a spot on the team even before preseason. An email that identifies the girls in the recruiting class goes to the returning team members (or at least the captains) in late spring and the girls in the recruiting class are included in the coach's and captain's preseason email distributions. I'm not sure about girls not in the recruiting class but invited to tryouts.

Comment

At D3 schools, like the NESCAC schools, kids are often not willing to continue with a sport when it's clear that there's not going to be a lot of playing time. These kids have plenty of other things going on, are now deep into their majors by junior year, and can dabble in other sports or activities rather than stay with the team. There are others that love the sport so much, and perhaps value the structure and inclusion that being on a team offers, that they continue with the team through graduation. I know many friends of both mindsets. Don't forget, if a kid knows that playing time will be limited, it's much easier to justify taking a junior year abroad, pick up ultimate frisbee, join a play, etc.
          Also be aware of the recruiting pitch that the Coach encourages the players to go abroad during the spring of their junior year....its all lip service....those who go abroad (even starters) have a strike against them. If they have the opportunity to go abroad and they want to, the player should (mine did) and it was the greatest experience of his life, however he (and all the other players who went abroad) was in the dog house with the coach for most of his senior season. Those who didn't go abroad were elevated in standing for their "commitment" (remember no scholarships and the original pitch of its perfectly fine to go abroad). Didn't matter in my players case he still started, but he and the others were in the dog house throughout camp and the early part of the season. You should thoroughly investigate each team and coach in the NESCAC for this little bit of "bait and switch".

Comment

Also be aware of the recruiting pitch that the Coach encourages the players to go abroad during the spring of their junior year....its all lip service....those who go abroad (even starters) have a strike against them. If they have the opportunity to go abroad and they want to, the player should (mine did) and it was the greatest experience of his life, however he (and all the other players who went abroad) was in the dog house with the coach for most of his senior season. Those who didn't go abroad were elevated in standing for their "commitment" (remember no scholarships and the original pitch of its perfectly fine to go abroad). Didn't matter in my players case he still started, but he and the others were in the dog house throughout camp and the early part of the season. You should thoroughly investigate each team and coach in the NESCAC for this little bit of "bait and switch".
            Not just confined to NESCAC schools as many coaches of high level DIII programs have this attitude. Kids who had been stars and coaches pets saw much less playing time and some were cut while they were still abroad on my son's team.

Comment

Not just confined to NESCAC schools as many coaches of high level DIII programs have this attitude. Kids who had been stars and coaches pets saw much less playing time and some were cut while they were still abroad on my son's team.
              I've heard that as well from others in DIII programs. Still it's a better chance than with D I. And being a realist I hope that by junior year my kid is becoming more focused on his future and life experiences, not just soccer. If he gets cut/little PT for something that he really wants to do (and we strongly encourage - both the wife and I did time abroad) then that's a choice he has to make

Comment

I've heard that as well from others in DIII programs. Still it's a better chance than with D I. And being a realist I hope that by junior year my kid is becoming more focused on his future and life experiences, not just soccer. If he gets cut/little PT for something that he really wants to do (and we strongly encourage - both the wife and I did time abroad) then that's a choice he has to make
                The only NESCAC coach that I could think of on the men's side that would be so petty and vindictive would be JS of Amherst. He is embarrassing. He's less coach and more state school frat boy.

Comment

Unfortunately many kids don't really learn about a coach's true personality until they are fully immersed in a program. Many college coaches are silky smooth with their promises. You have to do a lot of asking around. Normally part of the recruiting process involves an on campus stay and meeting current players. Ask lots and lots of questions then. Also try and compare year-to-year turnover on the rosters - it's a warning sign.

Comment

The only NESCAC coach that I could think of on the men's side that would be so petty and vindictive would be JS of Amherst. He is embarrassing. He's less coach and more state school frat boy.
                    The negativity against going abroad is not just limited to Amherst as it is found at a few other NESCAC's I know from first hand experience.

Comment

The negativity against going abroad is not just limited to Amherst as it is found at a few other NESCAC's I know from first hand experience.
                      I always found this negative line of thinking against going abroad truly amazing at the NESCAC's as (1) no one is on scholarship and (2) there is no sanctioned "spring" season.

Comment

Just curious-why the attrition? What happens to the juniors and seniors? Injury? Quit?
                        NCAA statistics show that on average only 50% of freshmen wind up playing their full 4 years of eligibility. It can be many reasons: injury; lack of play time; workload / inability to manage time; coaching changes; desire for a social life beyond athletics; academic conflicts (some majors have clinical hours, studio hours or other requirements outside the classroom that make it impossible to attend practices/games).

Comment

I always found this negative line of thinking against going abroad truly amazing at the NESCAC's as (1) no one is on scholarship and (2) there is no sanctioned "spring" season.
                          Some players find a local team overseas to play on.

Comment

Some players find a local team overseas to play on.
                            True, all the players I know did join a team and play while abroad, but going abroad was still viewed as a big negative with the Coach which of course was not well received by the players. Coach could have turned it into a positive but instead chose the negative route and disrupted team chemistry in the end.

Comment

What a thoroughly biased vew.

Here is an unbiased view: He is the most successful coach in the NESCAC since he came aboard and his players are incredibly loyal to him.

Comment

What a thoroughly biased vew.

Here is an unbiased view: He is the most successful coach in the NESCAC since he came aboard and his players are incredibly loyal to him.
                                Bit of bias in that post. Loyalty is subjective. Game stats are fact based.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X