Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain merits/drawbacks of formations?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone explain merits/drawbacks of formations?

For example, 4 vs 3 in back?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Well, with one, you have four in the back.
    With the other, you have three in the back.
    Hope this helps...

Comment

Hope this helps...
      There is plenty of soccer one now. Watch everything except the ball. That will help answer your question.

Comment

Hope this helps...
        Heaven forbid someone should attemp to use TS to learn something. I forgot TS exists for the sole purpose of providing douche bags a forum for being douchy. Have you had your shot at feeling superior for the day, YPDMF?

Comment

Heaven forbid someone should attemp to use TS to learn something. I forgot TS exists for the sole purpose of providing douche bags a forum for being douchy. Have you had your shot at feeling superior for the day, YPDMF?
          Depends really on the system of play and playing to the strengths of your squad as well as the opposing team. 4-2-3-1 is in favor everywhere although many successful teams play with other formations such as a 4-3-3. My suggestion would be to read up on this. Start with something related to modern tactics and formations.

Comment

Most all teams play with 4 in the back, either as 4 flat back or the two inside backs playing staggered, basically making the back line like a diamond. With the diamond, the deep back (sweeper) doesn't having normally have marking responsibilities and is free to roam to clean up the through balls. The up back (digger) will usually marks the striker. With the 4 flat back, you can work the offsides trap better. When you see only 3 back, usually that means that team is losing and they brought up an extra midfielder or attacker to tie up the game.

Comment

Most all teams play with 4 in the back, either as 4 flat back or the two inside backs playing staggered, basically making the back line like a diamond. With the diamond, the deep back (sweeper) doesn't having normally have marking responsibilities and is free to roam to clean up the through balls. The up back (digger) will usually marks the striker. With the 4 flat back, you can work the offsides trap better. When you see only 3 back, usually that means that team is losing and they brought up an extra midfielder or attacker to tie up the game.
              Meant stopper, not digger.

Comment

Thank you to the two people who provided a salient response to my question.

Comment

Try google.
                  YPDMF? Please elaborate.
                  Nice that you use heaven as your first word and finish with such a linguistic flourish...

Comment

Try google.
                    YPDMF? Please elaborate.
                    Nice that you use heaven as your first word and finish with such a linguistic flourish...
                    Google it... It's not a compliment.

Comment

It all depends on you defenders strenghts. Do you want to play zonal or man marking . You can do both with either 3 or 4. Do you have the time as a coach to teach zonal if not you may want to use 3 with one stopping. Sweeper stopper. The clubs try to sell you on 4 zonal marking for development like of you don't use it your going to hell. You just can't put 4 defenders and hope the kids will play it the right way.

Comment

I appreciate the good answers too and I'm not the OP.

My son's a defender; would love to learn more about what a good sweeper is meant to do. I would think they need good game intelligence to anticipate where the ball will be anywhere across the back of the field.

Comment

I appreciate the good answers too and I'm not the OP.

My son's a defender; would love to learn more about what a good sweeper is meant to do. I would think they need good game intelligence to anticipate where the ball will be anywhere across the back of the field.
                          Please don't teach "stopper" or "sweeper". You need intelligence and anticipation in all positions

Watch the Euros and Copa and you will learn for yourself

Comment

Please don't teach "stopper" or "sweeper". You need intelligence and anticipation in all positions

Watch the Euros and Copa and you will learn for yourself
                            Teach? I don't teach my son about soccer, that's what his coach is for. I am trying to educate myself.

Agreed you need intelligence and anticipation in all positions and yes we are watching the euros, thanks.

Comment

Teach? I don't teach my son about soccer, that's what his coach is for. I am trying to educate myself.

Agreed you need intelligence and anticipation in all positions and yes we are watching the euros, thanks.
                              If he wants to be a good defender sweeper or not he needs dicipline. Always cover his other defenders. That means he needs to learn the correct distance and angles.
                              God tackler. Know when to tackle ,know when to push to weaker side. He needs quick feet to catch up to speedy forwards or recover to defensive position. He needs to be good in their with timing of defensive crosses.
                              For me it about dicipline. A non decipline sweeper will not be effective. Hope this helps

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X