Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Developmental question

I have never played soccer or paid much attention to it growing up, thus I'm just getting to know the game better. My U12 daughter started playing club this past year. My question is, at what age is the "make it or break it" age as far as their ability and aptitude for the game? The point where they will either be a great player or just average? U13?U14?
    Thanks.

8. Or 12. Or 18. Or never.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I have never played soccer or paid much attention to it growing up, thus I'm just getting to know the game better. My U12 daughter started playing club this past year. My question is, at what age is the "make it or break it" age as far as their ability and aptitude for the game? The point where they will either be a great player or just average? U13?U14?
      Thanks.
      By 14 you will a good sense of where she stands in relation to the pack unless you are completely unrealistic about her abilities.

Comment

Yet another ultra-vague fiction.

Comment

Thanks.
          Solid footskills should be in place by age 6. Thereafter, focus should be on set plays, bicycle kicks, and flip throw ins.

Comment

Thanks.
            The clubs pick the biggest fastest girls and give them extra game and training opportunities and thus "create" the top players. If your daughter is just average size, or gasp below, your child will pretty much be ignored and used as a sub. Once they pigeon hole your daughter it is virtually impossible for her to get recognized as a great player.

Comment

The clubs pick the biggest fastest girls and give them extra game and training opportunities and thus "create" the top players. If your daughter is just average size, or gasp below, your child will pretty much be ignored and used as a sub. Once they pigeon hole your daughter it is virtually impossible for her to get recognized as a great player.
              I am sorry that your kid is small, fat and slow. Find a sport that demands those qualities. Maybe wrestling?

Comment

This is such bs. My kid plays for a top team at a big club, and I'd hardly call the team big. There are a few that are taller than average, but seriously, the majority are average height or even shorter. What they do have in common however is that they possess some combination of above average speed, technical ability, field awareness and strength/aggressiveness. I am sorry, but those are pretty much the basics for top level youth club soccer players. And those attributes can come in all sizes and shaped kids. If your kid is being overlooked, it isn't because they are small, it probably because they lack too many of the other attributes needed. One of our strongest defenders was well below average height, but was strong and aggressive, plus being fast and technical.

Now town soccer is a different story all together.... there you might have a point.

Comment

Soccer is a sport - one that requires speed, ability, and physical play - for some reason some parents forget that soccer is a contact sport - if the player isn't willing to play hard, they're never going anywhere. There are clearly clubs that will focus on the bigger, faster players over the more skilled but that evens out over time and if they're a solid player, they'll eventually materialize on higher level teams if the club is decent.

For the original question, I think its pretty silly to start thinking about the age of players as though they're going to fail if they're not on the top teams by 12, 13, or 14. They're still developing both mentally and physically - kids are sponges at these ages so there's no clear indicator that by 12-14 you'll know where the kids going to be playing at age 16-17.

Comment

This is such bs. My kid plays for a top team at a big club, and I'd hardly call the team big. There are a few that are taller than average, but seriously, the majority are average height or even shorter. What they do have in common however is that they possess some combination of above average speed, technical ability, field awareness and strength/aggressiveness. I am sorry, but those are pretty much the basics for top level youth club soccer players. And those attributes can come in all sizes and shaped kids. If your kid is being overlooked, it isn't because they are small, it probably because they lack too many of the other attributes needed. One of our strongest defenders was well below average height, but was strong and aggressive, plus being fast and technical.

Now town soccer is a different story all together.... there you might have a point.
                    I was once told by a coach he prefers shorter players because they have better center of gravity. A lot of soccer players are shorter than average. My kid happens to be a giant in height for age. Hoping it turns out ok for her.

Comment

I was once told by a coach he prefers shorter players because they have better center of gravity. A lot of soccer players are shorter than average. My kid happens to be a giant in height for age. Hoping it turns out ok for her.
                      watch the ACL

Comment

watch the ACL
                        What do you mean?? Taller players are more exposed to ACL injuries? Please explain...

Comment

so clubs don't pick "chosen ones" at 10-12 and give them extra opportunities and training?? I guess my first hand observations with two kids and two different clubs over the last 8 years are wrong. I do agree that there are average size players on these teams that have the combination you mentioned. In my view the problem with SOME of them are that they are one trick ponies that are terrible team players. Pass as an absolute last resort and would rather turn the ball over than see their teammate score and then those smaller flashy ones they just get bumped off the ball more often than note - but man can they juggle!

Comment

There are definitely chosen ones and why they are chosen has more to do with money, friendship, and bias, and not so much accomplishment and potential.

Here is a question for the old-timers out there have have been through all of this. What happens to the speedy little kid who is a great dribbler but never passes? I see these kids crush weak competition but against better competition it is like they run into a brick wall over and over and over and their lack of passing really messes up team chemistry. Will good coaching eventually correct this behavior? or are these kids destined to fall to the back of the pack?

Comment

Soccer is a sport - one that requires speed, ability, and physical play - for some reason some parents forget that soccer is a contact sport - if the player isn't willing to play hard, they're never going anywhere. There are clearly clubs that will focus on the bigger, faster players over the more skilled but that evens out over time and if they're a solid player, they'll eventually materialize on higher level teams if the club is decent.

For the original question, I think its pretty silly to start thinking about the age of players as though they're going to fail if they're not on the top teams by 12, 13, or 14. They're still developing both mentally and physically - kids are sponges at these ages so there's no clear indicator that by 12-14 you'll know where the kids going to be playing at age 16-17.
                              Ok. This "soccer is a contact sport" is getting annoying. That vague statement places it in the same realm as hockey, lacrosse, and football in which most contact is allowed. Permissible contact in soccer is, by comparison, quite limited and restricted by very specific parameters. Essentially contact is limited to the shoulders and below but with restricted positioning of the arm. So, to answer the OPs question, it is impossible to determine a players upside until they have physically matured and have matured mentally within the game itself to grasp tactical concepts and execute them by using a technical base. That being said the time frame for demonstrating sufficient competence on the field is entirely dependent on the real (not stated) philosophy of the club they play for. A strong player at ANY age will find a home on a top club. Coaches aren't stupid. They don't care whether a kid is a late bloomer or early bloomer - it is all about what they can bring to the team right now. And that depends largely on what the team needs are. Could be smaller and quick with a touch around the net. Could be big and fast and mentally tough for defending or countering. You are lucky if you have 4-5 four tool players. The rest of your roster is filled with players that fill various roles. Personally I would stay away from a club that is loaded with height outliers at 5-7+. To me that demonstrates narrow mindedness and obsession with size which is one of reasons why we are weaker than we should be in international competition.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X