Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Sounds like burnout. Are you sure she is ready to focus on a new sport to try and compete at a "top" level?

The reality is you can't be an excellent hockey player without knowing how to skate like it's second nature and the best players learned to skate at a very young age. With soccer,

With soccer, the best players learned their technical skill with the ball at an early age. 13yo is somewhat old to be learning how to juggle, dribbling technique for possession and speed, use all surfaces of the feet to manipulate the ball, 1v1 skills, etc. Many of these foundation skills need to be hard wired by 13 so more advanced skills can be learned and tactics, positional play can be the focus. Ex., if you can't manipulate the ball with your peripheral vision while keeping your head up and surveying the field, your speed of play and decision making will suffer.

Your daughter will be focusing on learning (or relearning) the basics while the "Elite" player is refining their movements off the ball, advanced positional play and improving their speed of play. There are only so many hours available to train and play without injury and if her foundation isn't strong, she is likely too far behind to catch up to be a "top" player. I'd recommend letting her play for fun if she really wants to play soccer now.

FWIW, I guarantee you she isn't "kicking" the ball properly. Learning to use the "laces" and not the toe, proper technique like where to plant the foot for the type of kick and follow through on the swing takes lots of practice. More so to do it with either foot equally well. Maybe she is a natural, but in my experience, those who haven't had proper instruction at an early age who seem to shoot or kick hard are usually using the toe.
    Disagree here. Any athlete can pick up another sport at 13 so long as they are willing to put in the time/effort/hard work.

Touches on the ball to develop foot skills is important. Search the internet for technical soccer skills and have her work for hours on her own. If she really wants it, she'll put in the work and get there.

I know many an "Elite" player that doesn't spend time outside of practice, on their own, continuing to develop their skills.

You can't teach drive/determination. But if you have it, it will get you far.

Comment

Disagree here. Any athlete can pick up another sport at 13 so long as they are willing to put in the time/effort/hard work.

Touches on the ball to develop foot skills is important. Search the internet for technical soccer skills and have her work for hours on her own. If she really wants it, she'll put in the work and get there.

I know many an "Elite" player that doesn't spend time outside of practice, on their own, continuing to develop their skills.

You can't teach drive/determination. But if you have it, it will get you far.
      Perhaps the OPs kid doesn't want to become "elite." Many TS posters think everyone must aspire to this or it isn't worth pursuing. How about some kids just want to play a sport, be decent at it and have fun?

Comment

Perhaps the OPs kid doesn't want to become "elite." Many TS posters think everyone must aspire to this or it isn't worth pursuing. How about some kids just want to play a sport, be decent at it and have fun?
        Except the OP said they want their kid to play at top level. The posters are just responding to OP's own words.

Comment

I suspect this is yet another troll thread planted by one of the usual suspects

Comment

I suspect this is yet another troll thread planted by one of the usual suspects
            Duh, ya think.
            But you gotta love the responses-laces, really?
            The crowd just keeps getting dumber.

Comment

Duh, ya think.
              But you gotta love the responses-laces, really?
              The crowd just keeps getting dumber.
              I think that lengthy response was from the op. It has all the hallmarks of a certain poster who shall not be named

Comment

I think that lengthy response was from the op. It has all the hallmarks of a certain poster who shall not be named
                OP here. It is the first time I have posted on this site. I find it to be both informative and a bit entertaining.

Comment

OP here. It is the first time I have posted on this site. I find it to be both informative and a bit entertaining.
                  I find it entertaining and a bit informative. Add in more than a little maddening.

Comment

Just curious: how did you know to ask on TS? How did you hear about the site? How did you not see all the numerous threads (including one about the best U13 teams with thousands of posts) and somehow decided to start your own thread?

...not expecting an answer to these questions. Trolls can't answer legit questions.
                    Not the OP, but just want to say this site is easy to find. My D is new to club soccer this year and all I did was google some key words and the threads popped up. Of course, that has just resulted in a new obsession with this site and lots of insight into the parents!

Comment

You're completely full of crap and we know who you are. Obvious from the first post and then you confirmed by saying something no newbiw would ever say like "I know I came to the right place!" with the ridiculous add-on of an exclamation point. Just tell us what you really wanted to say and how great your club is.

Comment

You're completely full of crap and we know who you are. Obvious from the first post and then you confirmed by saying something no newbiw would ever say like "I know I came to the right place!" with the ridiculous add-on of an exclamation point. Just tell us what you really wanted to say and how great your club is.

The crazy is strong with this one...

Comment

The crazy is strong with this one...
                          Choked on my lunch laughing! Just made my lunch break. Thanks for the laugh. The whole reason I read TS.

Comment

Choked on my lunch laughing! Just made my lunch break. Thanks for the laugh. The whole reason I read TS.
                            Haven't been this entertained on here in awhile. This thread may soon become an instant classic

Comment

Did you ever play hockey, BTDT?

Comment

Did you ever play hockey, BTDT?
                                OP here. No I never played soccer. Why did you call me BTDT?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X