Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian College Recruiting/Scholarships

Anyone know anything about how scholarships work in Canada - daughter has an interest in McGill University and their website doesn't provide much info and given its not in the US, I wonder if anyone on here has any info.

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Anyone know anything about how scholarships work in Canada - daughter has an interest in McGill University and their website doesn't provide much info and given its not in the US, I wonder if anyone on here has any info.
    Call the financial aid office.

Comment

http://www.ncsasports.org/athletic-s...ll-university#

Tuition is super cheap for Quebec residents at public Universities, but other provincial students & international students pay a much larger fee. Sales Tax in Quebec is 17%...

Still... An international Student is only paying around $20,000 per year in tuition & fees excluding living expenses. Montreal's rent is far cheaper than any major city in America too, but Fridge & Oven aren't included!

Contact the coaching staff for best info on scholarship awards.

Bonne Chance!

Comment

Tough to get into but a great school and very affordable compared to similar quality schools in the US. Friend's son played another sport there. My understanding is there's basically no money for sports but again tuition is much lower.

Comment

While some of the teams might be quite good, sports at Canadian universities in different than in the US- more like a club sport. They can have some athletic scholarship money, but I think that's a relatively new phenomenon (and the numbers are generally low).

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            While some of the teams might be quite good, sports at Canadian universities in different than in the US- more like a club sport. They can have some athletic scholarship money, but I think that's a relatively new phenomenon (and the numbers are generally low).
            That's what it seemed like from the site. Definitely seemed like sports was an after-thought once accepted, and that sports plays no role in the application process. Not a bad thing, but it means there's a chance that you could find yourself at a school and not playing (assuming the player was set on playing in college). The cost and scholarship money is a little easier to deal with than the fact that the player might not actually be on the team.

Comment

That's what it seemed like from the site. Definitely seemed like sports was an after-thought once accepted, and that sports plays no role in the application process. Not a bad thing, but it means there's a chance that you could find yourself at a school and not playing (assuming the player was set on playing in college). The cost and scholarship money is a little easier to deal with than the fact that the player might not actually be on the team.
              But that's almost true in the US as well. D3 "offers" are verbal, (although coaches try to avoid not fulfilling a promise as it can hurt their future recruiting efforts) and D1 and D2 players can be cut at will - the vast majority of contracts are just for one year. It's all a risk, which is why you should be excited about the school first and foremost. Getting to play a sport for a few years is a bonus.

Comment

But that's almost true in the US as well. D3 "offers" are verbal, (although coaches try to avoid not fulfilling a promise as it can hurt their future recruiting efforts) and D1 and D2 players can be cut at will - the vast majority of contracts are just for one year. It's all a risk, which is why you should be excited about the school first and foremost. Getting to play a sport for a few years is a bonus.
                Yeah, but with the way its described here, you'd have to go through the entire application, acceptance process before you even tryout for the team. That's a little different than what you'd see in the US for even D3 no?

Either way, I agree the choice is first for the school and academics, but for a player who really wants to play in college - my sense is this is a bit less "sure" than if you were offered a spot via typical recruiting in the US. Totally understand that can happen and you still not play but at least you'd know you were on the team before accepting (even if just for the 1st year).

Comment

Yeah, but with the way its described here, you'd have to go through the entire application, acceptance process before you even tryout for the team. That's a little different than what you'd see in the US for even D3 no?

Either way, I agree the choice is first for the school and academics, but for a player who really wants to play in college - my sense is this is a bit less "sure" than if you were offered a spot via typical recruiting in the US. Totally understand that can happen and you still not play but at least you'd know you were on the team before accepting (even if just for the 1st year).
                  like the poster said go for the academics- which are excellent there btw. it's great if you can play in college, not the end of the world if you can't. even players who do really want to play don't end up doing so for a variety of reasons.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X