Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I also know players who aren't as athletic, but never turn over the ball because they had to develop skill and vision to compensate for being slower than opponents. Then again, I also know slow players who don't have skill or vision. They'll be lucky to play high school soccer...
    And I know high schools who cut those players because there just aren't enough spots, but no worries, the local club will be glad to have them in for a "tryout" and find them a spot, just have mom and dad bring the checkbook.

Comment

And I know high schools who cut those players because there just aren't enough spots, but no worries, the local club will be glad to have them in for a "tryout" and find them a spot, just have mom and dad bring the checkbook.
      Nothing wrong with that if the child, parent, and club are all on the same page about where Mia is and what she wants to get out of club soccer. That's what B/C teams are for.

Comment

In true soccer cultures the idea of "cutting" players (and thereby ending their involvement in the game) is NON-EXISTENT. There are of course different levels, and not everyone is on the first team, but if there is interest from those willing to be on a B, C, D or Z team, there is a place to play.

That is how you build a soccer culture--not from the 'Elites' down, but from the "Willing" on up.

I've noticed some of the all-boys 'athletic factory' high schools are starting to do this with basketball teams--"Freshman A", "Freshman B", JV1, JV2 etc. Good!

If something about a "mom with a checkbook" offends you, my bet is you grit your teeth when you put the solitary polish on your undersized manhood.

Comment

Nothing wrong with that if the child, parent, and club are all on the same page about where Mia is and what she wants to get out of club soccer. That's what B/C teams are for.
          Yeah, that happens a lot. LOL

Comment

In true soccer cultures the idea of "cutting" players (and thereby ending their involvement in the game) is NON-EXISTENT. There are of course different levels, and not everyone is on the first team, but if there is interest from those willing to be on a B, C, D or Z team, there is a place to play.

That is how you build a soccer culture--not from the 'Elites' down, but from the "Willing" on up.

I've noticed some of the all-boys 'athletic factory' high schools are starting to do this with basketball teams--"Freshman A", "Freshman B", JV1, JV2 etc. Good!

If something about a "mom with a checkbook" offends you, my bet is you grit your teeth when you put the solitary polish on your undersized manhood.
            You completely misunderstood the criticism, but given that you seem to simultaneously advocate participation as an integral part of a soccer culture while defending pay-to-play, I'm not surprised.

Comment

So parents spent money for club soccer so their kid could come up short at tryouts, go back to the club, and continue playing on the C team because, hey, they're all on the same page with what Mia is getting from playing club soccer?

Comment

Found that out at U11, when my kid asked to play something other than center back. Coach said he'd love to move her around, but they were trying to win games to get to top tournaments so he'd only play her in other positions against weaker teams.

At U13 coach admitted it was more about winning vs development...
                Rarely will they admit it. Our U11 coach was just fired going into the winter break because certain parents were not happy with the teams performance this fall. The club claims to be about development but what kind of message did they just send to the other coaches ? You can bet no one will be playing anything but their best 1 or 2 positions from here on out.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X