Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soccer IQ

Trying to better understand the game. Can someone please provide a couple of specific examples of a player exhibiting good soccer IQ?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Trying to better understand the game. Can someone please provide a couple of specific examples of a player exhibiting good soccer IQ?
    The best example that I can think of is not looking for advice on this site.

Comment

There's a book called Soccer IQ by Dan Blank. Available on Amazon. Great examples.

Comment

There's a book called Soccer IQ by Dan Blank. Available on Amazon. Great examples.
        Thanks. I'll check it out.

Comment

http://www.reedswain.com/products/seq1

Comment

Here is couple: Knowing where to be and do ahead of time. (Time as when ball comes or played to space.)

Comment

Here is couple: Knowing where to be and do ahead of time. (Time as when ball comes or played to space.)
              To me that's a big part of it - kind of like a chess master who can anticipate several moves out before they happen

Comment

To me that's a big part of it - kind of like a chess master who can anticipate several moves out before they happen
                So the numbers equate nicely-there are few chess masters, few US soccer players with soccer iq.
                Did not know that anticipation can be taught via books...maybe that's our problem.
                But I am positive that there are those on this site that will find a way to blame on coaching.

Soccer iq is taught by playing and watching matches, the second part of which is sorely lacking in this country

Comment

So the numbers equate nicely-there are few chess masters, few US soccer players with soccer iq.
                  Did not know that anticipation can be taught via books...maybe that's our problem.
                  But I am positive that there are those on this site that will find a way to blame on coaching.

Soccer iq is taught by playing and watching matches, the second part of which is sorely lacking in this country
                  It's an absurd dichotomy to argue that "soccer IQ" or game intelligence or whatever you want to call it is either something that can't be taught by a coach to a player or that it is (as if to imply sole responsibility).

So let's come clean here, shall we? What are you trying to say that you seem to be implying, but maybe are being a bit passive-aggressive in your build up to this point?

Are you suggesting that people who think good coaches foster game intelligence, insight, anticipatory skills in players are misguided? Are you suggesting this can't be done in a meaningful way by coaches? Are you suggesting players either have it or they don't?

I'd respectfully ask you to clarify, because without explanation, I'm left to call bull**** on what's been implied.

There's a reason why some kids show great instincts at 8 and others at 10 and others at 12 and others at 14 and others never. *Not all of it is innate ability* to play the game of soccer a certain way that others can't and that they would find on their own by playing and watching. I'm suggesting any coach and take any player and coach a kid up to some chess master level of play either. My point is that there is a recipe of ingredients. Part of that includes the coach and their methods (this applies to technical training and development as well). This also includes the context of age-appropriate.

I suspect any coach that's been around hundreds of players over a long period of time and connecting with them in different ways, experiencing different levels of development success and failure with those players, having contributed to the development process, would agree with this idea of a recipe of ingredients.

I certainly agree there's no substitute for the value of playing and watching the game, but the coach and the methods in training and the match are a difference maker in fostering or retarding game intelligence.

On a last separate point, I've argued for years and years that young kids might love to play, but they aren't fans of the game to the point of being passionate spectators for the most part and I've seen the contrast in my own kids and others I've coached -- kids who watch the game, think about the game, talk about the game, have an advantage and potential to develop an intelligence to play that others don't.

Comment

Watching other matches can really help (and I mean good professional matches, not youth matches). Not many kids here watch professional soccer. Playing FIFA on XBOX is as close as it gets for them.

Comment

For most of the 15 years or so that I've coached soccer in various competitive environments (not ulittles, not town recreational), I've always asked players about being a fan of professional or the international teams, whether they watch or not, and how frequently. I worked it into conversation, I've encouraged it. I can't think of an instance where any kid said they were a fan, watch and watch fairly often where it didn't reflect their passion to play, including on their own time away from training or showing up early and staying after my training to get more touches. I don't think you can force any of it on a kid, but there's something to it.

Comment

Soccer IQ relates to life IQ

Are you who asks why something is done, or do you just do it? Do you ask how it's made, or just use it?

Are you running to a spot on the field because the coach told you so, or do you see how your movement opened space for yourself...or better...someone else. Do you now see what that space created, and how it sets up the next move?

Don't ask the what, ask the why.

Comment

Soccer IQ relates to life IQ

Are you who asks why something is done, or do you just do it? Do you ask how it's made, or just use it?

Are you running to a spot on the field because the coach told you so, or do you see how your movement opened space for yourself...or better...someone else. Do you now see what that space created, and how it sets up the next move?

Don't ask the what, ask the why.
                          True that. And some people simply possess different abilities to visualize and anticipate. Much of it is innate, but it can be improved upon but watching matches, better training and more play time - creative play not formalized games. When it's more for fun there's less pressure and more time to be creative, experiment. We've all bemoaned the lack of a pickup culture in the US and this plays into it.

Comment

Watching other matches can really help (and I mean good professional matches, not youth matches). Not many kids here watch professional soccer. Playing FIFA on XBOX is as close as it gets for them.
                            The responsibility here falls partly on the parents, and, looking at the big picture, comes back to culture again. Not many 8-12 year old kids are going to get up on a Sat. morning and watch EPL by themselves, and this is the age group that needs to be watching the most in order to develop soccer IQ early on.

The best part of watching sports on TV for kids is watching it with someone to share in the excitement when something amazing happens or even to share in the criticism of players who make costly mistakes. Kids with parents who watch pro games with them and point out good or bad play are at a huge advantage. Parents who have no interest in soccer or feel they wouldn't be able to add any instructional value should still really be trying to sit down with their kid to watch a match every week. The kid can pick up enough on their own to make a difference, but without a parent sitting next to them, they'll probably watch junk TV instead.

Comment

Agreed. At times, my daughter will try to do the craziest things, more in practice. Some on the sideline moan, but coach encourages it. She's young, and only way to improve is to try stuff. It's like the mantra of if you never fall down, you'll never learn.

We watch games together and will hit the pause button a lot. DVR is one of the greatest teaching tools there is. So, we'll pause the game and see what happened and why.

Applying it in the game is different challenge, hoping that comes in time.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X