Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can futsal deliver a world-class US soccer star from the inner city?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    But you can just see what the players themselves say:

"Everything I am as a Brazilian player I owe to futsal" - Zico

"In futsal you need to think quick and play quick, so it's easier for you when you move to normal soccer" - Pele

"My time in futsal was incredible, decisive in my life. All players should learn to play soccer by playing futsal" Cristiano Ronaldo

"Futsal is extremely important for kids developing skills and understanding. My touch and dribbling come from playing futsal" - Ronaldinho

"I came out of futsal with the skills necessary to play soccer. I play the same way now as I played on the futsal courts as a child." - Denilson

"As a little boy in Argentina I played futsal on the streets and for my club. It was tremendous fun and it really helped me become who I am today" - Messi

So, to answer your question, I guess there is no way to know if Ronaldinho would have been as good if he didn't play futsal. But according to him, that answer is no. And that's as close to proof as we can get.
    Yes, and if I buy a "My Pillow" I will sleep better. Celebrity endorsements, nice sales tactic. Interesting that a futsal thread is surfacing just as we go to winter break. Anyone have a commercial interest? Anyways, I like futsal. But don't think it will greatly change your kids game. This is sales hype. It is fun for the kids. Take it at that.

Comment

Yes, and if I buy a "My Pillow" I will sleep better. Celebrity endorsements, nice sales tactic. Interesting that a futsal thread is surfacing just as we go to winter break. Anyone have a commercial interest? Anyways, I like futsal. But don't think it will greatly change your kids game. This is sales hype. It is fun for the kids. Take it at that.
      I am the one you quoted, and yes, I have an interest in futsal. However, I did not start this thread, but it was how I knew to pull those quotes! I think you discount it too much if you don't think it will greatly change most kids games. I equate it to playground basketball. Most great basketball players grew up honing their skills on playgrounds. The things you see there, the things you see attempted there, you aren't going to see at a practice with a coach. But its also what develops a Jordan, Iverson, Lebron. We don't have many venues for that freedom of expression in the US Soccer system. I think futsal, above anything else, provides that.

Also, I am not sure how great soccer players talking about the benefits of futsal benefits them commercially? These aren't paid endorsements, they are just talking about their youth and development. Unless all these guys have futsal academies around the world I am unaware of?

Comment

I am the one you quoted, and yes, I have an interest in futsal. However, I did not start this thread, but it was how I knew to pull those quotes! I think you discount it too much if you don't think it will greatly change most kids games. I equate it to playground basketball. Most great basketball players grew up honing their skills on playgrounds. The things you see there, the things you see attempted there, you aren't going to see at a practice with a coach. But its also what develops a Jordan, Iverson, Lebron. We don't have many venues for that freedom of expression in the US Soccer system. I think futsal, above anything else, provides that.

Also, I am not sure how great soccer players talking about the benefits of futsal benefits them commercially? These aren't paid endorsements, they are just talking about their youth and development. Unless all these guys have futsal academies around the world I am unaware of?
        Yes, I agree there are benefits. But the guys you mentioned played either unstructured futsal (small ball) in the streets, with no parents or coaches, or played in school with a small ball, on a smooth surface EVERY day, with their friends from school in a semi-structured environment. Going to a structured, 2-3 week "futsal" program while it may be fun for the kids will not make them better players. It is the DAILY emphasis on unstructured play in school or in streets that makes it worthwhile. A couple of weeks over winter break is no harm and fun for the kids. But it will not make them better players unless somehow it continues, uninterrupted and with little parent involvement. It will not. in this country "travel soccer" eats breakfast, lunch and dinner and leaves no crumbs for anyone else and parents want to control everything under the false notion that it is needed or because they are lacking in their own entertainment sources. So, "futsal" on over the winter by all means but don't be deluded into thinking your kid will be Ronaldinho.

Comment

Yes, I agree there are benefits. But the guys you mentioned played either unstructured futsal (small ball) in the streets, with no parents or coaches, or played in school with a small ball, on a smooth surface EVERY day, with their friends from school in a semi-structured environment. Going to a structured, 2-3 week "futsal" program while it may be fun for the kids will not make them better players. It is the DAILY emphasis on unstructured play in school or in streets that makes it worthwhile. A couple of weeks over winter break is no harm and fun for the kids. But it will not make them better players unless somehow it continues, uninterrupted and with little parent involvement. It will not. in this country "travel soccer" eats breakfast, lunch and dinner and leaves no crumbs for anyone else and parents want to control everything under the false notion that it is needed or because they are lacking in their own entertainment sources. So, "futsal" on over the winter by all means but don't be deluded into thinking your kid will be Ronaldinho.
          Theres a HUGE difference in saying it will make a kid the next Ronaldinho, and letting your kid maximize their ability. You seem to be dismissing it all together. Playing futsal regularly year round for most player provides a great benefit to most players that choose to do so. Most soccer coaches now would love to incorporate it more, the biggest challenge is where to play.

Comment

Theres a HUGE difference in saying it will make a kid the next Ronaldinho, and letting your kid maximize their ability. You seem to be dismissing it all together. Playing futsal regularly year round for most player provides a great benefit to most players that choose to do so. Most soccer coaches now would love to incorporate it more, the biggest challenge is where to play.
            That is not true. You can put up two mini goals on either end of a basketball court and play futsal. Finding a place to play is not a problem.

No large club has committed to futsal as part of their training program. why is this? why are the guys running the winter camps not in-house with large clubs. You find some clubs that laughably equate futsal with mini soccer. What a large south florida club does on Wednesdays is not at all "futsal". So there is a problem that is related to education in the sport. You can probably count in one hand the number of licensed futsal coaches in south florida. as long as futsal is only what kids do 2-3 weeks over winter break, that's not nearly enough to improve your kid.

kids also need to learn to compartmentalize futsal which is sometimes hard for them. a futsal coach wants a kid to take on an opponent w dribble. the soccer coach wants to see a pass with 1 or 2 touches and selectively dribble. this is understandable to adults but very confusing to 8-11 yr olds.

Comment

The answer is why not its a great idea and should be used so many basket ball courts could be converted Futsal is the way to go !

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X